Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Barkov's never been that big in the tabloids which is how you measure popularity in Finland. No one touches Laine these days. Not even close. Sure Kimi does but he's been F1-driving rockstar not giving a **** for 17 years. Who did play hockey back in his junior days by the way.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Barkov's never been that big in the tabloids which is how you measure popularity in Finland. No one touches Laine these days. Not even close. Sure Kimi does but he's been F1-driving rockstar not giving a **** for 17 years. Who did play hockey back in his junior days by the way.

Yeah, he's kind of flown under the radar with the yellow press. He sort of started gaining more attention once he became "Laine's best friend". :laugh:

I'd say he's still pretty widely on display in sports discussions though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Barkov is the best Finn atm but he was never big in NT so nobody cares about him in Finland

I'm not sure if Barkov even is the best Finnish player at the moment. And even if he after all is, the gap is very small to the next best players (Granlund, Laine and Aho). And Laine and Aho will for sure both surpass him as a player. They have that much more skills and character in a great combination that Barkov loses to with his lack of character.

Otherwise I do agree, Barkov is not cared too much for in Finland because he has not been great for the national team. And why should Finnish people care about a player who can't get the best out of him in the national team? I at least respect the most those Finnish players who are great both, in the national team, and in the NHL.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure if Barkov even is the best Finnish player at the moment. And even if he after all is, the gap is very small to the next best players (Granlund, Laine and Aho). And Laine and Aho will for sure both surpass him as a player. They have that much more skills and character in a great combination that Barkov loses to with his lack of character.

Otherwise I do agree, Barkov is not cared too much for in Finland because he has not been great for the national team. And why should Finnish people care about a player who can't get the best out of him in the national team? I at least respect the most those Finnish players who are great both, in the national team, and in the NHL.

Wow, harsh words. All I've ever heard about the kid is that he's got a lot of character and is a responsible player. If I had to pick a Finn that isn't currently on the Wild to play for us, I'd strongly consider Barkov though would probably go with Laine in the end, just because of his scoring upside combined with Barkov's lack of health. That said, Barkov would be my #2 choice, and as of today it's not close between he and Aho for me.

I don't mean to insult you here, that is not my intention, but it sounds to me like you've got some sour grapes from his performance for the National team, in spite of what he's shown at the NHL level. Am I off base, here?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Wow, harsh words. All I've ever heard about the kid is that he's got a lot of character and is a responsible player. If I had to pick a Finn that isn't currently on the Wild to play for us, I'd strongly consider Barkov though would probably go with Laine in the end, just because of his scoring upside combined with Barkov's lack of health. That said, Barkov would be my #2 choice, and as of today it's not close between he and Aho for me.

I don't mean to insult you here, that is not my intention, but it sounds to me like you've got some sour grapes from his performance for the National team, in spite of what he's shown at the NHL level. Am I off base, here?

I wouldn't say it is just that. Although to me it is always important that a player does show up well for his national team. For example this is one reason that makes me think of Eichel much less as a player than many seem to think. He has been mostly a shadow of himself playing for team USA.

And the reason why I especially don't value these type of players very highly is because they tend to also be pretty bad as playoffs players. This is what Barkov showed also in his first playoffs series for Florida. He was really seriously outplayed by Tavares. Sure Tavares is a magnificent player and also much more experienced than Barkov, but still Barkov's class fell so badly from his regular season, that it again showed me the thing that I have seen about Barkov everywhere - the bigger the game, the worse Barkov is. Unfortunately so, as I would love all Finnish players to do well, and I hope the same for him.

Ok, it is still wrong to say he hasn't any character, but he is still far away from what Laine and Aho have. Also Granlund is a Finnish player that has shown much more heart and character than Barkov. I hope this could change with Barkov, but I have to say that I'm quite doubtful, as the dude has been like this since junior hockey. Otherwise he is sure talented, but he does not have the top notch heart and character that the most special players have. In my opinion Laine and Aho have it both.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think I see what you're saying now. You're not necessarily meaning that he doesn't have character, just that he isn't a "big game" player for whatever reason. He doesn't have that clutch instinct when the games get bigger. That may be fair, I haven't watched enough of him to know for sure. I find that guys that go all out in the regular season seem to have that problem. They look great when guys aren't going all out like they are, but then can't elevate their games when guys do start to play at 100% speed. No idea if that's his problem or not, though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think I see what you're saying now. You're not necessarily meaning that he doesn't have character, just that he isn't a "big game" player for whatever reason. He doesn't have that clutch instinct when the games get bigger. That may be fair, I haven't watched enough of him to know for sure. I find that guys that go all out in the regular season seem to have that problem. They look great when guys aren't going all out like they are, but then can't elevate their games when guys do start to play at 100% speed. No idea if that's his problem or not, though.

Yes, I think you summed it up pretty well. This is maybe after all more of what I really meant.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
How much is Baby Jesus requesting $:s for next contract? And how about Fletcher's offer?

The numbers haven't been leaked, so it's hard to know, and it really depends on the term. I think it might make sense for both sides to go on a shorter-term prove-it type of deal at this point.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
The numbers haven't been leaked, so it's hard to know, and it really depends on the term. I think it might make sense for both sides to go on a shorter-term prove-it type of deal at this point.

He just came off from prove it deal. Think he wants term this time.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If Granlund is smart he'd go 1 year deal and try to replicate this past season. If he does he gets the long term big money contract ($6m+). The Wild should be looking at 5-7 years in the $5-5.5m range IMO. I think that is fair.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Arbitration numbers don't mean much. Players ask for the moon, and the club asks for dirt. Term is either 1 or 2 years with regards for arbitration.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

So, Aho will "for sure" surpass Barkov? :help:

Laine could, but to say Aho will for sure surpass him is a tad much. As of now, Barkov is among top20 centers in the league and top5-10 selke-candidates. If you have Aho being "for sure" better than that he will be one helluva player. I´d like to see Barkov playing with 2 good wingers and see what happens...

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

Sorry dude but to me that's about the same as starting your post with 'I don't know what this game they call hockey is all about. Like at all, but...'. And it just continues all the way straight to the inner city Bollocksville after that. Jebus.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Sorry dude but to me that's about the same as starting your post with 'I don't know what this game they call hockey is all about. Like at all, but...'. And it just continues all the way straight to the inner city Bollocksville after that. Jebus.

Is that really that controversial?

I think Koivu, Granlund, and Laine could all be argued to be better or more important for the needs of some team. I think Barkov is the best Finn, but he needs more healthy seasons under his belt to be undisputed in anything.

Ps. Granlund and Laine had more points than Barkov this season, so umm... yeah.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I would drive Granlund to Florida myself with two additional 1st round picks if Barkov would be coming to Minnesota.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I would trade Koivu for Barkov straight up today. I would not have traded Prime Koivu for Barkov, though.

I don't think Barkov is the best Finnish player, but I think he's close. I rank Granlund and maybe Laine above him. Granlund is a big game player (at least when he plays center... small sample size at wing) with lots of offensive skill and very solid defense, thanks to his willingness to get in a lane. Laine looks to me like the kind of scoring winger who could have a Hall of Fame career. Not will, but could. He's not there yet, and nothing is carved in stone, but if he progresses the way it looks like he will... I see his name next to Selanne in the history books. Of course, to reach that level he'll also need to keep that scoring touch for like 15 years. A lot easier said than done.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I would trade Koivu for Barkov straight up today. I would not have traded Prime Koivu for Barkov, though.

I don't think Barkov is the best Finnish player, but I think he's close. I rank Granlund and maybe Laine above him. Granlund is a big game player (at least when he plays center... small sample size at wing) with lots of offensive skill and very solid defense, thanks to his willingness to get in a lane. Laine looks to me like the kind of scoring winger who could have a Hall of Fame career. Not will, but could. He's not there yet, and nothing is carved in stone, but if he progresses the way it looks like he will... I see his name next to Selanne in the history books. Of course, to reach that level he'll also need to keep that scoring touch for like 15 years. A lot easier said than done.

It's so hard to predict with pure shooters like Laine. He took quite a few shots, had a well-above-average shooting percentage, etc.

How many actual pure shooters are in the NHL these days, though? Ovi, maybe Taresenko, but even he has more to his game.... That really feels like it's it. The days of the pure sniper are really gone for the most part. Can Laine be more? 100% yes, I don't think there's any doubt about it. But he could also fall back to earth.

Obviously Laine has a lot of time to round out his game, and will be given every chance to do so. But if he doesn't, I think he's going to be a 25-30 goal guy, who averages around 50 points for most of his career. 20 of those ~25 goals are going to look amazing though. The guy is impressive as hell to watch, no doubt about it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Laine is a darn good playmaker too. Anywhere less than 35 goals per seasonon average would be a big disappointment.

I think you are going too far there. Anything less than 25, yeah, but he's still extremely young.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I would drive Granlund to Florida myself with two additional 1st round picks if Barkov would be coming to Minnesota.

Lol! I seriously hope you're kidding but I get the feeling you're not... :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca