Injury Report: Mikael Granlund (4/15: likely to play Game One)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Funny how for YEARS everyone complained about Butch shying away from contact. And now people complain about Granlund not shying away from contact.

If he's going to be effective, Granlund needs to be able to give and receive contact. We're either going to get a really good player who's prone to concussions or Bouchard 2.0. Who, FYI, is in the minors right now.

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Funny how for YEARS everyone complained about Butch shying away from contact. And now people complain about Granlund not shying away from contact.

If he's going to be effective, Granlund needs to be able to give and receive contact. We're either going to get a really good player who's prone to concussions or Bouchard 2.0. Who, FYI, is in the minors right now.

Tend to agree here. He has been successful because he isn't scared to initiate some contact and get into the dirty areas. Something Bouchard would never do. I just hope he learns how to do it without getting his head hammered on. We can't afford to lose him.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm not going to blame Yeo for this, but now that it's turning into a pattern, someone on the development staff damn well better be talking to him about picking his hits more wisely and keeping his head up.

ETA:

I don't think it's about contact/no contact...it's about learning how to hit without putting your head at risk. IIRC his two incidents in the NHL now have both been self-inflicted.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's nothing anybody, except for Granlund himself, can do. It's a collision sport; you're going to get hit. The only reason Granlund got hurt was because he wasn't properly braced for it, like he has been during the countless other times this year that he's been hit (minus Kadri).

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
this has to be the first time ever people are saying that a Euro player needs to be less aggressive.......

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
By Russo:

The Wild will be without Granlund and Darcy Kuemper tonight. Both returned to Minnesota to see team doctors. I asked Yeo and GM Chuck Fletcher about whether the undersized Granlund must adjust his physical game if he wants to have a long career in the NHL. Yeo admitted the team has had internal discussions about this, and I’ll have more on that in tomorrow’s paper.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
By Russo:

Awful awful awful idea to be honest. The reason Granlund has been so good this season is his willingness to go to the dirty areas. If you try to change that he won't be even half the player he is. You gotta hope he can learn to take contact the right way....teach him how to do that...hockey is a physical game...if Granlund can't learn to handle it and keep getting head injuries then so be it, but if he's going to be susceptible to head injuries they are going to happen either way...don't tell him to change his game. His head injuries haven't even come from him trying to be physical or anything...it's just been him with a puck in his feet and not bracing for the hit and not being smart/aware about that.

ughhh. This is the last thing I wanted to hear and the thing I feared most. I'm really really scared right now.

OpRedDawn*

Awful awful awful idea to be honest. The reason Granlund has been so good this season is his willingness to go to the dirty areas. If you try to change that he won't be even half the player he is. You gotta hope he can learn to take contact the right way....teach him how to do that...hockey is a physical game...if Granlund can't learn to handle it and keep getting head injuries then so be it, but if he's going to be susceptible to head injuries they are going to happen either way...don't tell him to change his game. His head injuries haven't even come from him trying to be physical or anything...it's just been him with a puck in his feet and not bracing for the hit and not being smart/aware about that.

ughhh. This is the last thing I wanted to hear and the thing I feared most. I'm really really scared right now.

He needs to adjust. He shouldn't be throwing hits. He can still battle, but he shouldn't be trying to hit people. His last two concussions were him trying to hit guys

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
His hits are him battling along the boards for pucks... getting possession either in the D-zone or the offensive zone. He's good at possession because he fights to take the puck away.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Have to agree. Little weight around the neck makes a big difference.

It doesn't even require that much - some extracurricular training when you go home after the regular regime. It doesn't help with blatant cheap shots à la Murray the other day but don't go and change the way Granlund plays.

I still remember how he nailed Ovechkin. That was some pretty good stuff :)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
he can be aggressive without trying to throw hits, if thats how he got hurt. he can still be aggressive with his speed and battle

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
he can be aggressive without trying to throw hits, if thats how he got hurt. he can still be aggressive with his speed and battle

Of course. You could instruct him not to forecheck and not to go into tight spots and send someone else. He's is ,after all, a pretty feeble guy.

Forechecking just happens to be Granlunds bread and butter. He's very good at dishing the puck if he can steal it unexpectedly.

A very difficult question but I'd still say let him play the way he does.

Decisions, decisions ...

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland

Exactly this. It is what it is. He plays just like he has to, fearlessly and effectively. Or he doesn't play at all. I'm really hoping that everything will be ok.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Exactly this. It is what it is. He plays just like he has to, fearlessly and effectively. Or he doesn't play at all. I'm really hoping that everything will be ok.

I'm afraid that at this rate the 'not at all' scenario will come sooner rather than later. Whether this time is a concussion or a whiplash injury isn't even the key question because he's already suffered from both before and your so-called upper body can only take a limited number of hits. That's an area you really don't want to hurt on a regular basis because your off ice life can start getting affected too. None of us can know what that critical number number is in Granlund's case but unfortunately it could be up soon.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Did Granlund have any known concussions prior to the draft? If so, I don't see why GMCF picked him after going through the PMB situation.

We could've taken Tarensenko or Shwartz and hired Hitchcock :help:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Did Granlund have any known concussions prior to the draft? If so, I don't see why GMCF picked him after going through the PMB situation.

We could've taken Tarensenko or Shwartz and hired Hitchcock :help:

Doubt our scouting staff would have drafted Tarasenko... He's sustained at least one major concussion during his time in the NHL, too.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I heard he still doesn't use mouthguard? Those help to prevent concussions...

Is that even legal to not use a mouthguard in professional hockey? Pretty sure he wears one; I've seen him chewing on it incessantly during games.

granlund.jpg

Mikael+Granlund+Minnesota+Wild+vs+Philadelphia+A9PgjU2pYo8l.jpg

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I heard he still doesn't use mouthguard? Those help to prevent concussions...

Hockey myth, according to USAH and their head doctor, a neurologist at the Mayo( Michael Stuart?). There are no studies backing this up. They do prevent chipped teeth and bitten tongues, however.

Granlund needs to play with common sense. He is not a big guy, and his value to the team is as a premier playmaker, not a grinder. That's Cooke's job. He will shorten his career drastically if he looks for contact. If Yeo is telling him he has to be more physical he should be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad