Player Discussion Michael Grabner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonGreschner

Apr 9, 2007
This team is going to lead the league in breakaways that are shot wide with Kreider and Grabner. Go out and make a play for Vanek and resign Moore.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Hope he can (somewhat) fill Hagelin's role, that we sorely missed last season. Speed that can stretch the ice is huge for our offense. Low-risk, medium reward type move.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's good on the PK because he gets on top of the point men really fast and if he gets behind them it's off to the races. If he could finish some of those breakaways though....that's the problem.

Rangers forwards did not pressure the points hard enough last year when they were killing penalties. Losing Hagelin hurt our PK a lot. This signing hopefully helps to rectify that at least a bit.

This point is exactly why Fast is a horrible PKer. He never pressures the points and is too hesitant to even apply pressure.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I didn't watch enough of TOR last year to get a sense of where Grabner is at. Can someone confirm or deny that he has lost half a step of footspeed?

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
This is a good deal. Rangers need speed desperately. Stalberg was good but at 36 he didn't fit that bill.

Edit: mixed up Stalberg's age, credit to darko for correction. Either way Stalberg is not quite that fast.

Last edited:

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
he's gonna miss the net a ton. saw a bunch of him with the Isles. not really a fan, tbh. he'll be a healthy scratch more times than he should be. time will only tell, i guess.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Kreider and Grabner on the same team may induce breakaway PTSD

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I like how we gave him a two year deal instead of one. We've been consistently giving out one year deals to players in this role who do well and then leave and get a raise. Pouliot/Stempniak (elsewhere)/Stalberg etc...This way if Grabner somehow rediscovers some offense we get him next year for cheap and if he doesn't he will still be a nice 4th liner with speed and PK.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I like how we gave him a two year deal instead of one. We've been consistently giving out one year deals to players in this role who do well and then leave and get a raise. Pouliot/Stempniak (elsewhere)/Stalberg etc...This way if Grabner somehow rediscovers some offense we get him next year for cheap and if he doesn't he will still be a nice 4th liner with speed and PK.

I'd think the 2 year deal is about the expansion draft, but I agree with you otherwise.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'd think the 2 year deal is about the expansion draft, but I agree with you otherwise.

This helps as well but I'd almost always prefer to give out a two year deal than a one year deal. I've posted about this before. Especially in the case where the player is cheap enough that if somehow it really doesn't work out you can send him to the AHL for a minimal hit.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
Rangers are rolling with the scrub signings. We need to trade lundqvist cause this team is not making playoffs for the next few years

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
a year later can grabner be the replacement for hagelin? hayes looked lost without hags so he probably hopes so

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I actually enjoy this signing - his main role is probably killing penalties.
And not too expensive - he has NHL experience for sure with some speed!
He is Hagelin (light version) less expensive, won`t have that much points probably, but he can improve indeed
with some good line m8`s in Rangers. Maybe he surprise us and improve his overall performance with the Rangers! :)

- I would hate to see Zucc killing penalties, because he always throw himself in front of the shooter,
and I always keep my eyes closed everytime.

Last edited:

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Trying to find puck retrieval wingers for Hayes. Guy need people to get in deep and get him the puck in a passing position. I like it.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
From what I've heard and read Grabner has lost some speed since having the hernia surgerys before leaving the Isles. Didn't watch him at all last season to know for sure but could be worth nothing if he's not flying around like he did in his early days with the Isles. Still a marginally slower Geabner is faster than most, I like this signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad