Prospect Info: Michael McNiven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It sucks goalies don't have a ton of value on the trade market...

Great thing about a guy like Montoya, who signed as a free agent, is that any return is good value (if you're not downgrading his position significantly in the process). If I were calling the shots I'd be really tempted to flip Montoya, bring Lindgren up to the Habs, and let McNiven run with as much of this season in Laval as he can. I expect Fucale to be able to backup anyone down there this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Great thing about a guy like Montoya, who signed as a free agent, is that any return is good value (if you're not downgrading his position significantly in the process). If I were calling the shots I'd be really tempted to flip Montoya, bring Lindgren up to the Habs, and let McNiven run with as much of this season in Laval as he can. I expect Fucale to be able to backup anyone down there this year.

that's what I would do. I think Lindgren is ready to be the backup, but I'd be surprised if they moved Montoya just yet, maybe later in the year. Going to be interesting what they do since Lindgren was great last year and McNiven is coming off being CHL goalie of the year.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

They won't do this after the Condon experience IMO.

McNiven will end up in the ECHL and Fucale will backup Lindgren.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
It sucks goalies don't have a ton of value on the trade market...

Best case scenario is guys like Lindgren and McNiven continue to progress and become great, young backups like Raanta, Talbot, and Jones.

Not only do they eventually become great trade chips, we need better team goaltending. Need to give Price at least 20-25 nights off and without just going .500. And if he's ever injured, we can't be completely done. We haven't had an excellent backup in a very long time.

I could see Lindgren taking the spot next season and being very good.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
They won't do this after the Condon experience IMO.

McNiven will end up in the ECHL and Fucale will backup Lindgren.

You could very well be right about all of that. If they keep Montoya, it's the only way to give McNiven the 30-40 starts he needs to keep this good thing going.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
hate to say it but at this point McNiven is ahead of Fucale, Fucale will be in the ECHL.

It's not that easy. If they think they know what Fucale's about already and want to see what development they can get out of McNiven, they have to send McNiven where the starts are, and let Fucale backup wherever he slides in. If Lindgren is in Laval, there's absolutely no sense in putting McNiven behind him now and sending Fucale down for 40 starts in the ECHL instead (again). Potentially stunts the progress of both guys.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know not everyone follows or cares about Laval so I thought I would put this here. McNiven is having himself quite the season. Last year he struggled as imo he was put in a bad position as he went to the ECHL which was to be expected but after only 4 games where he didn't seem able to stop a beach ball, he was called up to Laval. There he sat on the bench behind Lindgren and Fucale so he didn't play enough and imo sat too long inbetween starts which is not what you want for a 20 year old rookie.

In the off-season it was said that he solved a bit of a medical issue I think it was to due to gluten, but he changed his diet and lost a lot of weight. At the start of the season he struggled despite looking much better then last year, going 1-4. Since then he's gone 9-3-2, he's imo taken over the starting job from Lindgren who has struggled since returning from injury. McNiven if you count goalies with 20 or more starts is now 4th in the AHL in gaa he's let in 24 goals in the last 13 games, and only 4 of those 13 games did he let in more then 2 goals.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
I know not everyone follows or cares about Laval so I thought I would put this here. McNiven is having himself quite the season. Last year he struggled as imo he was put in a bad position as he went to the ECHL which was to be expected but after only 4 games where he didn't seem able to stop a beach ball, he was called up to Laval. There he sat on the bench behind Lindgren and Fucale so he didn't play enough and imo sat too long inbetween starts which is not what you want for a 20 year old rookie.

In the off-season it was said that he solved a bit of a medical issue I think it was to due to gluten, but he changed his diet and lost a lot of weight. At the start of the season he struggled despite looking much better then last year, going 1-4. Since then he's gone 9-3-2, he's imo taken over the starting job from Lindgren who has struggled since returning from injury. McNiven if you count goalies with 20 or more starts is now 4th in the AHL in gaa he's let in 24 goals in the last 13 games, and only 4 of those 13 games did he let in more then 2 goals.

Been what, 10 years since we've drafted and developed even a backup goalie? Would be nice to solve that problem internally, can't just get a backup for nothing anymore, teams understand the value of a guy who can stsrt 25 games and hold the fort.

Reactions: Vachon23

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Been what, 10 years since we've drafted and developed even a backup goalie? Would be nice to solve that problem internally, can't just get a backup for nothing anymore, teams understand the value of a guy who can stsrt 25 games and hold the fort.

hopefully Lindgren can bounce back, and for a time it looked like Condon was going to be a decent backup. I'm liking what i'm seeing from McNiven though. Funny thing is all of them weren't drafted. Shows what a job the Habs Vincent Riendeau has job.

Although you have to be very impressed with what Primeau is doing, he's got to be one of the top goalie prospects out there and all while being a 7th rounder like another one of Timmins goalie picks in Halak. I also am a big fan of Hawkey, who they traded but he's having a great year again.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Call him up...maybe a Steve Penney? Nieme is terrible. Team needs a backup
Because of the success he's had, I'd rather he finish out the season in Laval and be able to build off that next year. Call up Lindgren if you are to give Price a break and don't trust Niemi to do so. I'd like to see them give McNiven the lion's share of workload from here on out as he hasn't played a ton of games since turning pro.

Reactions: montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Because of the success he's had, I'd rather he finish out the season in Laval and be able to build off that next year. Call up Lindgren if you are to give Price a break and don't trust Niemi to do so. I'd like to see them give McNiven the lion's share of workload from here on out as he hasn't played a ton of games since turning pro.
Logical idea

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

for sure! I'm hoping the Habs learn from their mistakes by calling up kids just as they are starting to put together a string of success after struggling. Leave him alone and let him build off this and make him the starter next year where he plays a ton and then you see what you have in him.

Reactions: Eegs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad