Mike Hoffman | Part II UPDATE: Off to Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

NNYSens

Aug 28, 2014
Reason for concern that the Sens said they were going to try to reach out to his agent the beginning of this month and yet there have been no discussions as of yet? I am slightly worried he could be a little hurt about maybe not getting more opportunities to prove himself earlier or that he could be pissed there was talk about waiving him after he was basically the best player in the AHL last year.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Reason for concern that the Sens said they were going to try to reach out to his agent the beginning of this month and yet there have been no discussions as of yet? I am slightly worried he could be a little hurt about maybe not getting more opportunities to prove himself earlier or that he could be pissed there was talk about waiving him after he was basically the best player in the AHL last year.

Im not concerned its Hoffmans choice, the team waived him, and rarely gave him good extended opportunities, he can give them the finger, and sign somewhere good I won't be mad. If he did get the oppertunity that our first rounders got, or Stone/Pageau got early on in his career and he did this, then I would label him an ungrateful little ****. I fell in love with him when he hit a post in his first NHL game, then got stunned when the sens sent him back the next day.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Im not concerned its Hoffmans choice, the team waived him, and rarely gave him good extended opportunities, he can give them the finger, and sign somewhere good I won't be mad. If he did get the oppertunity that our first rounders got, or Stone/Pageau got early on in his career and he did this, then I would label him an ungrateful little ****. I fell in love with him when he hit a post in his first NHL game, then got stunned when the sens sent him back the next day.

As an RFA he'll be with us next year. I'm curious what he signs for. I could see 3 @ 3.5, or even 4 by 4. He is far more valuable that Michalek, Greening, et al.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
As an RFA he'll be with us next year. I'm curious what he signs for. I could see 3 @ 3.5, or even 4 by 4. He is far more valuable that Michalek, Greening, et al.

Johansen signed for $4 mil and he's much more valuable than Hoffman. Both RFAs. Don't see Hoffman getting as much. $2 mil should be tops. He hasn't proven much at the NHL level yet.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

I really doubt he is mad. He is probably incredibly happy... Going to All-Star weekend, having great success, playing with very good linemates. I doubt he is angry or bitter. Why would he be? He is set now to finally become a multi-millionaire and sign likely a medium term guaranteed contract. Probably in the 3-4 million a year range for 3-4 years. He is about to sign a paper that gives him $10 million or more before taxes. Since he has obviously worked very hard to get to this point since he was like 15 or 16... He is finally getting the rewards of a decade of effort.

I don't think getting him to sign a contract will be difficult at all.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010

Why would he get the same opportunity as most of them got though? Our first rounders went in the FIRST ROUND. He was selected in the 5th round. As for his closest comparable (in terms of draft position), Stone, he had 106 and 123 point seasons in the OHL, while Hoffman had one 94 point season in the QMJHL (a higher scoring league). Stone made team Canada for the WJC and was one of the top scorers. Hoffman's one stand out year in the AHL was last year, and so he got a better look this year. He was also given 25 NHL games last year.

Perhaps it's possible he's succeeding now because of the path he took? I'm sure he recognizes that...

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

That's some crazy negative spin to put on the situation.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Pay him and he will stay, all players are fairly simple that way.

No matter how bad we have been last few years Alfie, Spezz, Ryan, Karlsson all have stayed or would have stayed if you paid what they wanted. Hoff will stay if we pay him.

Sidenote: players you hate will also stay if you pay them like Greening or Milo.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lol some of you act like he is a baby

he is a grown man who is playing at the highest level of hockey. Ottawa clearly did something right and he should be grateful that a team gave him this much time to develop even giving him an overager year in the CHL

otown

Sep 4, 2009
What makes anyone think there is any loyalty to the Sens when the contract negotiations start?

This is a guy who has waited and waited and waited for the opportunity to play some consistent minutes and on top of that the team waived him once already.

He has earned his "kick at the can" and his point total isn't going down anytime soon. The ball is in the Hoff's court and given the state of the Sens financial situation are they prepared to open up the wallet?
The Hoff like any NHLer who now has the opportunity to cash in will look at long term security and dollars.
Loyalty to the organization that brought him into the league, gave him limited minutes, sat him off and on and then waived him will not matter in the least.

The Hoff is going to cash in!

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Johansen signed for $4 mil and he's much more valuable than Hoffman. Both RFAs. Don't see Hoffman getting as much. $2 mil should be tops. He hasn't proven much at the NHL level yet.

He should do a midlevel deal in the 3.5 range. Not Michalek money, but close. His next will be his homerun shot. Stone maybe a little less IF he was up this year (he's not). Hoff grade a little higher for me.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What makes anyone think there is any loyalty to the Sens when the contract negotiations start?

This is a guy who has waited and waited and waited for the opportunity to play some consistent minutes and on top of that the team waived him once already.

He has earned his "kick at the can" and his point total isn't going down anytime soon. The ball is in the Hoff's court and given the state of the Sens financial situation are they prepared to open up the wallet?
The Hoff like any NHLer who now has the opportunity to cash in will look at long term security and dollars.
Loyalty to the organization that brought him into the league, gave him limited minutes, sat him off and on and then waived him will not matter in the least.

The ball is not in his court, he is an RFA, who has made the NHL because Ottawa took a gamble on him with a late round pick, developed him slowly, stayed patient, and increased his role as his play elevated.

He was waived because he had to clear waivers to be sent back down to the NHL, not because Ottawa wanted to embarrass him, or make some point about how bad he was.

Get real.

He probably loves the organization, and Murray for giving him the opportunity to grow his skills slowly, as he seems to do, and finally make the big show. Players generally feel loyalty to teams who take a chance on them, and help them develop.

Hoffman will sign a reasonable contract that both sides will be happy about, but no one will be happier than Mike.

Aaaaaand, of course there is loyalty to the organization, it happens all the time. Players take less than they could have gotten as UFA's on the market to continue with the team all the time. Ryan and Michalek did it this last summer, Neil and Phillips have both done it a few times, as has Alfie. We'll likely see Methot do the same because though money is important, players often will take a little less because they want to stay with an organization. It's not like we're contenders, and yet guys STILL want to stay here.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

People are going to flame you for this post but I agree with it. I like Hoffman a lot, and he's a good player so I hope he signs a team friendly deal.

Up until a few months ago the Senators treated Hoffman like he was organizational filler, an AHL lifer who you'd call up to play <10 minutes/game to reinforce an injury depleted roster. He certainly doesn't owe the Senators his undying loyalty or a home town discount at this point.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

He is an RFA. He is going no where. There is no issue with his contract... I don't see why the team and Hoffman would not come to a mutual agreement. Why should we be worried about this?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
People are going to flame you for this post but I agree with it. I like Hoffman a lot, and he's a good player so I hope he signs a team friendly deal.

Up until a few months ago the Senators treated Hoffman like he was organizational filler, an AHL lifer who you'd call up to play <10 minutes/game to reinforce an injury depleted roster. He certainly doesn't owe the Senators his undying loyalty or a home town discount at this point.

That is not accurate. He got called up a couple of years ago and immediately was placed on our top line with Alfie and Turris... Played well for three games then got injured. Hoffman hasn't been treated poorly by the organization at all. Hockey is a business. Everyone knows that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

When he was called up in the lockout year, he played with Turris and Alfredsson on the top line. Not what I'd call being treated like organizational filer.

Last year, he played with the following in order of most common forward linemates;
Zibanejad, Condra, Ryan, Smith, Turris. Lets not pretend he wasn't getting looks on the big lines.

The guy was given opportunities to prove himself and finally did it this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Kinda agree here too. Hoffman was always an afterthrought when management mentioned prospects they were excited about. Even after dominating the ahl last year and being successful at the NHL level, he wasn't given a 1-way even though we were going with the youngest,cheapest roster we could.

Now the 1-way wouldn't bother me if we weren't so quick to give it to other players who showed a little bit for a chunk of a season.

With Hoffman I get the feeling that Ottawa was going "we'll only put you on our team if you force our hand"

Whereas with other prospects you get the "we'll do whatever it takes to get you on our team" feel.

That's all fine as some are drafted higher, but be prepared when that player becomes a desirable player in the league.

Hoffman owes the sens a lot less than say lehner who was coddled according to many reports.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

What are they supposed to do, keep on the roster when he clearly wasn't ready yet?

NNYSens

Aug 28, 2014
I just got the feeling in his interview during the skills comp that he seemed very indifferent about his contract situation and didn't even give the hopeful "I want to be a Senator" feeling that even Methot gives, and look where his contract situation is. I believe he said something along the lines of " I'm a senator now" and that "he doesn't get involved in contract stuff". He kinda gave me the feel that he feels like he isn't in a hurry to get anything done because he thinks with his play will make his value higher the larger sample size teams get. Maybe I'm reading to much into it or not catching the vibes right. Did anyone else see that interview? What did you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad