Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
#18 isn't that great

He was #18 last year so he stayed put. Which is good because there are more prospects to contend with this year. Not to mention Habs roster players are also eligible for this ranking like Domi, Drouin, Kotkaniemi, Mete, etc. So taking that into account, him at #18 is a good thing.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Both teams with Habs players in the ECHL are facing each other as it's Adirondack vs. Maine.

For Maine: Culkin, Adams-Moisan & LaCouvee
For Adirondack: Verbeek

McNiven isn't dressed tonight for Adirondack. The Thunder are the ECHL affiliate of New Jersey (NHL) and Binghamton (AHL). Binghamton sent Evan Cormier to the ECHL a few days ago. And so, Adirondack chose to dress the two Devils contracted players. Even though McNiven had back-to-back shutouts and was named Goalie of the Week in the ECHL.

Would it benefit McNiven more if the Habs could mediate a trade of him for Lacouvee?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure, but i think that a player who was signed to an ECHL contract and returns to the ECHL has his rights held by the team he played for the previous season, which applies to Lacouvee. As opposed to a player assigned or loaned there by his AHL team. i found the link

ECHL announces Protected Lists

Yea. I am aware of the protected list. My question is why you're wondering if they could trade McNiven for LaCouvee. Meaning McNiven goes to Maine and LaCouvee to Adirondack. That would mean you're putting LaCouvee in that 3-goalie situation in Adirondack. The idea is both goalies need to play. I'm all for looking for a way to trade McNiven somewhere he can play more. But I wouldn't do it at the expense of LaCouvee.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Yea. I am aware of the protected list. My question is why you're wondering if they could trade McNiven for LaCouvee. Meaning McNiven goes to Maine and LaCouvee to Adirondack. That would mean you're putting LaCouvee in that 3-goalie situation in Adirondack. The idea is both goalies need to play. I'm all for looking for a way to trade McNiven somewhere he can play more. But I wouldn't do it at the expense of LaCouvee.
McNiven is the one the organization should be looking to get playing time for. Lacouvee is a bandaid in case of an emergency and was probably only signed as protection if Lindgren didn't clear waivers, which he did. The guy is an ECHL goalie who really has no future with the organization.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McNiven is the one the organization should be looking to get playing time for. Lacouvee is a bandaid in case of an emergency and was probably only signed as protection if Lindgren didn't clear waivers, which he did. The guy is an ECHL goalie who really has no future with the organization.

It doesn't mean LaCouvee needs to be a 3rd goalie in the ECHL. If they need LaCouvee in Laval, you want him to come up being the 3rd wheel in the ECHL?

I'm all for looking to trade McNiven to a team he can get games in. But it makes no sense to do that to LaCouvee.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Some of these kids must look at how things worked out for Jordan Binnington who played in the ECHL and spent about 5 1/2 years in the minors. Keep progressing and someone will notice eventually and give them a shot.

Reactions: DAChampion

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So apparently is riding the pine in ECHL because it isn't a Habs team, which isn't shocking.

Yup. This is why Montreal needs to get their own ECHL affiliate, which will most likely be Trois-Rivières. This is why at the moment, Habs-affiliated players play on different teams in the ECHL.

Adirondack is an affiliate of New Jersey. They recently sent one of their goalies down there, and they already had one of the other goalies under an AHL contract. So naturally, Adirondack will favor the affiliated goalies over the one that was loaned there by another organization.

Bouchard was asked about it after practice today and he said they are aware of the situation and are actively looking for a solution. My guess, they're looking around the ECHL for a team who would take McNiven to play games.

I don't see a trade coming (as most feel Lindgren will have to go). Because right now, he's been heating up again and they have Primeau. They are a really good tandem right now.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
He's 3-1-0 with 2 shutouts on a team that's 6-4-2. Pretty silly of their management to play worse players.

Their priority is to develop their own prospects. Seems perfectly sensible to me, and this is the risk the team runs by not having an ECHL team.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He's 3-1-0 with 2 shutouts on a team that's 6-4-2. Pretty silly of their management to play worse players.

If Montreal had their own affiliate and, for example, LaCouvee was the goalie. The other goalie was property of another team (because not every NHL team has an ECHL affiliate). The other goalie was playing well.

However, McNiven is sent down there for whatever reason. Wouldn't you rather they play McNiven and LaCouvee (being under contract with Montreal/Laval) over the other goalie? Even though the other goalie put up good numbers?

Naturally, you have an affiliate to develop your players, whether they have NHL potential or we will end up career AHL'ers. You obviously want to win, but you need to ensure your players are developing in your own system, not another team's player out on loan to your affiliate.

New Jersey have no reason to tell their own affiliate in the ECHL to play the Canadiens' goalie prospect over their own or over the guy they chose to sign to an AHL deal in Binghamton.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The Habs really need to figure something out, McNiven needs to be in Laval like now. If you take out his first start of the season, he's let in 8 freaking goals over 6 games, that's just sick. He's a 3rd year pro, he is wasting his time in the ECHL imo. Bite the bullet and call him up, send Lindgren to the ECHL or loan him somewhere.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The Habs really need to figure something out, McNiven needs to be in Laval like now. If you take out his first start of the season, he's let in 8 freaking goals over 6 games, that's just sick. He's a 3rd year pro, he is wasting his time in the ECHL imo. Bite the bullet and call him up, send Lindgren to the ECHL or loan him somewhere.
Yeah he's definetly a good prospect still. Obviously moves need to be made. What would you suggest?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah he's definetly a good prospect still. Obviously moves need to be made. What would you suggest?

Lindgren to the ECHL or see if another AHL team would take him on loan, see if he could play at the Spengler Cup like Fucale did a few years back. Loan him to a Euro club team (though that's tricky since he would need to agree). They could consider for a little at least, send down Reilly and call him up. Let him and Kindaid battle for the backup job and the loser takes over for Price in practices to lessen the work load on Price for a few weeks maybe.

It's a tough situation as Lindgren has been a good bit better then last year where he was dealing with an injury but I'd at least like to see McNiven get a few starts in Laval now to see how he does since he's a 3rd year pro and a RFA this summer.

Reactions: kevsavard95

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think Lindgren to the ECHL is comical, he is easily the first NHL call up and to send him down a level would be an asinine strategy.
I think he is an upgrade over the current back up in Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad