Meeting Complete - Goodenow/bettman Joining Talks Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
littleHossa said:
"Mr. Bettman, Mr. Goodnow, we've talked amongst ourselves for the past week and have come to a common agreement, you're both fired"

:yo:

YES!!!

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
go_leafs_go02 said:
Why would they announce together that the season would be cancelled, I think only Bettman would do that.

this can only mean good things.

I said that they would confirm it, not annouce it!!

"Can you read my son?" - Bible pimp on Trailer Park Boys

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
go_leafs_go02 said:
Why would they announce together that the season would be cancelled, I think only Bettman would do that.

this can only mean good things.

I'd have to agree. Bobby & Gary can't stand one another, so to meet to jointly to cancel the season doesn't make sence.
Somethings coming down, hold on to your hats/helmets/jocks....

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i'm not really feeling optimistic after reading the press release from the NHLPA. If things were going well...there wouldn't have been a release...and it's not as if they're saying, "there are still some things we don't agree with." they come right out and say the problem is the cap, and the owners aren't going to bend on that, for good reason. i think we're just about done.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why wait until tomorrow to meet?! Seems to me we've got 9 1/2 hours left in this day, why not use every minute available?

I just think Bettmann and Goodenow want to see us squirm for another day. And you know what my reply is, I'm calling up Tony Soprano!! :handclap: :D

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Brewleaguer said:
I'd have to agree. Bobby & Gary can't stand one another, so to meet to jointly to cancel the season doesn't make sence.
Somethings coming down, hold on to your hats/helmets/jocks....

People, have you not read the statement that Ted Saskin put out that is on nhlpa.com.

How can someone read that and expect that an agreement is coming forth??

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
hossy316 said:
I said that they would confirm it, not annouce it!!

"Can you read my son?" - Bible pimp on Trailer Park Boys

The argument still makes no sense. Scheduling a meeting for the sole sake of some sort of 'confirmation' seems completely unecessary. And why would Bettman confirm a cancellation with Goodenow anyways, it's the Leagues decision. If they had thought todays proposal was the best they could possibly concede to they would have simply cancelled today. I think this is more the NHLPA again coming back with more alterations of the proposal (lower UFA age, unrefined arbitration, etc.), which hopefully the league will let them have.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If they NHLPA is so hard pressed on their stance of "NO CAP", they wouldnt have proposed a meeting tomorrow. I really can't say what will come of tomorrows meetng, but we will have to wait and see...

again... :speechles

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Superman33 said:
Yeah, but it seems alittle odd that it was rejected immediately yet they have been talking for over 3 hours and counting now, if the reports of the meeting still going on are correct. Maybe they rejected the $42 million cap and are trying to talk that number up.

not odd...wrong. i apoligize if this has already been posted from TSN
TSN.ca Staff
2/2/2005
Wednesday's talks between the NHL and NHLPA have ended in Newark, New Jersey with the NHLPA rejecting the league's latest proposal.

so...there you are. talks are not on going. there is talk of another meeting. the nhl proposal has been rejected after it was explained. on we go.

Crows*

After today , I see no reason for optimism.

I was one of the most optimistic people out there the entire lockout. NO more.... ONly a fools hope.
SOrry everyone. :cry:

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Crows said:
After today , I see no reason for optimism.

I was one of the most optimistic people out there the entire lockout. NO more.... ONly a fools hope.
SOrry everyone. :cry:

There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
txpd said:
not odd...wrong. i apoligize if this has already been posted from TSN
TSN.ca Staff
2/2/2005
Wednesday's talks between the NHL and NHLPA have ended in Newark, New Jersey with the NHLPA rejecting the league's latest proposal.

so...there you are. talks are not on going. there is talk of another meeting. the nhl proposal has been rejected after it was explained. on we go.

:banghead: :mad: :banghead: :mad:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I guess i'm an optimist at heart. If things were dead as people like to make them seem, Bettman and Goodenow wouldn't be joining the meeting. I mean they aren't gonna have a press conference together to cancel the season.

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
as many posters above has said bettman wouldn't meet w/ goodenow to cancel the season, so them being there i take as good news. Also i agree with whoever said why aren't they gonna still meet more today, the day is still very young they should be taking advantage of every hour they have, but apparently that makes too much sense for them. All and I all today has given me a glimmer of hope, and i'd be really hopefull if there were still talks going on between both sides, even if the official meeting is over for the day. I just hope tomorrow both sides remember what the late great badger bob said "it's a great day for hockey"

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
JWI19 said:
I guess i'm an optimist at heart. If things were dead as people like to make them seem, Bettman and Goodenow wouldn't be joining the meeting. I mean they aren't gonna have a press conference together to cancel the season.
i'd say so :)

I Hate You All*

From reading this thread and through my sources (a couple of really big influencial pieces of **** in my toilet) I have learned that:

Gary Bettman just ICQed Bill Watters and told him that he heard it through the grapevine that the meeting is still on!

Chinook has some very good sources and if you don't know who he is don't worry about it. (This simply means that you are out of touch with reality and are basically... a pathetic loser. I mean come on, Chinook is famous; everybody knows him!)
He would be very very suprised if there is not a season!

These are definately, most definately, signs of good things to come!

(I am so pumped up right now.)

Phelan

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Here's my prediction.
Mr. Bettman: We are here to make an announcement regarding our current situation regarding the CBA. I will now hand over the microphone to Mr. Goodnow.
Mr. Goodnow: Both sides have come to a major agreement regarding this current lock out. We have both agreed that the season is over; F-You everybody.
GOOD NIGHT!!!

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
hossy316 said:
People, have you not read the statement that Ted Saskin put out that is on nhlpa.com.

Which then begs the question of why the NHLPA would ask that the head honchos be present in tomorrow's meeting?

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
hossy316 said:

You're right. I read that and assume that it's just as misleading a statement as the ones that the NHL and PA have been sending out all along over the past month. In my opinion, I see NO chance that the season will be canceled.

Think about all the different bits of news that we've had over the past month - hockey equipment ordered by Anaheim and Phoenix, Mark Madden (who is a reliable source on hockey matters), talks that CONTINUE to go on despite all the insistance that the PA will not accept a cap and that the NHL will not budge off of! I could go on and on. The point is, you can no longer look at this lockout from the perspectives of the press, because the NHL and PA are trying to keep them from discovering their meetings. It all fits together like a jigsaw puzzle! Bettman and Goodenow are meeting tomorrow, and I assure you of one thing - unless I'm ridiculously mistaken, only good things will come of it.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
westcoast said:
The argument still makes no sense. Scheduling a meeting for the sole sake of some sort of 'confirmation' seems completely unecessary. And why would Bettman confirm a cancellation with Goodenow anyways, it's the Leagues decision. If they had thought todays proposal was the best they could possibly concede to they would have simply cancelled today. I think this is more the NHLPA again coming back with more alterations of the proposal (lower UFA age, unrefined arbitration, etc.), which hopefully the league will let them have.
Because Goodenow and Bettman are the deadline guys. Tomorrow will find out the final decision....more optimistic than ever

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Too much is adding up.... SOMETHING is going on for there to be hope.

This "season is dead" talk should be atleast halted for the time being... why would these two clowns meet? Because they represent their constituents and something will happen. What? It's already ruled out that they wouldnt cancel the season as a tandem.. so for the most obvious resolution.. they are either debating some minor issue or signing it.

Or they are taking route three, where Bettman and the BOG call Goodenow into a meeting, pull their pants down and moon him. Season over.

Why do I hope for the comical sake that route three is the one we see?

Brewleaguer

Jan 31, 2005
hossy316 said:

I said something is coming down, NOT an agreement forth coming.

I just don't buy that Bobby and Gary are going to meet to confirm the cancellation of the season. They would do that separately and remotely.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Digger12 said:
Which then begs the question of why the NHLPA would ask that the head honchos be present in tomorrow's meeting?

So they can finally agree to disagree for the last time and cancel any further negotiations. Bettman will then annouce that the season is over.

I Hate You All*

Chinook said:
Mark Madden (who is a reliable source on hockey matters)... unless I'm ridiculously mistaken, only good things will come of it.

YES!!!

TELL THEM, JESSE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->