Injury Report: Mikael Granlund ("Upper Body")

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
They just placed him on IR, so he'll be out for at least a week. I can't believe all the bad luck he's had lately.

https://twitter.com/russostrib/status/406088511108837376

head-desk-bartlett.gif

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I used google translator, becouse i am lazy. I guess you get the idea of the article. Does not look good at all atm :cry: Not pressing the panic button yet but...

http://www.jaakiekkoexpertti.com/mikael-granlundille-jalleen-uusi-paavamma/

"Mikael Granlund for yet another head injury

28/11/2013 7:16 By Marko Ollonqvist Comment

Mikael Granlund is so far in the short hockey career experienced a frightening number of concussions .

21 -year-old Finnish center returned , somewhat surprisingly, the team's lineup last night's match against the Phoenix Coyotes .

Granlund's the case , however, the match ended in 29 seconds of play, when the young center forward got a hard punch to the head, and he had to leave the match.

Second term as North America issued a challenge kiekkoileva Finnish Coyotes player and at the same time the away team's newcomer defenseman Connor Murphy came and tackled Gran Lund completely dark corner . Granlund fell into the ice surface and was only with difficulty vaihtoaition side.

Star Tribune reporter Mike Russo, who writes for that magazine , including blogs from the Minnesota Wild , told the blog that Granlund seemed really heikkovointiselta and in addition to young Finnish dizzy .

Wild head coach Mike Yeo of the Granlund's presence after the match was a little better , but he admitted openly that they were extremely concerned about the Finnish health.

Blow to the head and possible concussion was not really coming from the first to the Oulu Granlund for . In Finland, the man was already suffering a concussion while playing a more and now the NHL's side Granlund has received in the last eight matches of three hard head of community in the region .

The first took place in the Toronto Maple Leafs' Kadri nazem by , and the other had Granlund on the side of the Coyotes match up the trays , was seen as the Ottawa Senators , edited by Marc Methotin .

Granlund's situation is starting to be really a cause for concern because the human brain can withstand only a certain number of concussions , which, however, is individual. In any case, at this rate at Granlund pelaajaura is a very fast package.

You're talking about concussions that are currently in the first place in North America , more than ever , because so far, more than 200 former NHL hockey player has signed a legal challenge to the NHL in which they are seeking compensation for the NHL received head injuries from which inhibit their normal daily lives.

Signatories to the number is expected to rise even further apart from anything else , and when the NHL is not ready to silence the group, in financial terms , such as the NFL did so in front of the potentially long legal battle .

Even in today's players have been concerned about the current situation, among other things, Rick Nash, in respect of which the vast majority of the first period was spent recovering from a concussion , said that things have to change and the players must begin to respect each other in the rink much better."

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
^^ There's nothing in that article we didn't already know. I can tell you that as someone who didn't need Google Translate to read it. Granlund has a concussion history, which is widely known so naturally any additional concussions are a concern, but in the end the healing time and the possible long-term repercussions are highly dependent on the individual in question. The guy who wrote it doesn't have any additional intel on how he's doing, but of course it's always a possibility that head injuries shorten a hockey player's career.

Last edited:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I'm so ****ing tired of these ****ing concussions... bad hits can go **** themselfs.. Nasty NAzem can go **** himself..!

If players cant get there **** together and start respecting each other, then the bans should be stricter..

Hit like the one FBJ took from Kadri.. 10 games.. Easy... This **** has to stop.. even if its our own players that do it..

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
I used google translator, becouse i am lazy. I guess you get the idea of the article. Does not look good at all atm :cry: Not pressing the panic button yet but...

The original article states that Granny had multiple concussions in Finland. Is it just an error and apparently a common one or am I remembering wrong? I only remember one concussion and one minor head injury that everyone was afraid to be a concussion but turned out to be a minor neck injury?

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Very unfortunate.
Potential to be very very good player.

He is only 21--undersized by NHL standards. If Im his agent, Im getting him back to Finland to play on big surface where time and space can be had and where he probably gets a little more respect. The NHL game now is on most nights a real physical battle.

Great kid so it seems, just wish him the best and that overseas is where his future is, IMO.

FlutteringSaucer

Apr 27, 2012
That's what I thought and I'm not trying to downplay the severity of his injuries. Just frustrated that many sources even the Finnish ones often claim that he had multiple concussions in FEL which is simply untrue.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Granny needs to watch Patrick Kane and try to play more like him. He is roughly the same size and doesn't get tagged because he's smart out there.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
If everyone could play like Pat Kane, they would.
Well yeah but my point was about the physical aspect of hockey. Kane would never Ko himself trying to throw a check and he doesn't let people line him up.

Granlund just shouldn't need to get involved in that stuff to be effective.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Well yeah but my point was about the physical aspect of hockey. Kane would never Ko himself trying to throw a check and he doesn't let people line him up.

Granlund just shouldn't need to get involved in that stuff to be effective.

Your problem is with Yeo, not Granlund. Although I have to admit that Yeo has turned Granlund a pretty decent two-way player.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I don't know if I should laugh or cry that Granny has more hits than Koivu, Konopka and Brodziak.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

"Mikael Granlund for yet another head injury

28/11/2013 7:16 By Marko Ollonqvist Comment

Mikael Granlund is so far in the short hockey career experienced a frightening number of concussions .

21 -year-old Finnish center returned , somewhat surprisingly, the team's lineup last night's match against the Phoenix Coyotes .

Granlund's the case , however, the match ended in 29 seconds of play, when the young center forward got a hard punch to the head, and he had to leave the match.

Second term as North America issued a challenge kiekkoileva Finnish Coyotes player and at the same time the away team's newcomer defenseman Connor Murphy came and tackled Gran Lund completely dark corner . Granlund fell into the ice surface and was only with difficulty vaihtoaition side.

Star Tribune reporter Mike Russo, who writes for that magazine , including blogs from the Minnesota Wild , told the blog that Granlund seemed really heikkovointiselta and in addition to young Finnish dizzy .

Wild head coach Mike Yeo of the Granlund's presence after the match was a little better , but he admitted openly that they were extremely concerned about the Finnish health.

Blow to the head and possible concussion was not really coming from the first to the Oulu Granlund for . In Finland, the man was already suffering a concussion while playing a more and now the NHL's side Granlund has received in the last eight matches of three hard head of community in the region .

The first took place in the Toronto Maple Leafs' Kadri nazem by , and the other had Granlund on the side of the Coyotes match up the trays , was seen as the Ottawa Senators , edited by Marc Methotin .

Granlund's situation is starting to be really a cause for concern because the human brain can withstand only a certain number of concussions , which, however, is individual. In any case, at this rate at Granlund pelaajaura is a very fast package.

You're talking about concussions that are currently in the first place in North America , more than ever , because so far, more than 200 former NHL hockey player has signed a legal challenge to the NHL in which they are seeking compensation for the NHL received head injuries from which inhibit their normal daily lives.

Signatories to the number is expected to rise even further apart from anything else , and when the NHL is not ready to silence the group, in financial terms , such as the NFL did so in front of the potentially long legal battle .

Even in today's players have been concerned about the current situation, among other things, Rick Nash, in respect of which the vast majority of the first period was spent recovering from a concussion , said that things have to change and the players must begin to respect each other in the rink much better."

Did you read it before posting it? I mean the original. It's lazy ass tabloid level journalism with so many screwed up facts that the writer should be suspended for 10 games. Illegal **** to the head.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, at first I liked Jääkiekkoexpertti too, but all they do is quote ESPN and Pro Hockey Talk. It's basically full of speculation and the writer's own opinions without any basis.

Read Jatkoaika, US and Twitter instead.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Very unfortunate.

He is only 21--undersized by NHL standards. If Im his agent, Im getting him back to Finland to play on big surface where time and space can be had and where he probably gets a little more respect. The NHL game now is on most nights a real physical battle.

Great kid so it seems, just wish him the best and that overseas is where his future is, IMO.

Really unfortunate if it comes to this. But better to play somewhere than not to play at all.

Is Granlund playing too big? He should change his style less aggressive. -- And after this he surely will. Good or bad but he must play perimeter game.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Very unfortunate.

Stop taking what you're taking.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Very unfortunate.

To me this sounds like you actually wish him to give up on NHL. Thankfully I'm sure he doesn't feel the same way. These head injuries are getting worrisome, but hold your horses people, he's not done yet. Not even close.

On a lighter note, someone said he needs a haircut and that really is true :laugh: I don't know what the heck he is trying to achieve in the hair department, to me he looks more and more like a troll.
Happy-Chappy-Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1059897_229_300.jpg

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Frankly, what Granlund does or doesnt do, has zero effect on my life.

I just care about him as a young man and hope for a long healthy life for him--and if I were his agent or had any say in the matter, I would be very concerned about his long term future in NA.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Frankly, what Granlund does or doesnt do, has zero effect on my life.

I just care about him as a young man and hope for a long healthy life for him--and if I were his agent or had any say in the matter, I would be very concerned about his long term future in NA.

This.

It's definitely a question he must ask himself now.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Regardless of where he plays, Granlund will be risking concussions. I know the NHL is a more physical league, but I'm guessing once you've reached the highest level of play (NHL) it's tough to admit "defeat" by playing in a lower league - especially for an extremely competitive professional athlete who has worked their entire life to reach this point.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Concussions are no different in Europe or in NA. Like it's been said, he already had a concussion in Finland. Maybe we should just wait and see what's gonna happen. Before making any presumptions.

What comes to physicality. Once you start to think it too much and being too careful, you're already lost the game. You're not goint to be effective anymore.

Granlund didn't step back, he went on. **** happened and that's tough. But if you're going to be scared all the time, like what could happen in the next shift.. then it's better to not step on the ice anymore, at all. Not in Europe, not in NA.

Hope for the best, he's a tough kid. Half a man already. Really hope that everything's gonna be alright in the end.

E: One concussion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad