Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Even if MiG turns into nothing more than a #2 center, you still NEED those on your team, its not like having a really good number 2 is a bad thing. Yes we all wanted a stud #1 but at the end of the day having a good number 2 who can step up and be a number 1 isn't bad.

Also lets see what he can do under Torch for a bit.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
3 points in 3 games under Torchetti. I think we all need to just sit back and observe every one of our players under a new coach. Can't wait to see Brodin when he gets back.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
How has Granlund's development/transition to the NA been? In my books, I still have him pegged with the potential to be an above average 2C.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
How has Granlund's development/transition to the NA been? In my books, I still have him pegged with the potential to be an above average 2C.

I don't know, but I'm interested in your avatar... Who?

Edit: He's been average to above average.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
For the first time I am wondering if Granlund might be better at winger, assuming we brought in another center like RNH for Brodin.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Raw list of statitical Granlund upgrades this year:

Larkin
Spooner
Rakell
Couturier
Duchene
JT Miller
Marcus Johansson
Hayes
Nelson
Stepan
Barkov
Monahan

Goal scoring only:
Fabbri

Highly unavailable super upgrades:
Larkin, Kuznetsov, McDavid, Draisaitl.

List of players that are NOT upgrades:
RNH
Wennberg
Jenner
Zib
Galchenyuk

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Granlund is looking better/different all the time

If he went stale i would be worried. His play so far is not worry some.

I would like to see some results. Effort and the almosts are there.

Granlund would only be good on the wing if we had a goal scoring C on the team.

jackouu

Nov 25, 2015
Helsinki
Seems like Granny has spent much more time closer to the goal under Torchetti, which has lead to goals and increasing productivity. Seemed like that under Yeo he was always prioritizing on defense, and therefore he was not as productive as he has been lately. Maybe the coach change allows him to play a bit more freely and helps him gain his confidence back - i sure do hope so!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He is playing more aggressively, which is good. Haula, too. Unfortunately, Koivu is disappearing. I can barely recall the last time he had a decent shot on net...not that goofy, part slap, part I don't know what, shot of his with the bottom hand way up the stick.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'm fine with moving Granlund after this season. I was a big fan of his but he's just not improving. He's too hesitant to shoot and too small. He also loses a lot of puck battles and is missing the killer instinct. I think we should find someone better.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
I'm fine with moving Granlund after this season. I was a big fan of his but he's just not improving. He's too hesitant to shoot and too small. He also loses a lot of puck battles and is missing the killer instinct. I think we should find someone better.

Granlund is tied with Vanek for 5th on the team in shots this season. Parise, Pominville, Dumba, Suter only guys who have shot the puck on the team more than Granlund this year.

I disagree with the puck battles thing completely. He's easy our best player carrying the puck entering the zone and our best forward keeping possession on the PP as well as zone entries on the PP.

Granlund and Pominville are shooting well below the 9% average despite shooting league average or higher for most of their careers. Granlund's point totals are as much reliant on his teammates playing well and finishing as much as him. Granlund is a playmaker not a scorer...he's looking to draw defenders to him and give his linemates good looks. When your linemates are struggling to finish and in and out of the lineup...that's not going to click as well.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
One idea is try Granlund at wing for a stretch to let him simplify his game and focus on offense--maybe until Zucker gets back.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Granlund
Vanek-Carter-Pominville
Porter-Stoll-Fontaine

Let Granlund ride with Nino and Haula flying all over the ice. Just crazy enough it might work!

WildRube09

Mar 5, 2013
One idea is try Granlund at wing for a stretch to let him simplify his game and focus on offense--maybe until Zucker gets back.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Nino-Haula-Granlund
Vanek-Carter-Pominville
Porter-Stoll-Fontaine

Let Granlund ride with Nino and Haula flying all over the ice. Just crazy enough it might work!

You'd seriously entertain the thought of breaking up 56/29/22 after scoring 14G (31 Pts) in 9 games??:amazed:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yep, definitely one of the players who's had a "renaissance" under Torchetti. Still don't think we can ever expect him to be the #1 he was projected as, but he's definitely playing with a hell of a lot more confidence now than he was 3 months ago, and it shows on the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->