Post-Game Talk: Meee-wow!!! Jets tame the kitties, 3-2 OT

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I watched twice and the only person I saw raving about that made quite a few errors was Redmond...
Specially a lot in the beginning of the first, but luckily for him usually one of the Jets recovered right away. He's a rookie playing 20+ minutes so it's not a big deal to me... but he's the only one that would match what you are suggesting.

And EVERYONE is biased in one way or another. But, I do point out the errors in even my favourite players, and most everyone else do here, so I think that's a mute point of bias.

I also thought Redmond had a bit of a fall back game last night, but being at home probably made him nervous.

Right now Postma>>>Redmond. I don't think that PP will be seeing the AHL again. Redmond needs to cook a bit more on the rock, though I have been impressed with him.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
He's has to atleast make the playoffs first to call him one of the best starters in the NHL today.

He made his name in Florida, but became one of the best on the planet before the Canucks started to dominate the regular season. Plus lets not forget the Panthers were worse then the Jets are now at the time.

You're contradicting yourself a little too much, man.

You refuted my post about Lehtonen being one of the best starters in the NHL by saying "Playoffs aren't the mark. Its just to be one of the best goalies in the league for awhile, you'd think you would have made the playoffs atleast once." And yet when I show you the same situation with Lu in Florida apparently "the Panthers were worse than the Jets".

But if he is an elite tender, he should've made the playoffs at least 1 of the 5 years he played there by your logic, no?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

You refuted my post about Lehtonen being one of the best starters in the NHL by saying "Playoffs aren't the mark. Its just to be one of the best goalies in the league for awhile, you'd think you would have made the playoffs atleast once." And yet when I show you the same situation with Lu in Florida apparently "the Panthers were worse than the Jets".

But if he is an elite tender, he should've made the playoffs at least 1 of the 5 years he played there by your logic, no?

Not to mention claiming Pavelec is in the upper echelon of goaltenders with all of his playoff success...

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg

How is that contradicting myself? I said Lu made his name with the Panthers, but was not one of the best goalies in the NHL at the time. Lehtonen is making a name for himself in Dallas, but to call one of the best starters in the league today is a bit of a strech, no? Putting words in my mouth by saying I called him "Elite" or one of the "best" in the league while he was a Panther, when all I said is he made his name there is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Better defensive system making better goalie stats is a huge misnomer...
In fact only two coaches have seemed to *consistently* change goalie stats and it's even a lot smaller than what people tend to make it out.
Dave Tippet
Ken Hitchcock
The two of them are famous for their far above defensive systems and improving goalies yet both of them barely improve goalies sv% by 0.004 (Hitchcock) and 0.006 (Tippet)... yup that's what a defensive system does. For a goalie who faces 1500 shots that's under a 5 goal difference...

Goalies stats can swing quite a bit at times year to year which makes it hard which is why you look at trends.

When it comes to Pavelec you can't really *completely* blame the system or the team, because very well known worse systems and teams have produced better sv% AND much better systems and teams have goalies with better sv%... I do however think that GAA is largely swayed by team effects, and the numbers back up both these points.

Pavelec does have great potential as he has awesome size and raw athleticism/skill... he does have weaknesses that are VERY well known outside of the Winnipeg realm: positioning and stamina/conditioning. To deny those weaknesses is to deny what every scout and 3rd party scout has ever vocalized.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I also thought Redmond had a bit of a fall back game last night, but being at home probably made him nervous.

Right now Postma>>>Redmond. I don't think that PP will be seeing the AHL again. Redmond needs to cook a bit more on the rock, though I have been impressed with him.

Agree, Jet. Redmond had some small 'oops' last night but on the whole, all things considered, i'm very happy. It was great seeing him pick up 2 assists, the smile on his face was priceless.

Postma and Redmond right now have me quite happy and excited, it's nice seeing some youth make way.

I liked some of the passes Redmond made, very nice passes. Also like his ability to get the puck on net, he had a couple good opportunities from getting the puck to the net. Lastly, he and Postma skate the puck out of trouble quite well I find, very little panic and they show nice composure.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
How is that contradicting myself? I said Lu made his name with the Panthers, but was not one of the best goalies in the NHL at the time. Lehtonen is making a name for himself in Dallas, but to call one of the best starters in the league today is a bit of a strech, no? Putting words in my mouth by saying I called him "Elite" or one of the "best" in the league while he was a Panther, when all I said is he made his name there is just ridiculous.

I think the biggest part of all this is you're willing to fall on the knife for Pavelec, when compared to all these other goaltenders in the league and the countless reasons (other than their own actual talent) they're better is constantly being ignored.

And yet Ondrej is the one goalie in this whole discussion who has yet to show consistent improvement.

2010-11 - 2.73 GAA .914 SVV
2011-12 - 2.91 GAA .906 SVV
This year - 3.31 GAA .889 SVV

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Clitsome, I agree. Don't think he has a long-term future with the Jets.

Stuart, would like to see him stick around. Like the grit, and hopefully he can stay in that 3rd pairing.

I think Trouba will move up your list, if that's a ranked list, pretty quickly once he gets here. Postma and Redmond can fill holes, but Trouba has the ability to be a real difference maker on the blueline, with a year or two of experience. IMO, Bogo and Trouba (along with Buff) greatly increases the quality of our d. Jets have to play with what they have for the moment, but the future looks fairly bright.

Postma is a nice offensive defensemen, but once Trouba arrives, i think most fans will be saying Paul-who? I think a Stuart/Redmond 3rd pairing has the potential to be a nasty, hard to play against, pairing. I like that.

I agree about Stuart. Sure, the line up without him might have more skill, but pretty much every Stanley Cup winner has had that defenseman on their bottom pair that is a veteran, gritty, shot blocking heart and soul guy. I suppose we could try and replace him once we are closer to competing for a cup, but having him on the bottom pair is a good thing. Having too many non physical defenseman on a team is not good. Bogosian, Trouba, Stuart. One physical guy on each pair. I'm fine with that.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the biggest part of all this is you're willing to fall on the knife for Pavelec, when compared to all these other goaltenders in the league and the countless reasons (other than their own actual talent) they're better is constantly being ignored.

And yet Ondrej is the one goalie in this whole discussion who has yet to show consistent improvement.

2010-11 - 2.73 GAA .914 SVV
2011-12 - 2.91 GAA .906 SVV
This year - 3.31 GAA .889 SVV
I like how you forget to mention he's got better in the stat that really counts... wins!

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
All the other goaltenders you mentioned had great or even good d-corps?

Has the Stars' d corps or the Wild's been something we should envy?

Envy is a bit of a strong word, maybe prefer. Plus we are talking about Veteran goalies here (Lu, Lehtonen, Backstrom). This is just Pavs second year as the clear cut #1 guy.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Agree, Jet. Redmond had some small 'oops' last night but on the whole, all things considered, i'm very happy. It was great seeing him pick up 2 assists, the smile on his face was priceless.

Postma and Redmond right now have me quite happy and excited, it's nice seeing some youth make way.

I liked some of the passes Redmond made, very nice passes. Also like his ability to get the puck on net, he had a couple good opportunities from getting the puck to the net. Lastly, he and Postma skate the puck out of trouble quite well I find, very little panic and they show nice composure.

This will be interesting to watch.

Postma is better offensively and has the one way deal.

Redmond has been used on the PK (which is a team need).

Clitsome may actually be the odd man out when things are all said and done.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: I can't take it, man.

Thats ok, thats what these boards are all about, sharing opinions. When people try and tell me Scheifele is the second coming I get frusterated too, but to each there own ;). I do have to point out that just because Pavs had better stats in previous years, didn't mean he had a better winning %.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
This will be interesting to watch.

Postma is better offensively and has the one way deal.

Redmond has been used on the PK (which is a team need).

Clitsome may actually be the odd man out when things are all said and done.

Best case scenario right here, in my opinion. If these kids can continue their solid play and we get a healthy blueline, it would be nice to see them stick around.

Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, Hainsey, Postma, Stuart, Redmond.

I like. It works too I think because we'll get a physical presence in Bogosian back, which will be a nice addition, while even though Postma/Redmond have a nice offensive touch, their defensive games have been quite solid too. A nice mix. Would still like a real physical, Robyn Regehr-like top 4 defenceman, but for now I like our mix.

On top of everything, if these kids can work with Huddy the way Bogosian did last season, hopefully we see the same results, perhaps we already are.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Envy is a bit of a strong word, maybe prefer. Plus we are talking about Veteran goalies here (Lu, Lehtonen, Backstrom). This is just Pavs second year as the clear cut #1 guy.

Whaaaaaa?

Not to nitpick, but he was the clearcut #1 for the Thrashers over Mason as well. Anyone who watched the Thrashers could tell you that.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Whaaaaaa?

Not to nitpick, but he was the clearcut #1 for the Thrashers over Mason as well. Anyone who watched the Thrashers could tell you that.

True.

But don't forget he fainted at the season opener before the puck drop and was out for some time. After that, they were afraid to overplay him because of his conditioning and played him not really like a true starter either.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I don't think Redmond is that far behind Postma, if much at all myself. Reds had a couple of turnovers last night, but like someone said, he's playing a lot of minutes (and tough ones) for a guy playing his first few games in the show.

PP will for sure not see the Rock again. Even if all things were equal, he has a 1 way deal and would have to go through waivers I believe.

It's nice to see both of these guys play well this "early" in their NHL careers (in terms of games played in the NHL, not age). It would be great if one of them could move to the left. And it would be great if either Bogo or Trouba could move to the left as well. A D corp in say 3 years of:

Enstrom - Buff
Bogo/Trouba - Bogo/Trouba
Reds/Postma - Reds/Postma

would be nice to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad