Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
If nothing else, it tells us the direction management is going, and this gives me hope.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really loved Brassard. Gamer. Gonna miss him.

But the move makes sense. They get younger, get a high pick. Frees up some cap. Its going to reshape the lineup a bit. Zibanejad can play.

While this is a tough one right now, well see the fruits of this trade in a year or two.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Mostly I am encouraged by the asset management shown here. Exactly what I wanted to see this offseason.

Younger replacement asset and a pretty good pick for a player who, while great, it as peak value.

Alright. I have gotten past my initial overreaction. I had just got back from the gym and sat at my desk, refreshed HF and this is what pops up so I was probably still in rage mode.

Yes. Long term this is a fantastic deal for us. Sucks seeing such a fan favorite moved out but I have to give it to Gorton. We gained cap room, got younger and got a 2nd round pick to help replenish the thin prospect pool. It is a good trade for us but sucks it had to be Brass.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Like this deal. Ultimately replace Brassard's production while getting younger and cheaper. Plus Zibenijad still could potentially grow whereas Brassard has most likely Plateaued. That being said tough to see Brassard go as he has been a warrior for the team, especially in the playoffs.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Putting aside how much I like Brassard as a player, ZBad is a he'll of a talent and put up similar numbers to Brassard this past season and is 5 years younger (room to grow). He put up 46 last season.

He has 1 year left at $2.6 million then is an RFA.

Gorton said this was the direction he was going to go in and he pulled it off. Adding the pick is nice too.

Anyone have his fancy stat comparison to Brassard?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Clearly the Rangers plan is to now flip Zibby for Shattenkirk

If nothing else, it tells us the direction management is going, and this gives me hope.

Bingo, this is huge for me as well. This trade helps in the long term, so that's what they're building for.

Psuedo Omega

Nov 1, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Hard to see Brassard go, but this is a great move for the Rangers. I watched Zibby play in Binghamton, he's got great hands, shot and hockey IQ. He's a good skater, but he won't blow you away with speed. Won't shy away from playing physical as well. Can win you some key face offs. Should fit in well with AVs system, but time will tell. With his age and his cap hit, you have to go for it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The problem is we keep trading guys that were part of the heart and sole of this team. This team did not excell because they had the best talent. They excelled because they bonded so well. With Boyle, Stralman, Hagelin and now Brass gone I hope we still have the same connections.

have to make moves sometime though when you know the team isn't good enough

Can't keep everyone together indefinitely

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It sucks to lose Brassard, but this is a really good trade for us. Zibs in no shlep, he's 6'2, 225 pounds, has some good wheels, SICK hands, and a great wrister. He's coming into his own as a young C, and he's got some really good upside. Former 6th overall in 2011. He's only 23 years old.

There's too much to say about Brassard. It was amazing watching him grow ever since the Gabby trade, and he's been one of my favorite Rangers these past few years. Gonna really miss the Brass-Zuc romance, but I'm really excited to move forward with youth and skill in the organization.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Putting aside how much I like Brassard as a player, ZBad is a he'll of a talent and put up similar numbers to Brassard this past season and is 5 years younger (room to grow). He put up 46 last season.

He has 1 year left at $2.6 million then is an RFA.

Gorton said this was the direction he was going to go in and he pulled it off. Adding the pick is nice too.

Anyone have his fancy stat comparison to Brassard?
past two years

5 on 5 p/60

Zib: 1.75
Brass: 1.89

PP p/60

Zib: 3.06
Brass: 4.95

relCF%

Zib: +0.6
Brass: +1.4%

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

DieByTheShield

Fire AV
Sep 15, 2014
San Diego CA
Fire Gorton.

I'm dead serious.

Dude I love Brass but this is the first good move Gorton has made. Mika is 6 years younger, will replace Brass's production in a few years, and is paid 2M for the next two years which buys us time to sort out the bad contracts.

I love this trade, but I also hate that they had to ship out Brassard.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I mean that's kind of how Brassard is too. It's how most guys in that point total range go. Look really great for a stretch, then go invisible for a stretch.

How's Zibs' shot? One thing I'll miss about Brassard is he was the one guy on the Rangers who could score with an unscreened slapshot. He could walk into the circles and blow it past a goalie

He is definitely a shoot-first guy. Heavy wrister. He has a good one-timer but he isn't very good at getting it off.

Uglybstrd

Apr 10, 2012
Great trade for NYR!

We got younger and got a RH shot.

2,65 mill caphit, but he will be a RFA next summer.
Will probably get around 4-4,5 mill? (Of course depends on this years production and lenght of the new contract.)

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Building off my first post, I'm mostly pleased with this deal. Brass is tough to see go, but as long as this trade is part of an organizational trend towards getting younger talent and early round picks back for the age ~27+ players on the roster it has to be viewed positively. I just hope there is more to come now.

Also encouraging to see how quiet Gorton kept these talks if they were ongoing this whole time.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
man this sucks so bad for Zuke

he signs for a huge team discount, he turns into a leading points maker, then they trade hags and brass his two closest buddies

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The issue here is that while were saving money this year, what about after this season when he becomes a RFA? How much more are we gonna be spending on him than Brass? Because I really am not sure we can get him for even close to that same $5 million AAV that Brass got if he posts similar numbers this year. So that would end up defeating the whole purpose of the cap saving for this year. Unless it's a quasai rental that we just trade him to someone else after this season while going for a big move or something next year .

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Brassard was awesome, but how the HELL can you really hate on this deal?

We got 5 years younger, cheaper on the cap (though he'll get a new one next year), and we got a 2nd rounder.

Zib = 51 points
Brass = 58 points

Both had the same amount of goals, while Zib played on a worse team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad