Injury Report: Mikael Granlund ("Upper Body")

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
There is a massive difference in concussions. People have to realize that just because he has one does not mean he is going the way of Savard or Lindros. If anything I commend Yeo and the medical staff for pulling back and not letting him return before he is fully healthy.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There is a massive difference in concussions. People have to realize that just because he has one does not mean he is going the way of Savard or Lindros. If anything I commend Yeo and the medical staff for pulling back and not letting him return before he is fully healthy.

But they did bring him back before he was fully healthy last week. And this is concussion #3 by my count.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
But they did bring him back before he was fully healthy last week. And this is concussion #3 by my count.

Which he was cleared to play and from what I've read, MG felt fine. Once someone piped up that he shouldn't be playing they removed him completely until they could run the tests. Hell, we didn't even know it was a concussion until when?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
They never announced concussion, but we knew what it was. Kadri bounced his head off the glass and he sat there dazed and trying to shake it off on the bench. Then went out with "an upper body injury". Then a week later skated in practice and played the next day. Lasted, what, 19 seconds? Went to hit a player, went down, then left and hasn't come back.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
He did play after that Kadri hit right?

Yes he did. It was after the Ottawa game that they said he had an upper-body injury.

There's no way we can know how many concussions he's had now or if he was rushed back. He wouldn't have been playing without medical clearance.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Luckily our depth can take these kind of injuries. Still miss him and can't help think that in that situation where Haula got the puck from Crawford and tried to shoot it. There was guy all alone on the right and that is where Granlund would have passed it to and Pominville would have had open net.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
He was cleared to play and obviously told them he could. He wasn't rushed back. Don't need a medical license to connect those dots either.

OpRedDawn*

Okay...they rushed him back last week. You don't need a medical license to connect the dots.

Rushed? If you're ok to play, you're ok. Unless you're saying the team knew he still had ongoing symptoms and made him play, he wasn't rushed back.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I certainly hope no organisation in this league today is knowingly rushing people coming back from concussions. Hard to think that there would be. There's not many dumber business moves than deliberately ruining your investments and assets.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
He would have had to have passed all of the tests to go back, so they certainly didn't send someone back who didn't pass. That being said, there is still so much unknown with head injuries that is left to learn.

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I'll be interested to see if the two games he missed before Phoenix at the end of the year if they reveal if that was a concussion like symptoms he suffered or what not, till then this whole situation is a complete mystery to me.

Just hope the kid can come back and recover soon!

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
It's not like he is the only guy with concussion problems. Im not a doc, but he did try to skate after a one week on that hit, so i don't think he is that far a way. I can be so wrong, but i think he is gonna return before christmas or at least before 2014..

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Any timeline for a return?

Nothing recently. He was skating for a bit and then had a setback and was shut down again.

Could be a week. Could be a month. Could be done for the season. We know pretty much nothing right now :(

space321

May 11, 2011
All I hope is he is 100% before playing again. Crosby doesn't seem to have any problems right now so I'll just hope for the best.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Great to hear, im a big fan of his and all of the Finnish and Swiss youngsters. Hope there is no setbacks and he take it slowly and return better than ever. :)

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
Ultimate solution to all problems:

Parise - Koivu - Niederreiter
Pominville - Granlund - (Biggest goon we can find)
Zucker - (Second biggest goon we can find) - PMB (waivers)
(Third biggest goon we can find) - Brodziak - (Fourth biggest goon we can find)​

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Ultimate solution to all problems:

Parise - Koivu - Niederreiter
Pominville - Granlund - (Biggest goon we can find)
Zucker - (Second biggest goon we can find) - PMB (waivers)
(Third biggest goon we can find) - Brodziak - (Fourth biggest goon we can find)​

Artyukhin :sarcasm:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Artyukhin :sarcasm:

Granlund... Holds the puck in the corner and passes to Pominville who SHOOTS but misses, loose puck as Perry races to grab AND OH DEAR GOD gets absolutely DESTROYED by Evgeny Artyukhin! And Perry is not moving! Big scrum now, but of course our main concern is for Corey Perry who is bleeding profusely...

Yeah, I could live with that. :naughty:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Earlier on the radio Russo said Fletcher told him he was skating on his own again now.

I'd heard something to that effect a couple of days ago from a Finnish source, but I didn't want to get people's hopes up in case it wasn't legit. Good to hear he's feeling at least a little better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad