Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Granlund could be argued anywhere from 2nd-6th as the Wild's best player: Suter is 1st (I don't think there is much to debate there); with Dub, Granny, Koivu (centers do get more love than wings), Spurgeon, and Staal ranked in some order. So I can see how he could be left off of an arbitrary list top-100 list.

I do think Granny being on Koivu's line was the best thing for him the last couple of seasons. It helped transform him into a scoring threat instead of the pass first and always player he used to be. He also has become a driver and not a passenger. Some of that come simply from the move from center to wing, for sure.

The stats that jump out at me are his PP production especially in goal scoring. The Wild's PP hasn't changed much over the years, Granny has been a fixture on the halfwall basically since he joined the team. In his first four seasons (~590 PP ToI) he had a total of 4 goals, he's had 14 goals since BB took over as coach (~374 PP ToI). He'll always be a somewhat reluctant shooter and more of a pass first player, but he's at least looking to shoot before it becomes his only option.

I do think it's time to put him on the Staal line with either Nino or Parise. His game has come far enough; I don't think he'll revert to the pass 1st, 2nd, and 3rd player he used to be; to make it a 3 headed monster for goal scoring. Another part of it is I think Koivu's scoring ability has declined to the point of wasting too many of Grade-A scoring chances that it costs the team as a whole.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I seem to recall Zucker and Granlund playing with Staal quite a bit. The way they played last year, i think they should be playing together, but I also liked Coyle and Nino playing with Staal the previous year. If Ek proves himself capable of playing #3C, then that frees up Coyle to be in the top 6, somewhere, though i think he is best suited of all the wings to be an effective 3rd liner. I don't like Parise in a checking role. Granlund and Zucker have to be scoring, and even Nino is wasted unless he is potting goals, IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Koivu is going to be on one of our top 2 lines, and whatever line that is, is going to be our "checking" line. It's also going to be our 2nd scoring line, until Eriksson Ek proves himself to offensively competent at the NHL level.

Reactions: Monkeypox and 2Pair

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought I was hearing noise about Coyle playing 2C, and Koivu 3C?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Coyle seems such a better winger than center. But the team's needs may place him in the middle, but I think it would happen later in that case. Mikko can still play!

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Granlund could be argued anywhere from 2nd-6th as the Wild's best player: Suter is 1st (I don't think there is much to debate there); with Dub, Granny, Koivu (centers do get more love than wings), Spurgeon, and Staal ranked in some order. So I can see how he could be left off of an arbitrary list top-100 list.

I do think Granny being on Koivu's line was the best thing for him the last couple of seasons. It helped transform him into a scoring threat instead of the pass first and always player he used to be. He also has become a driver and not a passenger. Some of that come simply from the move from center to wing, for sure.

The stats that jump out at me are his PP production especially in goal scoring. The Wild's PP hasn't changed much over the years, Granny has been a fixture on the halfwall basically since he joined the team. In his first four seasons (~590 PP ToI) he had a total of 4 goals, he's had 14 goals since BB took over as coach (~374 PP ToI). He'll always be a somewhat reluctant shooter and more of a pass first player, but he's at least looking to shoot before it becomes his only option.

I do think it's time to put him on the Staal line with either Nino or Parise. His game has come far enough; I don't think he'll revert to the pass 1st, 2nd, and 3rd player he used to be; to make it a 3 headed monster for goal scoring. Another part of it is I think Koivu's scoring ability has declined to the point of wasting too many of Grade-A scoring chances that it costs the team as a whole.

Yeah I mean his wrister isn't bad! He has also good hands so it's great that he is finally utilizing them more scoring wise.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Yeah I mean his wrister isn't bad! He has also good hands so it's great that he is finally utilizing them more scoring wise.

It's not good either, seems like he's missing a chromosome to shoot well. And I'm finnish.

I like him playing with Koivu, they both are great passers and generate quite enjoyable situations. They need a fast guy with scorers shot and nerves to go with them. It could have been Parise, but sometimes things that should work just don't.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It's not good either, seems like he's missing a chromosome to shoot well. And I'm finnish.

I like him playing with Koivu, they both are great passers and generate quite enjoyable situations. They need a fast guy with scorers shot and nerves to go with them. It could have been Parise, but sometimes things that should work just don't.

Zucker works well with them. If everything pans out, Kunin could be perfectly fit to what you are describing they need. He has speed and is a shooter, plus him and granny playing on their off wings could be quite effective.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Zucker works well with them. If everything pans out, Kunin could be perfectly fit to what you are describing they need. He has speed and is a shooter, plus him and granny playing on their off wings could be quite effective.

Zucker has worked wonders with them, the 16-17 season proved it.

Even though Koivu is old and slow as the bible, it could still be a line that can shut down and beat other top lines.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Zucker has worked wonders with them, the 16-17 season proved it.

Even though Koivu is old and slow as the bible, it could still be a line that can shut down and beat other top lines.

i agree. i think they should keep that line intact, then have nino staal coyle as the other top 6 line. let the bottom 6 figure out however and let kunin heal up in iowa for now. when, yes when, parise gets hurt you can bring him back up.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
i agree. i think they should keep that line intact, then have nino staal coyle as the other top 6 line. let the bottom 6 figure out however and let kunin heal up in iowa for now. when, yes when, parise gets hurt you can bring him back up.
I’ll make a v bet that Parise plays 75+ games.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I’ll make a v bet that Parise plays 75+ games.

thats still a possible 7 games missed. we all know its more likely he gets injured than plays a full season. id love him playing a full 82 games but no one in their right mind will actually bank on that given his track record the past 5 years.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
thats still a possible 7 games missed. we all know its more likely he gets injured than plays a full season. id love him playing a full 82 games but no one in their right mind will actually bank on that given his track record the past 5 years.
I wouldn’t bank on anyone playing a full 82 games. So many things can happen.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund historically starts a season slow.... not this season!

9pts in the first 10 games.
9pts in the last 7 games.
7 game point streak.
5 goals, 4 assist in that streak.
On pace for 41g, 33a, 74pts

I have a feeling the goal pace will drop and the assist pace will rise, but the points pace will stay rather steady if he stays healthy. Could this be his first 30+ goal season though?

Wabit

May 23, 2016

7 game point streak.

I have a feeling the goal pace will drop and the assist pace will rise, but the points pace will stay rather steady if he stays healthy. Could this be his first 30+ goal season though?

Well he did start out slow, it just lasted a shorter time than usual: 0p, -1 in his first 3 games this year. There was some concern about him after the 3rd game on the forums here. His just needed to find his game timing and not the practice/preseason slower pace.

I do think the 30g mark will be hard for him to pass. I'd like to be proven wrong, but he's still a pass first player. If he gets 25g I'd consider it a good year for him.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017

7 game point streak.

He has been very close past few seasons.

I'll be very optimistic and predict him score 31 + 45 = 76. Career high for Mikke!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well he did start out slow, it just lasted a shorter time than usual: 0p, -1 in his first 3 games this year. There was some concern about him after the 3rd game on the forums here. His just needed to find his game timing and not the practice/preseason slower pace.

I do think the 30g mark will be hard for him to pass. I'd like to be proven wrong, but he's still a pass first player. If he gets 25g I'd consider it a good year for him.
To be fair, the first two games he actually played really well, but his linemates were horrible. By the 3rd game I know I had asked for him to be moved to the Koivu/Parise line... and then he played his first bad game of the season in game 3, was moved game 4 and never looked back.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund beasting it, 12pts in 9 games!
there-are-two-granlunds.jpg

N9oKbPa.jpg

Reactions: Keke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad