Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Keefe may not be the answer but he definitely wasn't the problem.

Whoever comes in has to be a take-charge, "It's my way or the highway type".

That is unlikely in Toronto, so the team will continue to be the laughing stock of pro sports

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Class act by Keefe.

Obviously wasnt the man for the job and clearly didn't get results, but I respect him still doing that presser and his message after the firing.

He was more relieved than anything. He knew his time to move on.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Here is Mike Babcock when I introduce him as the new coach to the core.

hello-boys-im-back.gif

f67539ee-14ed-4c05-b891-2adb0395a70c_text.gif
to
Best way to get Marner to waive 😆

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Keefe was given a very difficult hand to play.

The previous coach tried to enforce systems on the team that would succeed in the playoffs. But that lowers padded stats for the entitled and selfish star players. So they all rumbled to the media and turned Babcock into Hitler overnight. His crimes were things like "yelling" at millionaire adults. But ok. Moving on.

Keefe comes in fully knowing that there will be open rebellion if he doesn't let them play with who they want to play with, and if he enforced systems that won't let them pad their regular season stats.

Like, what is he supposed to do? He doesn't want to be turned into a cartoonish level super villain like they did to Babcock. So he let them pad their stats in the regular season fully knowing it won't go well in the playoffs. He'll get a few years, make a dozen million dollars or so, and then eventually get fired without being turned into Hitler by the media. It was his only real option.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
But didn't he try to do that last year? And look what happened. he had to retract it the next day. Who do you think told him to do that? Yup, straight from Shanahan! No, I do not have any inside facts to back that up, but when Shanahan told the core they were coming back as soon as he fired Dubas, to me that said it all!
Keefe was a problem, Shanahan is still the biggest problem, if he’s not fired, maybe they let him ride out his contract so he can save face and just make sure he has zero to do with hockey decision……

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
You never want someone to get fired, they have families to support and such. But it was time. We need a new face of the team, and someone that will elevate the performance of the team.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
He was on a 30 goal pace twice here and he was hurt two years in the playoffs. Recall when Dubas was over paying, his minions were like "what's half a million", "a little rich but doesn't really matter", add it all up and up could afford to keep a Hyman. That's why it mattered. Oiler fans would just laugh reading the Dubie garbage here. Dude had no knee one playoffs here, it's kind of relevant.
Yup, even injured ge gave more in the playoffs than the core…….

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

The previous coach tried to enforce systems on the team that would succeed in the playoffs. But that lowers padded stats for the entitled and selfish star players. So they all rumbled to the media and turned Babcock into Hitler overnight. His crimes were things like "yelling" at millionaire adults. But ok. Moving on.

Keefe comes in fully knowing that there will be open rebellion if he doesn't let them play with who they want to play with, and if he enforced systems that won't let them pad their regular season stats.

Like, what is he supposed to do? He doesn't want to be turned into a cartoonish level super villain like they did to Babcock. So he let them pad their stats in the regular season fully knowing it won't go well in the playoffs. He'll get a few years, make a dozen million dollars or so, and then eventually get fired without being turned into Hitler by the media because he catered to the entitled and spoiled core players. It was his only real option.

Weird how as soon as Babcock leaves the team gets more physical and improved in every defensive stat. Babcock’s systems didn’t lead to playoff success in a decade, when he did win with a stacked Detroit team they sure as shit weren’t running a stretch pass obsessed game of shinny like he ran here.

I don’t get this delusion that Babcock preached some sort of low offense defensive grinding game that would hurt their numbers, they got their drastic overpayments you cry about entirely under Babcock’s system.

Where did people get the idea that Mike “the powerplay is my enforcer” Babcock is a gritty defensive mastermind?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Keefe was a problem, Shanahan is still the biggest problem, if he’s not fired, maybe they let him ride out his contract so he can save face and just make sure he has zero to do with hockey decision……
My thoughts exactly!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Leafs probably are wary of any inexperienced coach. Woodcrofts head coaching resume is very limited. He did well with the Oilers for the most part just like Keefe, but it doesn't take a genius to coach that team. But AT LEAST his team lost twice to the cup winners, once in the western finals and then in the 2nd round, then he got let go this season when the Oilers started the season in a disaster.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I probably prefer Woodcroft over Berube. He's a good systems guy like Keefe, but has also shown to motivate guys in the playoffs which Keefe couldn't do.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I look at the Keefe firing as 1 step closer to the firing of Brendan Shanahan. I just hope we can get there before we give out another long-term deal to Marner.

Reactions: Al14

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
I look at the Keefe firing as 1 step closer to the firing of Brendan Shanahan. I just hope we can get there before we give out another long-term deal to Marner.
he's got one more year and thats it
i just hope pelley tells us tomorrow he wont have any say in hockey decisions

Reactions: socko

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Like, what is he supposed to do? He doesn't want to be turned into a cartoonish level super villain like they did to Babcock. So he let them pad their stats in the regular season fully knowing it won't go well in the playoffs. He'll get a few years, make a dozen million dollars or so, and then eventually get fired without being turned into Hitler by the media. It was his only real option.
There is zero evidence to support anything you are saying.

Babcock was doing shit that doesn't fly anymore. Right or wrong, MLSE was going to move on.

Toronto sports teams hate anything controversial, and tend to lean towards popular public opinion.

Babs lasted all of 10 seconds arriving in Nashville by doing the same thing.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The big thing aint that Keefe gets fired. I guess that a new coach decides who they want to work with? And build a new coaching team, or aint that the case in NHL? That would be great thou.

Keefe is a nice dude, but too nice. Wish him the best!

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Roger that……

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
There is zero evidence to support anything you are saying.

Babcock was doing shit that doesn't fly anymore. Right or wrong, MLSE was going to move on.

Toronto sports teams hate anything controversial, and tend to lean towards popular public opinion.

Babs lasted all of 10 seconds arriving in Nashville by doing the same thing.
Columbus but you are right. Complete moron.

Reactions: Kazparov and Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad