Meeting Complete - Goodenow/bettman Joining Talks Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
They could be meeting to cancel the season and discuss some issues that would relate to the upcoming months (decide what to do about the NHL Draft, craft a negotiation strategy leading up to next season, decide what to do about unsigned junior players that are to re-enter the draft, etc.).

I used to be a glass is half-full type of guy, but not anymore.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
nomorekids said:
i'm not really feeling optimistic after reading the press release from the NHLPA. If things were going well...there wouldn't have been a release...and it's not as if they're saying, "there are still some things we don't agree with." they come right out and say the problem is the cap, and the owners aren't going to bend on that, for good reason. i think we're just about done.
That release was PR and nothing more. I think its clear the players are caving and they want it known to the fans that its the players that are calling the parties back to the table. I think the players are ready to accept a cap and are right now figuring out ways to talk the cap number up to 45 or 50 million. I also think they are going to get the nhl to back off other things in the proposal. That way it looks like they have won something in this.

I'm optimistic that a week from now we are talking about player x not being shape for camp and player y looks like he has spent the lockout at dunkin donuts. There is a deal to be made here and i think both sides realize it. No way they throw the season away if either side was going to they would have done it a month ago.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
If the season would be cancelled, then why on earth would Goodenow be present at the meeting.. The message is out to the general public, and in this case, Goodenow is the general public who would hear this message and realize that they (NHL) have decided to cancel the whole season. Goodenow has nothing to do with that decision (besides trying to make the season actually happen) but nothing do with the announcement.

Then again, why on earth would the NHLpa release that statement on their website? I really don't know, especialy with the insistance that Goodenow and Bettman attend tomorrow's meeting, why? to negotiate, not to declare its done with.

Wait till tomorrow, and then we will know for certain whether or not we'll have a season. None of this "its over" crap i hear all over the place. The NHL & PA have been very discreet in their messages, and most of it can be taken one way or another. Hopefully the message is more optimistic than pessimistic.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
hossy316 said:
So they can finally agree to disagree for the last time and cancel any further negotiations. Bettman will then annouce that the season is over.

They could do that via the telephone. I dont think Goodenow would leave his office to join Bettman in his backyard to say the season in cancelled.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Chinook said:
You're right. I read that and assume that it's just as misleading a statement as the ones that the NHL and PA have been sending out all along over the past month. In my opinion, I see NO chance that the season will be canceled.

Think about all the different bits of news that we've had over the past month - hockey equipment ordered by Anaheim and Phoenix, Mark Madden (who is a reliable source on hockey matters), talks that CONTINUE to go on despite all the insistance that the PA will not accept a cap and that the NHL will not budge off of! I could go on and on. The point is, you can no longer look at this lockout from the perspectives of the press, because the NHL and PA are trying to keep them from discovering their meetings. It all fits together like a jigsaw puzzle! Bettman and Goodenow are meeting tomorrow, and I assure you of one thing - unless I'm ridiculously mistaken, only good things will come of it.

goddamn these mind games :madfire:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
go_leafs_go02 said:
If the season would be cancelled, then why on earth would Goodenow be present at the meeting.. The message is out to the general public, and in this case, Goodenow is the general public who would hear this message and realize that they (NHL) have decided to cancel the whole season. Goodenow has nothing to do with that decision (besides trying to make the season actually happen) but nothing do with the announcement.

Then again, why on earth would the NHLpa release that statement on their website? I really don't know, especialy with the insistance that Goodenow and Bettman attend tomorrow's meeting, why? to negotiate, not to declare its done with.

Wait till tomorrow, and then we will know for certain whether or not we'll have a season. None of this "its over" crap i hear all over the place. The NHL & PA have been very discreet in their messages, and most of it can be taken one way or another. Hopefully the message is more optimistic than pessimistic.

Well said. I was very optomistic upon hearing that Dumb and Dumber will be attending tomorrow's meeting, but the NHLPA release has me scratching their head. If they are trying to save face upon accepting a cap, that is not the way to go about it.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
JWI19 said:
They could do that via the telephone. I dont think Goodenow would leave his office to join Bettman in his backyard to say the season in cancelled.
I agree, I think the fact athat the two head guys joining the discussions tommorrow is a good thing. But I have been wrong every time I got a good feeling about this thing.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
cneely said:
Well said. I was very optomistic upon hearing that Dumb and Dumber will be attending tomorrow's meeting, but the NHLPA release has me scratching their head. If they are trying to save face upon accepting a cap, that is not the way to go about it.

mind games? NHLPA makes NHL think they'll not accept a cap and then come to the meeting willing to accept one and a.) get the cap up to the $45m-$50m range b.) get the other details to go in the players' favor??? :dunno:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
They wont let the season drift into nothingness. (As Kypreos insists on Sportsnet)... I believe some form of an announcement will be made tomorrow.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
If there are any further doubts about the credibility of Mark Madden on the lockout issue, note that he said as early as Monday that this would probably be resolved on Thursday. Note that Thursday is the exact day that Bettman and Goodenow will meet...

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
hossy316 said:
So they can finally agree to disagree for the last time and cancel any further negotiations. Bettman will then annouce that the season is over.
MagnusJondus said:
They could be meeting to cancel the season and discuss some issues that would relate to the upcoming months (decide what to do about the NHL Draft, craft a negotiation strategy leading up to next season, decide what to do about unsigned junior players that are to re-enter the draft, etc.)

Unfortunatly, this is my way of thinking as well.

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
"Season Cancelled!
Not yet. But my sources tell me soon. Stay tuned and get your baseball gear ready!!! "
wait...has been deleted already...posted by somebody else and retructed by Eklund

Last edited:

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
RMU2 said:
, the day is still very young they should be taking advantage of every hour they have, "

To do what? Unless someone is going to cave, which doesn't look like its going to happen, then they should just move on. Stop paying these clowns their per diems and flying them around the country. The groups combined have probably spent more on travel, meetings, hotels than Pittsburgh spent on salary last year :p:

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
ted saskin was just on the score. he didnt comment on the meetings, just said the nhlpa feels proposals are useless (paraphrased) at this time. and that they would be back at it tommorow with bob and gary.

so no real comments. no news is good news?

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
no, Eklund's post was there--i saw it, and when i refreshed the screen it was gone.

Oops, I best run and hide. The Gestapo will be arriving momentarily for (pah!) discussing something hockey related!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->