Meeting Complete - Goodenow/bettman Joining Talks Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYIsles1*

Saskin said today that " their multi-layered salary cap proposals were not the basis for an agreement..."

Bettman said a few days ago the NHL will not accept any proposal without
cost-certainty.

Either Saskin is posturing for a better deal tomorrow with a 45 million dollar cap or he is telling the truth.

I absolutely think he is telling the truth which means we have an impasse.

Cannot see anything coming out of tomorrows meeting besides the beginning of the end and neither man budging. The NHL's offer today even had both sides hiring someone to check each teams books with huge fines and draft picks for not disclosing required info.

Seems like they are more than willing to prove how much trouble this business is in.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Thornton97 said:
no, Eklund's post was there--i saw it, and when i refreshed the screen it was gone.

Oops, I best run and hide. The Gestapo will be arriving momentarily for (pah!) discussing something hockey related!

I understand what you're saying but we should only go by credible, non-anonymous, reliable sources. If everyone posted a link to every rumor he'd heard then this board would be even more flooded with contradictory statements and bickering. I understand HF's policy.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Geez, I thought the board would be jumping for joy after this recent news...

Goodenow has nothing to do with the announcement of the cancellation of the season Bettman dosen't need him or any member of the NHLPA present to announce the cancellation, in fact, why would they even be present at such an announcement?

So first things first, the season, if cancelled (which won't happen) won't be announced tomorrow...

Only 1 of 2 things can happen...

1.they'll just schedule more talks or come out with the same rhetoric we've heard the last few weeks, and we'll go through another week of torment...

2.They'll reach a deal...

I mean come on people, Ted Saskins statement on the NHLPA website is just smoke and mirrors...he's basically saying that the owners altered concepts from the last meeting, which to the NHLPA are do not equal making a deal....BUT WE'LL MEET AGAIN, AND THIS TIME WE'LL BRING GOODENOW????

People put way too much credit into what the media and news releases say, take a deep breath and look at it this whole situation as a negotiations process, it's not as easy as just meeting together and talking for a while and signing a deal...everyone thought it was over after the last meeting, but to our surprise, both sides were talking by telephone, or e-mail up until todays meeting, you guys really think they're putting this much effort into getting a deal done, to just cancel the season? get real!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Thornton97 said:
no, Eklund's post was there--i saw it, and when i refreshed the screen it was gone.

Oops, I best run and hide. The Gestapo will be arriving momentarily for (pah!) discussing something hockey related!

There's plenty of other sites where you can discuss the National Enquirer of hockey. This site prides itself on being better. If you don't like it, you're welcome to go to one of those others. During the season, we don't allow someone to claim a trade has gone down..with a messageboard source, even for the sake of conversation. This is no different. It has nothing to do with being "Gestapo," the rules are there for a reason, and you agreed to abide by them when you signed up for the board.

Jaysfanatic*

I've been pessimistic since the beginning of these talks......but with Gary and Bob joining, Im going towards optimism for the first time ever.......maybe that's a good thing, I dunno.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Devilsfanatic said:
I've been pessimistic since the beginning of these talks......but with Gary and Bob joining, Im going towards optimism for the first time ever.......maybe that's a good thing, I dunno.

YES!!!! :yo:

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
man, I feel like a woman with all of these up and down emotions. I'm pessimistic. I'm optimistic. I hate the players. I hate the players and owners both. :( :mad:

***A message to our female readers....J/K

B-MEL

Mar 25, 2002
La Habra, CA
Visit site
RMU2 said:
as many posters above has said bettman wouldn't meet w/ goodenow to cancel the season, so them being there i take as good news. Also i agree with whoever said why aren't they gonna still meet more today, the day is still very young they should be taking advantage of every hour they have, but apparently that makes too much sense for them. All and I all today has given me a glimmer of hope, and i'd be really hopefull if there were still talks going on between both sides, even if the official meeting is over for the day. I just hope tomorrow both sides remember what the late great badger bob said "it's a great day for hockey"

Gary has an appointment for a full body wax and Bob is getting his resume ready.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
A quote from Saskin...

I am not going to characterize the latest proposal with optimism or pessimism. It is all a part of the process, and we will continue discussions tomorrow."

It's isnt spot on, becauase I can't remember what he said word for word, but it was similar to that.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
hossy316 said:
So they can finally agree to disagree for the last time and cancel any further negotiations. Bettman will then annouce that the season is over.

Unfortunately....I have a feeling this is the likely event.....

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
JWI19 said:
They could do that via the telephone. I dont think Goodenow would leave his office to join Bettman in his backyard to say the season in cancelled.
I’m of the opinion that if/when the season is officially cancelled Goodenow will be nowhere around.

He’d (most likely) hold his own press conference to say look we the players did everything within our power to ensure that there would be hockey this season. The big bad league lead by Bettman et al cancelled the season on you.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
MagnusJondus said:
They could be meeting to cancel the season and discuss some issues that would relate to the upcoming months (decide what to do about the NHL Draft, craft a negotiation strategy leading up to next season, decide what to do about unsigned junior players that are to re-enter the draft, etc.).

I used to be a glass is half-full type of guy, but not anymore.

You consider what you just said as Glass Half Empty? Them actually agreeing on anything is entirely unlikely...IMO....

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Devilsfanatic said:

I dunno..maybe they have decided to settle this like men....10 rounds, broadcasted on PPV tomorrow for the low price of 75.99 that will go toward the winning side.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
davidwii said:
Unfortunately....I have a feeling this is the likely event.....

:lol

So let me get this straight, Goodenow and Bettman and the rest of the cronies are going to fly in from wherever they are, to agree to disagree?

That's ridiculous :lol

anyways, I was just listening to the team 1200, and they played a bit from James Cybulski from the Score interviewing Daly and Saskin...

Daly's interview was played first, and without saying what he said word for word, he said that this week is DO OR DIE it's gonna come down to this folks

Jaysfanatic*

It's great to hear James Cybulski's name being mentioned here! He's a broadcasting god!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
HockeyCritter said:
I’m of the opinion that if/when the season is officially cancelled Goodenow will be nowhere around.

He’d (most likely) hold his own press conference to say look we the players did everything within our power to ensure that there would be hockey this season. The big bad league lead by Bettman et al cancelled the season on you.

Exactly, why would they submit each other to the kind of barrage they would get if they were to announce the cancellation of the season together

That'll look great for both sides...

Bettman and Goodenow:the only thing they agree on is cancelling the season together, they haven't been able to agree on a damn thing since this whole thing started, but they're going to go ahead and announce the end of the season together...am I the only one who thinks that makes absolutely, unequivocally no sense at all? :dunno:

I guess they're both going to be there so they can hold hands while they announce it right? it shows unity :lol

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
davidwii said:
You consider what you just said as Glass Half Empty? Them actually agreeing on anything is entirely unlikely...IMO....

More clearly... I used to be an eternal optimist, but I see no reason* to be even the slightest bit optimistc anymore.

*(well, the only exception being Mark Madden's prognostication since I believe in him greatly.)

X-SHARKIE

I put my valentiens day present from my GF On hold to see what this week brings.

If the season is a go, She's buying me center ice.

No go, Hello PS2 games lol.

Seriosly.

I have to admit i'm very optimistic that both goodenow and Bettman are coming, yet a voice in my head is saying bad things.

I just sure hope as hell that something happens.

I WILL BE THE HAPPIEST MOFO !!!!!

Sorry for the random post, i'm just quite EXCITE!!! :amazed:

mooseOAK*

MOEBEAGLE said:
The only way to get this issue resolved is bargain in good faith and reach a deal that neither side likes but can live with but thats not in the cards from managements veiw point ( its break the union and nothing less )

Let it be known that of the two sides only one is guaranteed a profit, the players. Management has to make sure that the parts that they can't live with aren't going to be used against them in the future by the NHLPA because believe me, they will be looking for any loophole they can to start escalating salaries again.

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
417 TO MTL said:
:lol

So let me get this straight, Goodenow and Bettman and the rest of the cronies are going to fly in from wherever they are, to agree to disagree?

That's ridiculous :lol

anyways, I was just listening to the team 1200, and they played a bit from James Cybulski from the Score interviewing Daly and Saskin...

Daly's interview was played first, and without saying what he said word for word, he said that this week is DO OR DIE it's gonna come down to this folks

See 417, the deal is, whenever I go with my gut feeling.....reality always yanks me the other way. So if I go with the gut feeling that their gonna meet, cite philosophical differences, part ways and then Bettman will announce the season cancled...then maybe...just maybe.....there will be a season.

Besides...if my gut does end up being right...then I won't be let down...again...and again..

The fact that the two people necessary for a deal to truely be completed are re-entering the arena....that is a good thing.

NOO...NOO.I can't admit it...its a bad thing. Good Lord. Think we can sue the league and PA for emotional and phsycological damage when this is all over????

:mad: :banghead:

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYIsles1 said:
Either Saskin is posturing for a better deal tomorrow with a 45 million dollar cap or he is telling the truth.

I absolutely think he is telling the truth which means we have an impasse.
Hmmm...after watching many negotiations from near and far, it is my observation that everything said in public during negotiations is just posturing. Maybe that is why I don't get emotional about it. It is all just a high stakes poker game with a lot of bluffing going on.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
417 TO MTL said:
Bettman and Goodenow:the only thing they agree on is cancelling the season together, they haven't been able to agree on a damn thing since this whole thing started, but they're going to go ahead and announce the end of the season together...am I the only one who thinks that makes absolutely, unequivocally no sense at all? :dunno:

In the public eye, is it better for the NHL if Bettman's face is plastered on TV with the graphics saying "Season Cancelled" or both Bettman and Goodenow?

If Gary goes out there and cancels the season, the public perception and angst of the casual fan could (and likely would) swing against him, and synchronously Goodenow falls under the radar, fading into obscurity over the next months relatively scotch-free. If they cancel it jointly, they both shoulder the blame... as men... as they should.

Maybe they are both ready to take responsibility for what they are about to do.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
This is starting to piss me off... The NHLPA whines that the NHL makes no concessions. So the NHL takes its last proposal and COMPROMISES, makes changes. Then the NHLPA complains that its the same stuff they talked about. They know that the league cannot survive without a cap... the NHLPA seems to be making the compromises here. The only compromise I've seen from the players was the 24% rollback. A MAJOR one, dont get me wrong... but come on, this is clearly a lost "battle" if you will and they are just making things worse by not smartening up and accepting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad