Mike Hoffman | Part II UPDATE: Off to Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Simple fact of the matter - Hoff doesn't deserve more than 1 year... If he thinks he does, regardless of job security, he needs to pull his head out.

1 good year doesn't mean the Senators owe him anything.

Take a year @ 3.75 MAX and then we'll look at term afterwards...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Simple fact of the matter - Hoff doesn't deserve more than 1 year... If he thinks he does, regardless of job security, he needs to pull his head out.

It really isn't as outrageous as you're making it seem

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Take a look at the Anders Lee contract... it only pays him $2M next year and if you'd asked me at the end of the season what Hoffman should be signed for on a 1 year deal I'd have said between $2.0 and $2.5M; no more. I don't see the case for an arbitration award of more than $3M if it's more than that I'd have to think long and hard about taking it.

I'm not convinced he's going to have success next season let alone 4 seasons from now so I wouldn't sign a long term deal either. I like what he did last season, but watching him closely I didn't see the makings of a long term NHL player let alone a consistent 20+ goal scorer worth $4M per year as some here are saying he should be paid.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Trade him with one of Wier/Cowen,and a pick or something and get a more proven LW ,cleans up our roster .While bumping up some other kids before they overcook in the ahl :nod:

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Why doesnt he deserve job security? He was a key part of the team last year, I dont think he should receive $4M/4Y offer but I dont see much risk with 2 year deal.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010

Exactly bro. you know how many guys come in, pop 20-25, think they're brett ****ing hull and demand to be paid like a superstar... they're one and done.. playing in the E the next season, scraping the dirty grout of their apartment bath-tub in ****ing Kalamazoo...

just cannot believe the guy is holding out and didn't show up for dev camp. shutup and sign your contract bud.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Exactly bro. you know how many guys come in, pop 20-25, think they're brett ****ing hull and demand to be paid like a superstar... they're one and done.. playing in the E the next season, scraping the dirty grout of their apartment bath-tub in ****ing Kalamazoo...

just cannot believe the guy is holding out and didn't show up for dev camp. shutup and sign your contract bud.

I think he might being told you can get a long term deal just hold out.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010

Why would he go to the development camp? he's not a prospect...

He's not holding out on anything, it's a negotiation that takes time. Settling this in arbitration isn't a big deal...

Christ, you lot do realise he's still on our team right? Some of the comments in here are ridiculous.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He's not holding out on anything, it's a negotiation that takes time. Settling this in arbitration isn't a big deal...

Christ, you lot do realise he's still on our team right? Some of the comments in here are ridiculous.

It's Proust, he's the Sen's boards sarcasm Captain

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The game tying goal against the Penguins late in the year was the moment he sold me for good.

The guy can just flat out score.

He's proven that his shot and speed can make him a dangerous goalscorer in the NHL. Good enough to overcome his size.

I don't see any reason to doubt why he won't continue do it in the future.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

You forgot to say "entertaining" and "comedic" too!

WhiteLight*

How about $3m for one year contract or $2m per year for 4 years.

he would be foolish to accept that

I think he deserves more than Zib, less than Stone.

2.7-3.1 range for either 1 or 2 years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The game tying goal against the Penguins late in the year was the moment he sold me for good.

The guy can just flat out score.

He's proven that his shot and speed can make him a dangerous goalscorer in the NHL. Good enough to overcome his size.

I don't see any reason to doubt why he won't continue do it in the future.

Oddly enough he was on a pretty extended cold streak up until then, and hadn't been much of a factor at all. The problem with Hoffman was that when he runs cold he stops being an asset on the ice, thus he was moved down the lineup and put in more sheltered positions. The problem there is that he ends up playing with lesser quality linemates, which hinders his scoring ability.

He scores in bunches, runs cold, and his play away from the puck leaves much to be desired. He can fix that last bit so that when he runs cold he's still an asset to the team, and his linemates, but he's not there yet.

He needs to show improvement as a player this upcoming year, AS WELL as being able to sustain his scoring, if he wants a long term pay day. He also needs to do this if he wants to stay in the top six permanently. Guys look for this type of commitment from each other, if he can't do it he won't be here long.

Spezza was given the gears every year for his defensive play and he's better defensively than Hoffman, and miles better offensively. Hoffman better see the writing on the wall here quick!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Oddly enough he was on a pretty extended cold streak up until then, and hadn't been much of a factor at all. The problem with Hoffman was that when he runs cold he stops being an asset on the ice, thus he was moved down the lineup and put in more sheltered positions. The problem there is that he ends up playing with lesser quality linemates, which hinders his scoring ability.

He scores in bunches, runs cold, and his play away from the puck leaves much to be desired. He can fix that last bit so that when he runs cold he's still an asset to the team, and his linemates, but he's not there yet.

He needs to show improvement as a player this upcoming year, AS WELL as being able to sustain his scoring, if he wants a long term pay day. He also needs to do this if he wants to stay in the top six permanently. Guys look for this type of commitment from each other, if he can't do it he won't be here long.

Spezza was given the gears every year for his defensive play and he's better defensively than Hoffman, and miles better offensively. Hoffman better see the writing on the wall here quick!

Hoffman at least puts in the effort in the D zone, he's just undersized and not very good at coming out of battles with the puck. Spezza was given the gears more for a lack of effort in the D zone than being bad at it imo.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Hoffman at least puts in the effort in the D zone, he's just undersized and not very good at coming out of battles with the puck. Spezza was given the gears more for a lack of effort in the D zone than being bad at it imo.

It's more that Spezza always looked like he wasn't trying because he doesn't make many quick little movements. Little players moving faster always look like their trying hard!

My point was that Hoffman isn't very good, doesn't try very hard, and is not very effective in the D-Zone, regardless of his size (Pageau). It's an area of growth that he needs to solidify so that he doesn't get shifted down the lineup again when he goes through a scorers cold streak.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's more that Spezza always looked like he wasn't trying because he doesn't make many quick little movements. Little players moving faster always look like their trying hard!

My point was that Hoffman isn't very good, doesn't try very hard, and is not very effective in the D-Zone, regardless of his size (Pageau). It's an area of growth that he needs to solidify so that he doesn't get shifted down the lineup again when he goes through a scorers cold streak.

I disagree. Hoffman tries hard. Spezza didn't. Has nothing to do with their size or their stride.

Watch spezza skate for that loose puck before he goes in on his famous goal on theodore in overtime. He's skating at full speed. THAT is what spezza looks skating full speed. now look at his backcheck. Nowhere near the same exuberance in his stride.

Hoffman, on the other hand, i saw skating just as forcefully while backchecking as he does while on the attack. There were even a few times where hoffman pulled a karlsson by skating back at 110% and coming out of screen only to "youink" take the puck and go the other way.

What i love about hoffman is when he tries to create something and loses the puck, he often goes in beast mode to not be benched by becoming a tasmanian devil on the backcheck. Spezza never did this.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think people confuse his good Corsi with good defensive play.

He is good at possession and of course that has huge benefits defensively in terms of shots against but when we don't have the puck he just isn't a sharp defensive mind.

He can catch guys on the back check and that is great and looks impressive but defending a cycle is hard for him.

He is a good overall overall player though and I really hope we get the 1 year deal soon and he makes it hard for them to consider not signing him long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad