Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McNiven with his 3rd SO in his last 7 games, dude is ****ing crushing it, get him to LAVAL!

Yea. I think he's earning being brought in.

I don't know what their intentions are with the goaltending situation. For one, Lindgren is doing real well lately. Another reason is their priority is surely Primeau, and keeping a vet like Lindgren around may be more beneficial to the kid.

However, the fact that Lindgren is doing well may increase his trade value.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

I don't know what their intentions are with the goaltending situation. For one, Lindgren is doing real well lately. Another reason is their priority is surely Primeau, and keeping a vet like Lindgren around may be more beneficial to the kid.

I really don't think Lindgren has any trade value. Only thing that might give him some is if they brought him up for a couple of starts and he did well in those starts.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really don't think Lindgren has any trade value. Only thing that might give him some is if they brought him up for a couple of starts and he did well in those starts.

What I meant was that his value is higher now than it was a few weeks ago because he's playing good this last little while.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I don't know how connected Marcotte is, but since he seems to think that Lindgren could get called up, I would be all for that as long as they called up McNiven. Kindaid could mentor Primeau/McNiven but those 2 need to get all the starts. I could see Lindgren being better then Kindaid and we need a backup for Price next year so go with Price-Lindgren next year and Primeau-McNiven. They can sign a undrafted FA out of the NCAA to be the ECHL goalie or just keep LaCouvee but there should be several interesting undrafted goalies turning pro especially Jake Evans former teammate.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They really need to get this guy to Laval. In his last 11 starts he's given up more then 2 goals in just 2 games. If you count goalies with more then 4 starts, McNiven leads the ECHL with a jaw dropping .939 save % (combined from his 2 teams). His combined 1.95 gaa would be 3rd best in the league for goalies with more then 4 games, behind a 29 year old and UPL who many felt was the top rated goalie prospect coming into the year but is only in the ECHL due to his injury.

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
They really need to get this guy to Laval. In his last 11 starts he's given up more then 2 goals in just 2 games. If you count goalies with more then 4 starts, McNiven leads the ECHL with a jaw dropping .939 save % (combined from his 2 teams). His combined 1.95 gaa would be 3rd best in the league for goalies with more then 4 games, behind a 29 year old and UPL who many felt was the top rated goalie prospect coming into the year but is only in the ECHL due to his injury.

They need to get rid of Kinkaid or Lindgren. Make the other the backup and let McNiven and Primeau split in Laval.

if Kinkaid or Lindgren aren’t capable of backing up in the NHL, keeping them both doesn’t add anything.

Classic case of older players being progress stoppers. McNiven should be a priority.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They need to get rid of Kinkaid or Lindgren. Make the other the backup and let McNiven and Primeau split in Laval.

if Kinkaid or Lindgren aren’t capable of backing up in the NHL, keeping them both doesn’t add anything.

Classic case of older players being progress stoppers. McNiven should be a priority.

I think Lindgren can be a better backup then Kinkaid, I would go with 3 goalies in Laval as Primeau needs some time off and McNiven could take over as starter. Let Kinkaid mentor the 2 since he's a UFA so who cares if he doesn't play again this year.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I think Lindgren can be a better backup then Kinkaid, I would go with 3 goalies in Laval as Primeau needs some time off and McNiven could take over as starter. Let Kinkaid mentor the 2 since he's a UFA so who cares if he doesn't play again this year.

I would be fine with that - not playing him but keeping him around. It just makes no sense to have him in the AHL at the expense of McNiven.

What a garbage signing.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It's according to the ECHL Transactions page:

ECHL Transactions - Dec. 31.png

Reactions: jaffy27 and Eegs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Primeau getting called up?

It's odd because clearly Lindgren is in Montreal with Price.

Primeau is in Laval with Kinkaid.

I doubt they're going with a menage-a-trois in Laval.

My guess? Primeau may get sent to the ECHL (I really doubt this one). Or there is a trade in the works?

With this call up, they have 5 goalies in Montreal and Laval.

Columbus?

Reactions: jaffy27

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Probably a domino effect from the Comrie waiver claim by Winnipeg.

The Jets organization now has 2 goaltenders at the AHL level (Comrie and Berdin) and 2 goaltenders in the ECHL with Jacksonville (Carlson and Outhouse).

It seems that Montreal needs (once again) to find a new home for McNiven

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Probably a domino effect from the Comrie waiver claim by Winnipeg.

The Jets organization now has 2 goaltenders at the AHL level (Comrie and Berdin) and 2 goaltenders in the ECHL with Jacksonville (Carlson and Outhouse).

It seems that Montreal needs (once again) to find a new home for McNiven

That seems logical.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Sad but important article on McNiven's situation (TheAthletic). He simply wants to play.

The guys in charge of player development dropped the ball in his case. Following his call up, nobody contacted him so he trained in his in laws basement for a week. He said despite the last 2 years, he still wants to stay in this organization and supposedly other teams have called.

Really shows the importance of having an ECHL affiliate. He's outplayed his goalmates but given his status as an outsider, he hasn't been given priority (and rightfully so from the other organizations pov). He also has had a hard time getting access to the gym with his most recent team due to being unable to drive in the US and having practically no linemate who works out (so no carpooling). Obviously this guy is an adult, he can find solutions or alternatives but how much of a role should the organization have on a case like this as far as development is concerned. Its disappointing that this guy has been given the pink slip considering his progression last year and his success in the OHL.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With McNiven being an RFA they should at least give him a few games in Laval this year to see where his game is at after such a strong start in the ECHL. Who cares about Kinkaid, although he did have a strong game on Saturday but McNiven could have a future with us whereas Kinkaid clearly doesn't.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Marc Denis just said on RDS that McNiven is unlikely to receive a QO (Qualifying offer) this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad