Confirmed with Link: Mika Zibanejad & a 2018 2nd rd pick OTT for Derick Brassard & a 2018 7th rd pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
An unknown here - we know Brass thrived in the limelight of NY and in the playoffs. We don't know that yet for Zib. Hope he kicks ass here.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Wait.

WHAT

Immediate reaction is not overly positive but I'm at least happy that Brass was the C shipped out, solely due to age/window concerns.

Yeah, first instinct was "****ing a, not brass!"... but then looking at Zibby's stats and how young he is, this is a VERY good move

I proposed this trade 3-4 months ago.

I'm not sure what is worse--that you called this 3 months ago, or that Bernmeister was clammoring for Zibby about 1.5 years ago :cry:

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Interesting move. Torn on it.

We get younger and Zibby is good, with potential yet. We also shed some cap.

But, Brassard is clearly superior and his contract was a very good deal for his play.

I guess a 2nd and Zibby's potential to improve balances things, but this clearly isn't a win now move, so I expect more to come. Otherwise I don't understand it. You don't make this move but then not move guys like Zucc and Klein while they have value. This is a move for the future.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Mostly I am encouraged by the asset management shown here. Exactly what I wanted to see this offseason.

Younger replacement asset and a pretty good pick for a player who, while great, it as peak value.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Wow this trade hurt my heart.

Zibanejad is okay but I thought we could've gotten more and he really wasn't good until this year.

Brass is significantly older and despite the very solid contract, he's not in his prime anymore, or at the very least he's leaving his prime where Mika is just entering his.

This could be a cost saving move for something bigger, not sure. But we also get another 2nd round pick, which should really help.

I'm not saying this is a bad trade, but ignoring how much we the fans love Brass, from a black and white pure numbers perspective, I really don't think this is all that bad.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Interesting move. Torn on it.

We get younger and Zibby is good, with potential yet. We also shed some cap.

But, Brassard is clearly superior and his contract was a very good deal for his play.

I guess a 2nd and Zibby's potential to improve balances things, but this clearly isn't a win now move, so I expect more to come. Otherwise I don't understand it. You don't make this move but then not move guys like Zucc and Klein while they have value. This is a move for the future.

They've been saying "trading contracts for 2nd contracts". This is one of those trades.

Rangers are NOT making the playoffs next year. I expect all the other big names--Nash, Staal, Klein, Girardi, (sans Zuccarello, loosely homegrown player) to be moved out by the trade deadline.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sam is gonna have fun with this one lol

One last time:

4177e1eef8bac1698be71654fdb76518e6c652f41f8e9f2f839cb1bde73b38e7.jpg

Reactions: Machinehead

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Great trade for US! Brass God will be missed, but this is a win no matter how you slice it! We get younger, save cap space, AND get a 2nd! :yo:

Thank's for all you did for the Rangers Brassgod!

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Zibby is really inconsistent but gets hot from time to time and looks amazing when that happens. Wonder if he will put it all together - you guys will probably like him though.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't love it or hate it, I would have voted no, but I am not sure if that is just because I like Brassard or because I feel it's risky moving a player that was performing well for a player that may or may not as a Ranger.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
FWIW, while we here are around 50/50 on this, which I think is a lot based on emotion, since we all loved Brass....the sens board is pretty livid.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I like this trade. You figure 1 of the Centers had to go (I thought Stepan may have had more value; maybe not). Young foward with with some upside and an early pick. I think OTT is a borderline team to make the playoffs the next couple years, so that 2nd round pick will likely be in the 35-45 range.

Last edited:

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
I understand this deal at the draft, not so much now.

The Rangers needed the 2nd round pick this year, not in two years (2018 pick).

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Mostly I am encouraged by the asset management shown here. Exactly what I wanted to see this offseason.

Younger replacement asset and a pretty good pick for a player who, while great, it as peak value.

Big Time. Again for age purposes, Brassard was the guy to trade over Stepan.

Seems like Management thinks they won't compete in the playoffs until the 2017-18 season. I'm OK with that. One step backwards to take 3 forward

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
this is a great move... it is gunna sting watching brassard in ottawa tho. hes gunna put up 70 pts on the power play with karlsson

Lundy HOF

May 23, 2016
I am so confused by this. Not the type of trade I wanted for Brass.

Maybe if it was for a 2017 1st rounder; the 2018 2nd means very little to me. Seems like a move made purely on the fact the FO sees big upside in Z...

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
This is honestly going either way for me, the jury is out until I see more of Zibby

But Brassard is a heck of a player, very underrated and clutch as hell, I'll miss him a lot

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Great trade. We trade a 29 year old for a 23 year old at half the cap hit, similar stats, and more talent. And we got a second too.

Why wait until Brassard is old?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Zibby is really inconsistent but gets hot from time to time and looks amazing when that happens. Wonder if he will put it all together - you guys will probably like him though.

I mean that's kind of how Brassard is too. It's how most guys in that point total range go. Look really great for a stretch, then go invisible for a stretch.

How's Zibs' shot? One thing I'll miss about Brassard is he was the one guy on the Rangers who could score with an unscreened slapshot. He could walk into the circles and blow it past a goalie

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The problem is we keep trading guys that were part of the heart and sole of this team. This team did not excell because they had the best talent. They excelled because they bonded so well. With Boyle, Stralman, Hagelin and now Brass gone I hope we still have the same connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad