Player Discussion Mikael Granlund IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I would drive Granlund to Florida myself with two additional 1st round picks if Barkov would be coming to Minnesota.
Preach it brother.
Is that really that controversial?

I think Koivu, Granlund, and Laine could all be argued to be better or more important for the needs of some team. I think Barkov is the best Finn, but he needs more healthy seasons under his belt to be undisputed in anything.

Ps. Granlund and Laine had more points than Barkov this season, so umm... yeah.
Barkov is a fringe elite player. 0.87 Points Per Game rate the past two seasons versus Granlunds 0.75. Oh, did I mention he plays Center - something Granlund failed to be successful at?
Lol! I seriously hope you're kidding but I get the feeling you're not... :help:
Barkov > Granlund. Not really that close. On top of Barkov being a more skilled player at a tougher position, he's also got 5 inches and 30lbs on Granlund. Not to mention is 4 years younger.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Depends on what you call skill. Barkov is not more skilled than Granlund when it comes to puckhandling or passing. Granlund is damn good at those things. Barkov is bigger, and has ( arguably) a better athletic package. He is definitely worth more at this point, but both Granlund and Barkov are hard to value after last season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Nobody heard of a sophomore slump?

I'm convinced at least one of Laine or Matthews will have one, and probably both will. That said, most players bounce back after that slump. This isn't about a year, it's about a career.

Barkov is a fringe elite player. 0.87 Points Per Game rate the past two seasons versus Granlunds 0.75. Oh, did I mention he plays Center - something Granlund failed to be successful at?

Barkov > Granlund. Not really that close. On top of Barkov being a more skilled player at a tougher position, he's also got 5 inches and 30lbs on Granlund. Not to mention is 4 years younger.

All true, but I'd take the guy I know will play pretty close to every game for me (and can in a pinch play the center position, just not as well as wing), rather than the one that's injured. His first couple years Granlund had some injury concerns, but he seems to have put those behind him, and has been very durable the last couple of seasons. I think that's largely due to his off-season training, beefing up and getting more balanced on his skates. Still, Barkov would like amazing in green. I guess I'm saying I wouldn't do the trade (especially not with any additional firsts thrown in) but I wouldn't absolutely be against a Granlund-Barkov swap (with some equalizer thrown in from our side).

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Eh, Barkov >> Granlund, would need to be pretty hefty plus from our side ro make them even consider it. Big twoway selke level center with offense. To the talks of best Finnish NHLer you should add Rask IMO.

http://www.startribune.com/wild-hop...reiter-granlund-before-arbitration/436776343/
It’s believed Niederreiter and Granlund are seeking long-term contracts north of $6 million annually. Recent arbitration settlements for arguably comparable players include the Rangers’ Mika Zibanejad and Tampa Bay’s Ondrej Palat (five years, $5.3 million annually), Tatar (four years, $5.3 million annually), Arvidsson (seven years, $4.25 million annually) and Montreal’s Alex Galchenyuk (three years, $4.9 million annually).

So, long term around 5,5m hopefuly? :help:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I would trade Koivu for Barkov straight up today. I would not have traded Prime Koivu for Barkov, though.

I don't think Barkov is the best Finnish player, but I think he's close. I rank Granlund and maybe Laine above him. Granlund is a big game player (at least when he plays center... small sample size at wing) with lots of offensive skill and very solid defense, thanks to his willingness to get in a lane. Laine looks to me like the kind of scoring winger who could have a Hall of Fame career. Not will, but could. He's not there yet, and nothing is carved in stone, but if he progresses the way it looks like he will... I see his name next to Selanne in the history books. Of course, to reach that level he'll also need to keep that scoring touch for like 15 years. A lot easier said than done.

Barkov is one of the best 2way C's in the NHL, he's the best Finn today but Laine could overtake him soon/next year.

Barkov has produced like a #1C and to me is the best young defensive forward in the game. As much as I like Laine he didn't have that impact on his rookie season. Barkov is the driver on Floridas team.
52 points in 61 games while playing with back injury& mix of Griffith(waived 3x), Jokinen(bought out), Jagr(no contract), Marchessault on his W's.

http://www.iltalehti.fi/nhl/201707272200289476_nh.shtml

Both asking for 6M+, which isn't that big of a surprise considering where the cotnracts are going.

Last edited:

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
Johansen is a big 1C. Well worth his contract. Wish we had pushed for him harder.

I agree. Torterella hating him meant nothing in my book. In fact, Johansen's response to the hate actually made him look better IMO. As a young kid, he didn't freak out and start making excuses and copping a bad attitude, whining to the press about how unfair it was....

Obviously Brodin wasn't enough. At the time, I said throw Granlund into the mix, too.

SaltyCaptain

Sep 4, 2014
Did some armchair GM on CapFriendly:

Full 23 man roster with Kunin up, three 700k guys in press box, Foligno signed 2.25 mil leaves only 5.9 mil for Granny

Kunin in the AHL and no 14th forward leaves 6,85 mil for Granlund.

So it's going to be a lot of trips to Iowa for some guys. I think we'll be running a man short anyway to have some flexibility further in the season.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Hoping for a 5.5x5 deal for Granlund.

Realistically I think he's getting 6M AAV.

Any other predictions?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Weren't you one of those who wanted to trade BOTH Granlund and Dumba for RNH?

Johansen is a FAR better center.

Arguably Brodin's biggest fan on these boards. Put two and two together with Brodin being the one discussed in trade. One is entitled to their opinion but a big, 60+pt, 50%+ center is one of the best pieces to have on your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->