Injury Report: Mikael Granlund (4/15: likely to play Game One)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I never expected him to miss game one...I expect he will be a full go. ;)

They were taking extra precaution with him since they had breathing room in the Standings, then once they clinched everything, no reason to try to get him in another regular season game.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund has been working out all week and began skating Friday. Yeo and GM Chuck Fletcher talked last week about how Granlund, who has a history of concussions, may need to adjust the way he plays the game.

The last two times he got hurt, it was Granlund who initiated the check.

“Obviously you want to try to be smart on the ice,” Granlund said. “Things happen. … You just have to be ready for everything and be smart on the ice. I still want to keep my compete. That’s why I think I’m here and that’s what I’m going to keep doing.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/255046991.html#HVcTFh33t43Ob1lG.01

OpRedDawn*

He can be aggressive, but he shouldn't be trying to hit people. There's just no need for it

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
He can be aggressive, but he shouldn't be trying to hit people. There's just no need for it

It's not even all about whether he hits people or not, it's about not leading with his head when he goes into a puck battle.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Lines in practice:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 22 min

#mnwild lines:Parise-Koivu-Coyle;Moulson-Granlund-Pominville;Cooke-Brodziak-Niederreiter; Veilleux-Haula-McCormick; Fontaine, Heatley extras

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let's play Haula with a couple of guys who can't score. Great idea! After all, what has he done for us lately?

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
I think we should just wait and see how those lines looks like. If we are winning and Haula is in the fourth line does it matter who score those goals?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Let's play Haula with a couple of guys who can't score. Great idea! After all, what has he done for us lately?

He's not going to play over Granlund, and they want Brodziak/Cooke together, as they have shown the ability to be a shutdown line (Crosby, Seguin/Benn), and they are likely going to be matched up against Landeskog/Stastny/MacKinnon whenever we possibly can.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Ok, so Granlund had real good practice and felt "real good". What's with "real good"? I always thought it's "really good" in English language. Help me here oh native speakers. Would be real good to figure this out.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Ok, so Granlund had real good practice and felt "real good". What's with "real good"? I always thought it's "really good" in English language. Help me here oh native speakers. Would be real good to figure this out.

Technically it's "really good", but "real good" is used as well, "real" is sometimes used in place of "really" when modifying an adjective. You'd never say "I real need to get out of here" but you may say "I felt real bad about that test". There's no reason to say "real good" instead of "really good" but some people do.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Technically it's "really good", but "real good" is used as well, "real" is sometimes used in place of "really" when modifying an adjective. You'd never say "I real need to get out of here" but you may say "I felt real bad about that test". There's no reason to say "real good" instead of "really good" but some people do.

Ok, figured as much. Funny how language evolves, 20 years from now it might be standard expression. Though it's probably a US thing, never heard it in UK English, I think.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Grammar lessons! :D

The functional difference between the two words is that "real" is an adjective, where "really" is an adverb. You seem pretty fluent, so forgive me if this comes off as condescending or is too elementary.

"Real good" is wrong because "real" an adjective attempting to augment another adjective. It's similar to saying "The Wild's alternate jerseys are big green" (as opposed to the correct descriptor of "dark green").

"Really" has the same base meaning as "real" (as they're from the same root :P), but is the adverb form which makes it appropriate for modifying the descriptor on Granlund's well being.

This particular example, as TGF explained above, is pretty common in certain regions in the US (particularly the south). Unfortunately, though, it's far from grammatically correct. The speaker means to use "really," but they're close enough that most people can figure out their intent and no one bothers to correct it.

Last edited:

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site

McCormick and Veilleux have both put up some points lately. You get some speed and bonus offense with that line. The only thing better would be if Zucker slotted in there if healthy.

Believe me, having good players on the 4th line is a GOOD thing.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Grammar lessons! :D

The functional difference between the two words is that "real" is an adjective, where "really" is an adverb. You seem pretty fluent, so forgive me if this comes off as condescending or is too elementary.

"Real good" is wrong because "real" an adjective attempting to augment another adjective. It's similar to saying "The Wild's alternate jerseys are big green" (as opposed to the correct descriptor of "dark green").

"Really" has the same base meaning as "real" (as they're from the same root :P), but is the adverb form which makes it appropriate for modifying the descriptor on Granlund's well being.

This particular example, as TGF explained above, is pretty common in certain regions in the US (particularly the south). Unfortunately, though, it's far from grammatically correct. The speaker means to use "really," but they're close enough that most people can figure out their intent and no one bothers to correct it.

Thanks for the clarification :nod: I'm aware of the adjective vs. adverb distinction and that's exactly why it sounds weird to me. It's just that now I saw Russo use it too, not just in a quote, so I guess it's becoming more and more legitimate to use.

Sorry for derailing the thread. So, Granlund? I'm actually hopeful for him in this series: Colorado's attention will be on our first line and that leaves space for the second line to do damage. Avs D is nothing special and they don't play a very physical style so I think Granlund has a real chance to thrive against them.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Thanks for the clarification :nod: I'm aware of the adjective vs. adverb distinction and that's exactly why it sounds weird to me. It's just that now I saw Russo use it too, not just in a quote, so I guess it's becoming more and more legitimate to use.

Sorry for derailing the thread. So, Granlund? I'm actually hopeful for him in this series: Colorado's attention will be on our first line and that leaves space for the second line to do damage. Avs D is nothing special and they don't play a very physical style so I think Granlund has a real chance to thrive against them.
Not derailing the thread at all. Interesting detour.

Keep in mind that a lot of younger Americans, myself included, take a causal or abbreviated approach to the english language. Probably a lot to do with the being raised entirely in the electronic/computer age.

Edit - But I guess I am no longer a "younger" American. Wow, time flies.

Doobz89

Apr 12, 2011
You clearly don't know how NHL lines work, where would Haula be put? There not gonna put him over Granlund and why would they break up that checking line which looks really solid imo.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
You clearly don't know how NHL lines work, where would Haula be put? There not gonna put him over Granlund and why would they break up that checking line which looks really solid imo.

With haula there goals can come from the fourth line.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I have to admit i'm gonna be little scared in game 1 every time Granlund takes a shift, He's gonna be hyped up and he propably tries to hit everything that moves. My only hope in game 1 is he don't get hurt again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad