Mika 'DJ Z-Bad' Zibanejad, Part 3: Electric Boogaloo Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yeah zib produces points. Which I value pretty highly. But he's so lethargic. The optics of it are terrible.

And I feel like this is how it is with zib. He will have a great game. Get 2 assists. And then dissapear the next 2 games. And then people will harp on his game. And his defenders will say "well he has 2 points in 3 games. That's on pace for like 55 points and he's only 22". Zibanejad is always going to get his points. He gets every opportunity to get them. I get he is young, but it's not like he needs to grow or put on weight. 50% of nights he just shows an unwillingness to compete. Unwillingness or he's not capable.

Are his point production and defensive game sound for a 22 year old? Yes. (Although his age is becoming less and less relevant as guys are hitting their prime earlier) but just because he's that now. Does not mean he will simply improve on that year after year after year. He was near .5ppg in his rookie season as well. And then the year after that. And after that. And now. If he doesn't up the physical play and compete. I don't think he will ever improve. And that's what people are scared of. Tired of seeing him take over a shift once a year.

What I got from this is we don't have an overly driven player who is 22, sound defensively and will rack up ~50/55 points.

What are we complaining about/trying to figure out?

Listen, if there was a better C than Zibanejad on the market im all for it. But harping on the guy for being the player he isn't while still being a prominent piece that contributes and doesn't cost us goals makes zero sense.

I bet you all if Turris is producing then no one is complaining about Zib.

Nyquil is right, we need him to step up and it might be unfair that we need him to cause Turris gone and we may be asking more outta zib too soon but thats the reality of the situation. It doesn't mean if zib doesnt answer to the came he's anything less than what he is now and anything less valuable to what he already brings.

So unless we can move him for a better C, there's no point in critiquing his play, cause he does exactly what is required of a 22 year old C, while maybe there are better but he's producing good enough.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
What I got from this is we don't have an overly driven player who is 22, sound defensively and will rack up ~50/55 points.

What are we complaining about/trying to figure out?

Listen, if there was a better C than Zibanejad on the market im all for it. But harping on the guy for being the player he isn't while still being a prominent piece that contributes and doesn't cost us goals makes zero sense.

I bet you all if Turris is producing then no one is complaining about Zib.

Nyquil is right, we need him to step up and it might be unfair that we need him to cause Turris gone and we may be asking more outta zib too soon but thats the reality of the situation. It doesn't mean if zib doesnt answer to the came he's anything less than what he is now and anything less valuable to what he already brings.

So unless we can move him for a better C, there's no point in critiquing his play, cause he does exactly what is required of a 22 year old C, while maybe there are better but he's producing good enough.

100%. People are projecting their dissatisfaction with the team as a whole on the guy, same old same old.

If Zibby was any other team, people would be jumping over each other trying to trade for him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
100%. People are projecting their dissatisfaction with the team as a whole on the guy, same old same old.

If Zibby was any other team, people would be jumping over each other trying to trade for him.

No. No one is blaming our whole season on him.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
So the 1st problem with Zibanejad is he was drafted as a powerforward but he's lacking in the power part of his game. Good offensively. Good defensively. But doesn't play powerful enough. He's not play bad. Just not hitting and being forceful enough.

The 2nd problem is they want better consistency from a 2nd liner... Think about that for a second. :laugh:

This problem wouldn't exist if people weren't looking at him with powerforward binoculars. People are looking for and want problems.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So the 1st problem with Zibanejad is he was drafted as a powerforward but he's lacking in the power part of his game. Good offensively. Good defensively. But doesn't play powerful enough. He's not play bad. Just not hitting and being forceful enough.

The 2nd problem is they want better consistency from a 2nd liner... Thank about that for a second. :laugh:

This problem wouldn't exist if people weren't looking at him with powerforward binoculars. People are looking for and want problems.

Plus, in order for Zib to start playing like a PF we need more accomdating wingers.

We can't have a physically weak sniper on one end and a average skating sniper on the other.

We'd need a speedy talented playmaking winger somewhere.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Plus, in order for Zib to start playing like a PF we need more accomdating wingers.

We can't have a physically weak sniper on one end and a average skating sniper on the other.

We'd need a speedy talented playmaking winger somewhere.
Zibby has never really shown to be a pf

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
Im guessing DJ Zbad is battling the flu right now. Been going around for awhile. At least that could be his excuse for looking so MEH!

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I really didn't think he was that bad yesterday, he was pretty good I found

I agree.

EK is GOD, Turris is playing like s*** but injured, Ryan can't stay on his feet but maybe injured, Boro is gawd awful but the expectations are so low it doesn't matter, so that leaves a 22 year old to be criticized for not being more physical and the cause for all that is wrong with this team.

Makes sense, no???

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

The 2nd problem is they want better consistency from a 2nd liner... Think about that for a second. :laugh:

Maybe they should move Zibanejad to RW & replace Chiasson, it worked for Smith.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The 2nd problem is they want better consistency from a 2nd liner

I think the definition of a 2nd liner is inconsistent player. Not consistent enough to be a 1st line player, too much talent to be a bottom 6.

50 points is a good 2nd liner in today's NHL? How do you get 50 points?
6 games with 2 points = 12.
38 games with 1 point = 38
38 games with 0 points = 0

add it up, that's 50 in 82 games.

and that's 38 games without getting a point. string a few of those together and all of a sudden everyone is harping that a guy is inconsistent. for every 3 or 4 game point streak, there has to be a scoreless streak, otherwise you are moving in to the 60+ point area and consistent 1st liner territory.

ZBad is just fine IMO. He clearly goes on the streaks that I identified. To me, the big problem right now with the team is Turris and not scoring. It makes one of your top lines ineffective. Hard to consistently win hockey games in that scenario.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ryan gets called on his lack of intensity, which is fair 9 games out of 10.

But Zibanejad is literally 10 times worse.

When was the last time someone saw him show some real emotion?

Happy hour at McDonalds?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I think the definition of a 2nd liner is inconsistent player. Not consistent enough to be a 1st line player, too much talent to be a bottom 6.

50 points is a good 2nd liner in today's NHL? How do you get 50 points?
6 games with 2 points = 12.
38 games with 1 point = 38
38 games with 0 points = 0

add it up, that's 50 in 82 games.

and that's 38 games without getting a point. string a few of those together and all of a sudden everyone is harping that a guy is inconsistent. for every 3 or 4 game point streak, there has to be a scoreless streak, otherwise you are moving in to the 60+ point area and consistent 1st liner territory.

ZBad is just fine IMO. He clearly goes on the streaks that I identified. To me, the big problem right now with the team is Turris and not scoring. It makes one of your top lines ineffective. Hard to consistently win hockey games in that scenario.

It's not necessarily the production level that is of concern.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
No, what the concern is Zibanejad isn't playing the game the way some wanna be GM want him to play.

So they ignore the facts and just keep heaping the anecdotal stuff on the pile.

When he was drafted he was advertised as a powerforward who brings skill and toughness. I don't think it's unfair of us or management to say that he should be better in certain areas of his game. He's still a good player with lots of skill and a good 2 way game but the physicality and powerforward aspects of him are lacking. They don't manifest often enough.

You know when he is on his game because he hits and drives the net. When he's not on his game he stays on the perimeter and lacks physicality. He's young and still plenty of potential but he's also in his fourth full season in the league and approaching 300 games. We are not asking the moon when we say we would like him to be more consistent with his effort level (his production is fine).

Some people are a bit too hard on him though. He's not a number 1 center (yet and maybe never) and the play/absence of Turris has put him in a situation that is very difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad