Player Discussion Michael Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He was very good on the PK last season with the terrible leafs:

A year ago, the Austrian was on for just 22 power-play goals against, one every 11:18.

Big reason why the Leafs, as brutal as they were, still had almost a top 10 PK.

And to compare the Rangers:

Rangers first-tandem partners Jesper Fast and Dominic Moore (on his way to other pastures as a free agent) were each on for 24 PPGAs in just over 171 minutes, or one goal per 7:08. Derek Stepan was on for a PPGA every 6:50 and Rick Nash one every 9:02.

Per Brooks

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
From what I've heard and read Grabner has lost some speed since having the hernia surgerys before leaving the Isles. Didn't watch him at all last season to know for sure but could be worth nothing if he's not flying around like he did in his early days with the Isles. Still a marginally slower Geabner is faster than most, I like this signing.

Grabner is still as fast as ever but can't score to save his life. Seemed like he had a couple of breakaways every game. Does everything else well. You love him and hate because you will be like look at him go but man why can't he score.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Grabner is still as fast as ever but can't score to save his life. Seemed like he had a couple of breakaways every game. Does everything else well. You love him and hate because you will be like look at him go but man why can't he score.
Alright good to hesr, and I'm already preparing myself for the nonexistent finish helps that were used to that with Kreider already.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Good signing Ranger fans, always liked Grabner's speed & $1.2 million per year is a heck of a deal for that speed. Unfortunately, that speed will be causing pains for my Pens for the next 2 seasons.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013

I think the very fact he has a break away every game keeps opposing dmen on their toes, especially when they got the puck in your zone. Makes them think twice about pinching in. The way that speed gets into your opponent's game plan & the way it makes them hesitate is well worth it for $1.2 million, even if it doesn't result in goals.

That's just my opinion tho, I could see how frustrating it could be to see so many breakaways withou scoring goals also. I just think speed has proven to be the most important aspect of NHL style hockey in this day & age.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think the very fact he has a break away every game keeps opposing dmen on their toes, especially when they got the puck in your zone. Makes them think twice about pinching in. The way that speed gets into your opponent's game plan & the way it makes them hesitate is well worth it for $1.2 million, even if it doesn't result in goals.

That's just my opinion tho, I could see how frustrating it could be to see so many breakaways withou scoring goals also. I just think speed has proven to be the most important aspect of NHL style hockey in this day & age.

I think Grabner will be good for you guys. He's fast, is not a turnover machine, has decent hickey IQ, gets to where he should be and is great on the PK.
It's just the scoring. Maybe he finds his touch but if not your board will probably be divided half through the season of love him/hate him crowd. Ours was but I actually did like him.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
Good signing Ranger fans, always liked Grabner's speed & $1.2 million per year is a heck of a deal for that speed. Unfortunately, that speed will be causing pains for my Pens for the next 2 seasons.

Im still surprised the ranger let Hagelin go his. Grabnerspeed is disruptive i'm just not sure if he's the same player he was. Or if his decline was A product of the leafs and injuries. He could thrive only time will tell.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Im still surprised the ranger let Hagelin go his. Grabnerspeed is disruptive i'm just not sure if he's the same player he was. Or if his decline was A product of the leafs and injuries. He could thrive only time will tell.

Letting Hagelin go was a mistake no doubt, but they were strapped for cap space so they had to trade him. Also, we did not see how you could win the Stanley Cup on pure speed until this season. For $1.2 million a season, I think the Rangers got a game changer. Not enough to win the Cup, but it's a step in the right direction.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
Letting Hagelin go was a mistake no doubt, but they were strapped for cap space so they had to trade him. Also, we did not see how you could win the Stanley Cup on pure speed until this season. For $1.2 million a season, I think the Rangers got a game changer. Not enough to win the Cup, but it's a step in the right direction.

They did get him at a great cap hit. If he can find his old game he could be a major key to their offense. I agree there has definitely been a shift in the NHL. Speed is a very valuable asset now. I think we will see A lot of teams trending toward speed and skill. Grabner could very well be an asset to the rangers. I'm curious who the rangers pair him up with. His drop in production may have had a lot to do with Toronto not utilizing him properly.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I think Grabner will be good for you guys. He's fast, is not a turnover machine, has decent hickey IQ, gets to where he should be and is great on the PK.
It's just the scoring. Maybe he finds his touch but if not your board will probably be divided half through the season of love him/hate him crowd. Ours was but I actually did like him.

I agree, but I'm not a Ranger fan.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
They did get him at a great cap hit. If he can find his old game he could be a major key to their offense. I agree there has definitely been a shift in the NHL. Speed is a very valuable asset now. I think we will see A lot of teams trending toward speed and skill. Grabner could very well be an asset to the rangers. I'm curious who the rangers pair him up with. His drop in production may have had a lot to do with Toronto not utilizing him properly.

He didn't lose his speed, he just started playing for the Leafs.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
He didn't lose his speed, he just started playing for the Leafs.

I was just looking at the drop of in his production since 2012. If I remember right he had a concussion then.I believe he also had a hernia surgery and another injury. He missed A lot of games and couldn't seem to put it together last year. He doesn't seem to have lost a step after watching footage. He may have just lost some confidence which can be fixed

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I was just looking at the drop of in his production since 2012. If I remember right he had a concussion then.I believe he also had a hernia surgery and another injury. He missed A lot of games and couldn't seem to put it together last year. He doesn't seem to have lost a step after watching footage. He may have just lost some confidence which can be fixed

He was good in 2013 as well, but the stats don't reflect that because much of the season got locked out.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
This is the kind of signing we used to laugh at the *****ders for when we were throwing around the big bucks and no one wanted to play for them.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I always liked grabner and still do. He had that 34 goal season with us, then after that it felt like the league sort of figured him out. His hands were never able to keep up with his speed. You can think of him as a poor mans haguelin

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Poor man's Carl Hagelin or rich man's Rico Fata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad