Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
wow that was one of the best sniper shots i've ever seen a wild player make. must give credit where credit is due. granlund's gwg vs edm should be a top 10 wild goal this year. c'mon granny lets see ya do it again.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
wow that was one of the best sniper shots i've ever seen a wild player make. must give credit where credit is due. granlund's gwg vs edm should be a top 10 wild goal this year. c'mon granny lets see ya do it again.
Gaborik used to make those look routine... and did them regularly with a blindingly fast release.

Reactions: mattihp

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i dont remember gabby standing still with the goalie in perfect position , i do remember gabby was usually blazing down the side & blasted one past the goalie with deadly accuracy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
i dont remember gabby standing still with the goalie in perfect position , i do remember gabby was usually blazing down the side & blasted one past the goalie with deadly accuracy.
Gaborik had one of the most lethal and quick wrist shots of all time in his prime. He scored more off that wrister than anything.

Those blazing speed runs rarely resulted in goals, as he just wasn't great at scoring on breakaways... which is why he sucked at the shootout when it was implemented as well.

One of my favourite Gaborik goals ever, he was racing down the ice with only Chara ahead of him in a game vs. Ottawa here at the X...I was sitting 4th row on the end in those days, so this play was coming straight at me... Chara was skating all out to try to maintain his position between Gaborik and the goal... Gaborik put on the breaks once he reached the right faceoff dot and came to an almost instant stop. Chara tried to do the same, but couldn't, he lost his footing in the attempt and went down sliding into the boards. By the time Chara hit the boards, Gaborik had unleashed that lethal wrister and roofed it over the goalies shoulder!

I know this is a Granlund thread, but still love to watch old Gaborik highlights...

That video even starts with a standing snipe. ;)

Too bad we couldn't have prime Gaborik with current Granlund!

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Great shot and all, but man did he have to load up to do it.
Yes, but the defense was still thinking he was going to pass in the process. He's such a quick passer, they have to respect that... it's nice that he's improved his shot to that degree that it can be a weapon as well.

Attack the shot, he's got an easy feed to Staal who's in even better position to shoot.

Pick your poison.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, but the defense was still thinking he was going to pass in the process. He's such a quick passer, they have to respect that... it's nice that he's improved his shot to that degree that it can be a weapon as well.

Attack the shot, he's got an easy feed to Staal who's in even better position to shoot.

Pick your poison.
Actaully, LHS has a worse position to shoot when he receives from the Right half wall, but I could care less, as we aren't getting shots off from the C position anyways.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Actaully, LHS has a worse position to shoot when he receives from the Right half wall, but I could care less, as we aren't getting shots off from the C position anyways.
Yes, typically you're right, but on the doorstep in motion like Staal was, he was in a great spot. Could've just tipped a pass past Talbot had a pass come his way.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I know it's the Granlund thread, but that Gaborik clip reminds me more of what I've seen of Kaprizov than anything else.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
granlund's goal was spectacular , i still haven't seen a clip where gabby was standing still in a stairdown with a set goalie and just zipped it by him. but keep trying!

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Yeah, but Gaborik was FAST. KK, not so much.

No arguments here. I'm just commenting that the video posted shows more "in the right place at the right time" goals than it does anything else. At least to my eye it does. And, that seems very typical of KK.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
granlund's goal was spectacular , i still haven't seen a clip where gabby was standing still in a stairdown with a set goalie and just zipped it by him. but keep trying!
That video I posted, Gaborik was literally standing in one spot in the first goal showed. Granlund wasn't even that stationary the other day.

If you just mean Gaborik never took so long before he took the shot, well that's on Granlund for knowing he's not the elite shooter that Gaborik knew he was. Gaborik was never going to think pass in such a situation, nor should he have. Granlund was waiting to see if the defender was going to move off Staal so he could give him an easy tip in, he didn't, so he shot. Gaborik KNEW he was going to score in such a situation, and would have used his world class quick release to do it immediately...
Go watch some highlights. He looks pretty darn quick to me but maybe that’s just me.
Kaprizov has only been described by scouts as having average at best speed.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
still not the same scenario. was gabby standing still? yes ; was he holding the puck deciding whether to pass or shoot? NO; was the goalie set standing still ready for the shot? NO. i cant believe more people arent impressed by granlund's perfect snipe but hey maybe people haven't followed hockey as long as i have.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
still not the same scenario. was gabby standing still? yes ; was he holding the puck deciding whether to pass or shoot? NO; was the goalie set standing still ready for the shot? NO. i cant believe more people arent impressed by granlund's perfect snipe but hey maybe people haven't followed hockey as long as i have.
Was it a nice snipe? Yes, it was.

I just don't think it was this stare down you make it out to be. Granlund was thinking pass like I described above, the Goaltender was thinking pass, the defense was thinking pass... Granlund realized he had to shoot, did, and went bar down on a goaltender already down expecting to need to slide.

Gaborik's snipes were much more impressive in their speed of release, velocity and every bit if not more accurate. His snipes, everyone and their mother knew were coming and still they weren't stopped. The clip above, the goaltender was clearly cheating towards Gaborik, but Gaborik is so quick on the release, and the shot has so much speed, it still beat the goaltender.

Again, Granlund had a great snipe, I said so myself many times before this conversation, but it's not even close to the best snipe from a Wild player. Gaborik has MANY that were better.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
To even compare is like apple vs oranges.

Granlund has an accurate shot, and a good shot. He may even score 30 this year and maybe he will snipe quite a few of those. But his shot will never be like Marian's nor Semin's nor even Kane's who has a wicked fast wrister.

Reactions: FVM and TaLoN

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
To even compare is like apple vs oranges.

Granlund has an accurate shot, and a good shot. He may even score 30 this year and maybe he will snipe quite a few of those. But his shot will never be like Marian's nor Semin's nor even Kane's who has a wicked fast wrister.
Funny how Gaborik and Granlund are mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to goal scoring. Those players are corely different from each other. 30 goal is realism as he has been close before. His shooting percentage is high but if volume stays okay it's very likely to happen. Granlund on the other hand washes those guys with his hockey IQ and playmaking - well maybe not Kane but particularly passing is up there on conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad