Post-Game Talk: Meee-wow!!! Jets tame the kitties, 3-2 OT

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Thats ok, thats what these boards are all about, sharing opinions. When people try and tell me Scheifele is the second coming I get frusterated too, but to each there own ;). I do have to point out that just because Pavs had better stats in previous years, didn't mean he had a better winning %.

I would honestly like to see a post where someone said that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just listened to the Rona Round table and Beyak was the guest and mentioned that when he interviewed Postma and Redmond they were both "quick to point out how well McCambridge had prepared them very well for this opportunity". apparently they both said Keith was very detailed when coaching them on what they needed to work on for the next level.

Have to say after watching Flood last year being our guy “coming up from the system” to fill in and comparing that to watching Redmond and Postma who were both available last season it does make me think that TSNE and the Ice Caps have done their work making sure Postma and Zach were brought along at the right pace and not rushed.

Lots of games left to be played and there will be ups and downs but both these guys are exceeding my expectations at this point......nice to see the farm do its job

edit: props to Atlanta for matching 7th round draft picks in back to back years (2007 and 2008) making it onto the Jets roster and not looking out of place.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I would honestly like to see a post where someone said that.

While people don't use those exact words, it feels like people are implying that Scheifele is a future #1C superstar in the making sometimes. It doesn't bother me, but I can see what he's getting it from.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
While people don't use those exact words, it feels like people are implying that Scheifele is a future #1C superstar in the making sometimes. It doesn't bother me, but I can see what he's getting it from.

I'd even like to see where it was implied.

I know people hope he'll become a 1st line center (as do I), but superstar? Come on, nowhere have I seen anything come close to that.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't think Redmond is that far behind Postma, if much at all myself. Reds had a couple of turnovers last night, but like someone said, he's playing a lot of minutes (and tough ones) for a guy playing his first few games in the show.

PP will for sure not see the Rock again. Even if all things were equal, he has a 1 way deal and would have to go through waivers I believe.

It's nice to see both of these guys play well this "early" in their NHL careers (in terms of games played in the NHL, not age). It would be great if one of them could move to the left. And it would be great if either Bogo or Trouba could move to the left as well. A D corp in say 3 years of:

Enstrom - Buff
Bogo/Trouba - Bogo/Trouba
Reds/Postma - Reds/Postma

would be nice to see.

Not exactly tough minutes... they are being sheltered similarly... Redmond a LITTLE bit less but Noel has almost done the impossible by hiding two pairs and just bending over Enstrom-Hainsey and using them to his whim.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't think anyone here expects Scheifele to be a superstar in the league. We expect him to be a very good center, but he isn't likely to reach the Malkin/Crosby/Sedin/Toews echelon.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

I know people hope he'll become a 1st line center (as do I), but superstar? Come on, nowhere have I seen anything come close to that.

About 90% of the estimates I've seen on here are either one of 3 things:
Bust
3rd liner
and most common: below-avg 1C to above avg 2C (which ironically is what most 3rd party scoutings say now)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Ugh... I really don't want to go searching the forums:laugh:. Superstar may be a bit loosely used here, but I'm sure I've seen people expecting him to take our #1C spot this year, and become an ~80 points player in the future. You sure you haven't seen this?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Agree with Sweech. The most that it seems the majority on here hope for, is that he could become a 1st liner. Most are thinking of a 2C with hopefully 1C upside.

To paint the board and Jets fans as saying Scheifele is a sure fire #1C / superstar is disingenuous.

To me it seems like some people dislike Scheifele and the pick to such an extent, that they want to perpetuate the notion that somehow everyone here thinks he's a future superstar so that they can use every single healthy scratch, mistake, etc, to fire up their computer to make a "I told you so" post.

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree with Sweech. The most that it seems the majority on here hope for, is that he could become a 1st liner. Most are thinking of a 2C with hopefully 1C upside.

To paint the board and Jets fans as saying Scheifele is a sure fire #1C / superstar is disingenuous.

To me it seems like some people dislike Scheifele and the pick to such an extent, that they want to perpetuate the notion that somehow everyone here thinks he's a future superstar so that they can use every single healthy scratch, mistake, etc, to fire up their computer to make a "I told you so" post.

I see lots of people do the same thing about Pavs, Kane, Buff, Toby, Hainsey. Problem is people on this board get crazy if other people dont share their view.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Not what I meant. Not saying that the people who are saying that he'll become our #1C if he only gets the chance, and that he's bound to score 80 points are the majority, or even close to being a big enough group for their voices to be acknowledged. I'm just saying that the people who does this are annoying. I assumed that's what the other guy meant too, but maybe I'm wrong?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Not exactly tough minutes... they are being sheltered similarly... Redmond a LITTLE bit less but Noel has almost done the impossible by hiding two pairs and just bending over Enstrom-Hainsey and using them to his whim.

Thanks Garret9. Should have checked the stats!

I thought he would have had tougher minutes just due to what I thought I was seeing. I thought I saw Reds out in some tougher spots, but averaging out the difficulty to both bottom pairs sounds very reasonable too.

Either way, Postma has looked good and has really gotten better each game. I just think Reds isn't too far behind from what little we've seen so far. Maybe he too will even get a little better once he's a little more comfortable?

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Not what I meant. Not saying that the people who are saying that he'll become our #1C if he only gets the chance, and that he's bound to score 80 points are the majority, or even close to being a big enough group for their voices to be acknowledged. I'm just saying that the people who does this are annoying. I assumed that's what the other guy meant too, but maybe I'm wrong?

I was the other guy you're talking about, and you hit the nail on the head with what I meant, well done :handclap:.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I see lots of people do the same thing about Pavs, Kane, Buff, Toby, Hainsey. Problem is people on this board get crazy if other people dont share their view.

I know people and myself included go crazy when someone wishes to spout an opinion with no factual basis other than it's their opinion. Then ignore any and all evidence to the contrary. :sarcasm:

TroubaFan1

Jul 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I know people and myself included go crazy when someone wishes to spout an opinion with no factual basis other than it's their opinion. Then ignore any and all evidence to the contrary. :sarcasm:

My guess to that would be the "evidence" that is given probably isn't worth commenting on. :p:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

People on every board have heated discussions on their players. It appears that the longest and hottest ones are usually around the players with the greatest extremes. For us that looks at the moment to be guys like Enstrom, Buff, Burmi, and Scheifele.

Sorry Romang67, I wasn't meaning to imply that you were being disingenuous. What I was saying is that from some people try to set up their position by making a factually incorrect and hyperbolic statement, and then use that as a basis to try to prove their "points".

I probably reacted too quickly asking TroubaFan1 (Sorry) to show where someone had said that here because he only mentioned it in a general sense.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't know about that. Wright is 2 years younger, and he is 2 inches taller and 14 lbs heavier. You can't teach size, and him being in the NHL 2 years younger means something as well.

The ship has pretty much sailed on Spencer.

Perhaps, but the thing about Wright is that, unlike Machacek, he has never hinted at any scoring upside at any level. I highly doubt he'll ever be anything more than a passable 4th line grinder in the NHL.

While the ship has probably sailed on Spencer, I do see him having a higher ceiling.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
edit: props to Atlanta for matching 7th round draft picks in back to back years (2007 and 2008) making it onto the Jets roster and not looking out of place.

Totally agree. I was just thinking this.

It's crazy that 4 of our 6 defensemen were all drafted in the 7th round of their respective drafts (Buff and Enstrom in '03, Postma in '07 and Redmond '08)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad