GDT: CZE - FIN May 10, 2024

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Around the 55-minute mark, Mäenalanen tried to deliver a hit on Gudas in front of the benches, Gudas ducked out of the way, causing Mäenalanen to trip and land shoulder-first against the boards, which took him out of the game.

IMO it wasn't really a dirty play by Gudas. A bit of a pest move, perhaps, but as a Finn, complaining about pests feels a tad hypocritical. A far dumber move by Gudas was mistaking hockey for wrestling at the waning minutes, it could have cost his team the game.
I wasn't saying it was dirty, just a bit of dumb play.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Oh good! Then we can invite the Canes players as grandstand guests? Jagr supports the Czechs as a spectator. Then Aho, TT, Kotka and co can do that too. Very good idea! :nod::naughty::laugh:
I mean, they'd probably enjoy Prague.lol I obviously had no idea the team was full.. apologies!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Well, him being him, a rat is a rat, though, yeah, that looked pretty innocent, but with him you never know.

Really? I pretty much only remember Jarkko Ruutu of any notable fame.
Ruutu, Tikkanen, Komarov, Nieminen, Kotkaniemi is somewhat of a pest, then some loval guys like Tyrvainen, Sallinen, Jalasvaara, Hartikainen, Savinainen aswell

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I always hoped Puljujärvi would develop that part of his game. His smile is scary. He is probably too friendly.

Christian Ruuttu dipped into that pool, but I think it was mostly against the Red Wings. All Blackhawk players became thugs in those games, but Christian also drew quite a few penalties due to being annoying.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
In my view, this was both better than expected and exactly as I feared. Better than expected because the Czechs managed to blank the Fins, and exactly as expected because I was wondering - along with most other Czech fans - where on earth the goals were going to come from, given that Rulik has chosen to leave proven goal scorers at home who were available and willing to play. (I am not talking about lack of availability beyond our control, like Pastrnak, but players who actually were available and score goals...)

Dostal was stellar - again, as expected. The defence was fine. Looks like the classic Czech approach of relying on a hot keeper and hoping that somehow someone scores. The style of play was as expected, but players were harmonising a lot better than in their previous outing against Finland last week. They played with heart, skated a lot, worked hard - again, as expected. This is not going to be enough against Sweden, the US or Canada.

We should perhaps not forget though that this is a decent result - the last two times the Czechs played against Finland at the world championships the results were 0-3 and 0-1, so it is not unusual that we do not score against Finland.

Finland was very boring to look at, much like the Finnish-coached Czech team last year. I am so pleased that our Jalonen is no longer there, he had us play like the Finnish team's Jalonen. (But Finland is geared for it and that style has brought them much success - it is not for us though.)

I cannot disagree with Gudas (quote from the IIHF article) -

"Our coaches did a pretty good job with pre-scouting," Gudas said. "We know exactly how they play. They play a little boring hockey. I think we were pretty good defensively as well."

I am very disappointed by Palat's goal being taken away. It is ludicrous, in particular if at the same time the coach’s challenge against one of Germany's goals against Slovakia was unsuccessful. The long tradition of poor and inconsistent refereeing at IIHF tournaments continues.

Last edited:

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Czechia should have a Czech coach.
The Finnish style of to kill your opponent in boredom.
Just keep the puck behind your own goal until you opponent falls in sleep.
Then score when everybody is sleeping.

The Czech style is hard and active counter punch.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Czechia should have a Czech coach.
The Finnish style of to kill your opponent in boredom.
Just keep the puck behind your own goal until you opponent falls in sleep.
Then score when everybody is sleeping.

The Czech style is hard and active counter punch.

This style is working for the New York Rangers in the playoffs to this point.

Just saying...

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Can someone explain to me the uproar about Gudas ducking the Mäenalanen hit? To me, it makes sense to try to avoid a hit when you can. Is Gudas' ducking the hit against the rules somehow - or against a "code"? I am genuinely interested.

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
Can someone explain to me the uproar about Gudas ducking the Mäenalanen hit? To me, it makes sense to try to avoid a hit when you can. Is Gudas' ducking the hit against the rules somehow - or against a "code"? I am genuinely interested.
Exactly. He should probably let the Finn to destroy him :D It was a great game, the goal should have been allowed, no doubts. Germany goal against Slovakia was more to be disallowed than this one. Even without anybody near goalie, Palát would score, he was so fast. We were robbed by the refs. And now let´s hope for Marty Nečas or somebody from Boston, to be fair, I wish them success in SC play-offs, but the situation doesn´t look good especially for the Canes. Today I read about not taking Kulich, Klapka, Smejkal or Rousek, they do not have exprience lol. Finns took 17 y-o kid and we are not taking player as Kulich? Let´s hope for Jiříček or Blümel. I really miss Vrána, Ticháček and Rychlovský in the roster, they were so good in preps and still didn´t make it to the roster :( Sorry for a little WoT.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So I didn't know what hit they were referring too... I honestly assumed that the guy he tackled from behind in the final minute got hurt. Eg. Gudas got a penalty at minute 59 for a tackle and I thought that guy was hurt. When I realized it was for ducking a hit and the charging player hit the boards... that's not illegal at all. That's not even drity. Heck, I have a thread on the mains of Necas doing that to Trouba in the playoffs.lol I'll support a dislike of Gudas (I love him ftr) but that, to me, didn't look flagrant or illegal at all. To me it looked like a Finn tryed to blow him up, missed and injured himself. Obviously, others disagree and that's ok too!

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
In my view, this was both better than expected and exactly as I feared. Better than expected because the Czechs managed to blank the Fins, and exactly as expected because I was wondering - along with most other Czech fans - where on earth the goals were going to come from, given that Rulik has chosen to leave proven goal scorers at home who were available and willing to play. (I am not talking about lack of availability beyond our control, like Pastrnak, but players who actually were available and score goals...)

Dostal was stellar - again, as expected. The defence was fine. Looks like the classic Czech approach of relying on a hot keeper and hoping that somehow someone scores. The style of play was as expected, but players were harmonising a lot better than in their previous outing against Finland last week. They played with heart, skated a lot, worked hard - again, as expected. This is not going to be enough against Sweden, the US or Canada.

We should perhaps not forget though that this is a decent result - the last two times the Czechs played against Finland at the world championships the results were 0-3 and 0-1, so it is not unusual that we do not score against Finland.

Finland was very boring to look at, much like the Finnish-coached Czech team last year. I am so pleased that our Jalonen is no longer there, he had us play like the Finnish team's Jalonen. (But Finland is geared for it and that style has brought them much success - it is not for us though.)

I cannot disagree with Gudas (quote from the IIHF article) -

"Our coaches did a pretty good job with pre-scouting," Gudas said. "We know exactly how they play. They play a little boring hockey. I think we were pretty good defensively as well."

I am very disappointed by Palat's goal being taken away. It is ludicrous, in particular if at the same time the coach’s challenge against one of Germany's goals against Slovakia was unsuccessful. The long tradition of poor and inconsistent refereeing at IIHF tournaments continues.
Perfect summary.. now we beat Finland, Rulik is a genius and we will finish at least 2nd in the pool and then get an easier quarter.

Except, we both know, that isn't how it's going to go. Our Norway game will look just like yesterday and we could easily lose. We can't score. We legitmately don't have quality finishers.

I've already looked and am curious which one of Norway, GBR, Denmark or Austria take points off us. And, of course, the Swiss. I can't help but see one 2-1 or 3-2 struggle after another. Things feel great this morning but this team is still lacking a lot. Obviously, a few playoff eliminations and things can change quick for us. Go NYR Go! Necas might be available by the third period against Norway today!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Perfect summary.. now we beat Finland, Rulik is a genius and we will finish at least 2nd in the pool and then get an easier quarter.

Except, we both know, that isn't how it's going to go. Our Norway game will look just like yesterday and we could easily lose. We can't score. We legitmately don't have quality finishers.

I've already looked and am curious which one of Norway, GBR, Denmark or Austria take points off us. And, of course, the Swiss. I can't help but see one 2-1 or 3-2 struggle after another. Things feel great this morning but this team is still lacking a lot. Obviously, a few playoff eliminations and things can change quick for us. Go NYR Go! Necas might be available by the third period against Norway today!
I agree with all that. And Norway has often been an uncomfortable opponent for us, even with much better teams. I remember one world championship that we won, and the only loss of points came in a draw (I think 2-2) with Norway. (It is so long ago that group games could end in draws..) And of course the loss against Norway on the way to the 2010 gold. We have problems with “houževnatý” opponents. Even when we have players who can actually score.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Exactly. He should probably let the Finn to destroy him :D It was a great game, the goal should have been allowed, no doubts. Germany goal against Slovakia was more to be disallowed than this one. Even without anybody near goalie, Palát would score, he was so fast. We were robbed by the refs. And now let´s hope for Marty Nečas or somebody from Boston, to be fair, I wish them success in SC play-offs, but the situation doesn´t look good especially for the Canes. Today I read about not taking Kulich, Klapka, Smejkal or Rousek, they do not have exprience lol. Finns took 17 y-o kid and we are not taking player as Kulich? Let´s hope for Jiříček or Blümel. I really miss Vrána, Ticháček and Rychlovský in the roster, they were so good in preps and still didn´t make it to the roster :( Sorry for a little WoT.
Apparently on rules they say that if you go to goalie zone by yourself, there is a chance that the goal is disallowed, like it should've been in the previous game. Officiating in inconsistent, in Finnish coaches pov also the goal in Germany game should've been disallowed, it was literally the same.

Saablic

Feb 8, 2017
Czech Republic
Apparently on rules they say that if you go to goalie zone by yourself, there is a chance that the goal is disallowed, like it should've been in the previous game. Officiating in inconsistent, in Finnish coaches pov also the goal in Germany game should've been disallowed, it was literally the same.
And did you see today match between Poland and Latvia? That LAT goal, allowed after the coach challenge? Unbelievable, absolutely ridiculous. Polish goalie head was almost cutted off and after that, Latvian player was smashing with his stick under his body. These refs are disgusting, nothing more. In fact, they are killing this sport.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
And did you see today match between Poland and Latvia? That LAT goal, allowed after the coach challenge? Unbelievable, absolutely ridiculous. Polish goalie head was almost cutted off and after that, Latvian player was smashing with his stick under his body. These refs are disgusting, nothing more. In fact, they are killing this sport.
Its a shame refs have been so bad and its not even an old thing. Its a shame. Super inconsistent..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad