Post-Game Talk: Meee-wow!!! Jets tame the kitties, 3-2 OT

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
.925 this year.

GAA consistently going down each year since he focused on his conditioning and training.

2.81 in 09/10
2.55 in 10/11
2.33 in 11/12 .....

Lehtonen is one of the best starters in the NHL today.

He's has to atleast make the playoffs first to call him one of the best starters in the NHL today.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I liked that one of the callers after the game last night on 1290 referred to the game as "awesomely awesome".
Oh and to the city perhaps after a Jets game is not a good time to cut down and clean up the blvd snow along Osbourne... it was a gong show! 45 minutes to drive about a 5 minute stretch.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ugh, I can't argue about this anymore. The fact you said you'd have a tough time trading Pavs for Schneider straight up eliminates any point of a debate.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
SV % Pavs ranks 32nd in NHL

GAA Pavs ranks 34th in NHL

2011-2012 season

SV % Pavs ended up 34th in NHL

GAA Pavs was 38th in NHL

Pretty tough to say he is an elite NHL goalie any way you look at it, I would say average at best.

I agree that he's average. I also would say that the team needs to play much better in front of him. Yes he's let in some bad goals this year, but other times he's completely left out in the cold by his d, especially on the PK. Anyone can stand in front of the net without any harassment at all. I'd say Pavs stays back in the net on these plays just so he can see the puck, he either has to move out of position to see the play, or stay in position but play blind.

I also think he's the second best goalie in the division behind Ward, as someone said, but Lindback is also proving very good.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If Backstrom is so great, why does Minnesota never make the playoffs? You can't honestly say Toronto and Florida have better starting goaltending then we do?

Why don't they make the playoffs? Because their team sucks.

And if playoffs are the mark of a good goalie, shouldn't you take the Sharks and Hawks off you teams in need list?

Florida? Not really, but they weren't on your list.

Toronto? I think they are in a comparable spot. They are starting an inconsistent youngster and hoping for the best, but their youngster is younger and has been better statistically this both year and throughout his pro career. Reimer isn't better, but he is similar IMO.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg

And if playoffs are the mark of a good goalie, shouldn't you take the Sharks and Hawks off you teams in need list?

Toronto? I think they are in a comparable spot. They are starting an inconsistent youngster and hoping for the best, but their youngster is younger and has been better statistically this both year and throughout his pro career. Reimer isn't better, but he is similar IMO.

Playoffs aren't the mark. Its just to be one of the best goalies in the league for awhile, you'd think you would have made the playoffs atleast once.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg

I said he was the second best goalie in our division, which includes the Panthers.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
With the back to back Presidents Trophy winners infront of him. :handclap:

So using that logic, you also believe Luongo who you said is "one of the best tenders on the planet" is also a product of having the Presidents trophy winners in front of him?

And is also someone you would have a hard time trading Pavelec straight up for then, yes?

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So using that logic, you also believe Luongo who you said is "one of the best tenders on the planet" is also a product of having the Presidents trophy winners in front of him?

And is also someone you would have a hard time trading Pavelec straight up for then, yes?

Lu made his name with Florida, not Vancouver. :shakehead

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
He may steal the puck on occasion but he gives it away more often. He literally throws it away most often via a poorly chosen pass attempt, or he'll softly give it away when checked. You claim he makes smart defensive plays but not giving the puck away continuously is kind of a big part of defensive hockey; possession. Maintaining possession while on offense is a part of playing defensive hockey, an abstract concept that is lost in discussion quite often.

Rolling a guy that can't win a draw in the #2 centre slot isn't the way to win more games than you lose. He isn't physically strong enough for the role at 175 pounds. He is okay as a checker on pk; I like that part of his game. On balance he is not a #2 center though.

Error.

Burmistrov is only one of top5 forwards on the Jets who actually gains the puck more than he loses last season. He does giveaway a bit but about average for the team... his takeaways tend to be the best of the team. In order from best to worse last season for gaining puck more than losing:
Little
Kane
Wheeler
Burmistrov
Wellwood

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Faceoffs aren't the be all, end all for centers, even young ones who may not learn the craft to a tee for quite some time.

Burmistrov's lack of size also doesn't worry me about his future faceoff ability, mainly because he is feisty as it is, which I think in time will really help him in the faceoff circle, I hope so. Sure size helps a bit, but not overly too much in my opinion. Staal and Getzlaf, both big centers, two of the games best, have never been too good in the faceoff circle. So much so that they're lucky to hit 50%.

Eric Staal, for example, not good in the faceoff circle, was quite bad as a younger player entering the league and it carried on into his career. The last couple seasons he's improved a touch and is closer to or above the 50% mark.

From 03-04 to 09-10, Staal hovered around 41%-45% tops all in which he took 1200-1700 faceoffs (aside from rookie season at 669).

Ryan Getzlaf, another who was consistently poor in the faceoff circle for a number 1 center, he has ranged from 44%-47% on average since he entered the league.

Then we have Burmistrov, who just turned 21 four months ago, and in his first 3 seasons in taking 500-700 faceoffs, he's ranged 41%-44%, while thus far this season through just 77 faceoffs he's at 46.8.

Again, Burmistrov JUST turned 21 years old 4 months ago. He is so young, yet shows such good tools here. If and when he can put it together, and at this rate I really don't see why he won't find his rhythm, he could be a special player.

Last edited:

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So going by your earlier logic again.....

He's has to atleast make the playoffs first to call him one of the best starters in the NHL today.

Lu made his name with Florida, not Vancouver. :shakehead

If Lu made his name in Florida why did the Panthers not make the playoffs at least once during his time there. Given he is "one of the best tenders in the world", surely he could've found a way to make the post season which is what defines an elite goaltender, no?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
You guys can disagree with me all you wish. I'd encourage anyone that can watch the game with an unbiased eye to fire up your pvr replay and just pay clear attention to what Burmistrov did with the puck in the first period. Every draw that he took he lost cleanly. Every time he touched the puck the other team came away with it immediately afterward.

He can't win any draws. You need a guy in that spot that can win them more than he loses. Whatever. I'm a fan of the team and am happy with the final outcome. One reason the game was so sloppy and choppy over the first half though was the overtly poor play of the guy that you guys are raving about.

I watched twice and the only person I saw raving about that made quite a few errors was Redmond...
Specially a lot in the beginning of the first, but luckily for him usually one of the Jets recovered right away. He's a rookie playing 20+ minutes so it's not a big deal to me... but he's the only one that would match what you are suggesting.

And EVERYONE is biased in one way or another. But, I do point out the errors in even my favourite players, and most everyone else do here, so I think that's a mute point of bias.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
So going by your earlier logic again.....

If Lu made his name in Florida why did the Panthers not make the playoffs at least once during his time there. Given he is "one of the best tenders in the world", surely he could've found a way to make the post season which is what defines an elite goaltender, no?

He made his name in Florida, but became one of the best on the planet before the Canucks started to dominate the regular season. Plus lets not forget the Panthers were worse then the Jets are now at the time.

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
By quicker you mean shiftier? I would probably agree with that, but IMHO Wright has much better top end speed than Machacek. Spencer has always struck me as a choppy skater with average top end speed, which does limit what he can do offensively.

I'm pretty much indifferent to both players. They're both dime-a-dozen 4th liners that you're always looking to improve upon, although I would tend towards Machacek having a bit more upside and untapped potential.

I don't know about that. Wright is 2 years younger, and he is 2 inches taller and 14 lbs heavier. You can't teach size, and him being in the NHL 2 years younger means something as well.

The ship has pretty much sailed on Spencer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad