Series Talk: MDSF: (3) Penguins vs. (2) Islanders

So...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It'll be interesting for sure.
They sorta found their defensive stride coming down the stretch but it was mostly without Olli and Dumo-Tang not playing alot together or on the ice together.
Add that with Geno going down + Phil and his struggles + Sid cooling off and/or gearing down and the offense sorta sputtered where they just got enough to win games.

What you'd look for is if they can keep up the team defense with Dumo-Tang in(probably) with the decision on who they sit for Dumo.
Then on offense if they can finally hit their stride or continue to sputter.

I just have no clue how things are gonna go really.
They could finally hit a stride they hadn't hit all season just as much as they could sputter along offensively while things get looser defensively.

We'll just have to wait and see what we get...

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
After watching this team last night I’d say Isles in 6. I wanted NYI but it won’t matter this team is the most inconsistent squad I’ve ever seen. Tons of talent 0 heart.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No Olli Maatta against a team like the Isles

Think they really need the offensive minded guys from the back end just by how the offense sputtered so much coming down the stretch. That goal vs DET where he went down low and found Jake in the slot is the type of stuff we need.
Olli can certainly suck in his own end but he's been trending well with his support of the offense since getting back in.

Had my way with a fully healthy D i'd start him with Tanger for game one.

3-58
8-4
28-44

I'm not sure what they'll actually do.
Lately they've been keeping the 73-4 and 28-44 intact down this whole stretch to end the season here and Olli may just be the one to sit...

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
After watching this team last night I’d say Isles in 6. I wanted NYI but it won’t matter this team is the most inconsistent squad I’ve ever seen. Tons of talent 0 heart.

This team has shown a ton of heart this season, it just has a bit of a problem with OTs, shootouts and short-handed goals and two of these things wouldn't be a problem in the playoffs. Since Murray regained his form we have bounced back immediately almost every time after a loss to get at least a point. With a slight improvement in OTs and shootouts we would have been fourth in the league. Pretty good, considering the injuries, Malkin's inconsistent form, Kessel's five on five play since New Year and Murray's play in the first few months.

We just need to play smart and not push forward too much, the goals will come. Trotz beat us last year thanks to an outstanding Kuznetsov, mediocre Murray and bad Letang. He can still beat us but he doesn't have gamebreakers he had last year, his team has a much worse PP and we now have a third line that we can use without fear against anybody. If Malkin and Kessel get their shit together... I know it will sound arrogant but the Isles will need lots and lots of luck to beat us.

Reactions: Peat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think people are mistaking "heart" for defense awareness. The Pens defense awareness for over a year has been laughable for whatever reason and to me it's not all on coaching. It's a lot of just the players not being focused. It's not heart, because the team has shown they have a ton of heart. It's just defense awareness all over the ice.

- In transitions, they have even numbers but sit back watching instead of having their head on a swivel and finding the trail guy. Or you will have a guy like Sid/Geno take a half-ass swipe in the neutral zone for a gamble instead of just picking up a guy and playing it safe. Phil/Geno are the absolute worst at this.

- In the d-zone, it's been a lot better when we switched to 3 RH/3 LH, but they'll have an easy out and flub it or try to make a east to west pass instead of just taking the simple easy out. Commitment to blocking shots has finally been a thing. It needs to improve next week.

- In the o-zone, our forwards are late on rotating or all 3 get sucked in too deep (especially on Sid's line). We want our defense activated so people look and say "oh man! bad pinch!" but it's really not a bad pinch. Sully wants the defense activated and if our forwards were half paying attention, they easily could have rotated for support. But they stand and watch hoping the puck comes back to them and then start to backcheck when it's a second too late.

So that's the one facet of the game that has been an issue all year and has not been consistent in the least. That's honestly the one area where I feel separates the Pens from being good but not being a Cup contender. And that passiveness on defense awareness is a glaring issue on special teams. It's a small sense of awareness missing.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I just hate how we’ve played this season. We have too many players that have slumped to not question the coaching.

Huge advantage to Trotz over Sullivan, but from a pure talent perspective, we have the upper hand.

I just don’t see Malkin, Horny and Phil suddenly turning on the switch and start playing well. We’ve been a one-line team for far too long. Plus, Murray and the team can’t seem to close out games which could
easily kill us in the playoffs.

I picked Isles in 7 games. I hope I am wrong.
Sullivan is 2-1 in the playoffs against Trotz.

Trotz may be the coach of the year but the difference between the 2 is minor.

Pens have several weaknesses, but the Isles have 1 good player. Pens are likely to be favored in this series despite our flaws.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan is 2-1 in the playoffs against Trotz.

Trotz may be the coach of the year but the difference between the 2 is minor.

Pens have several weaknesses, but the Isles have 1 good player. Pens are likely to be favored in this series despite our flaws.
I doubt the players would tune out Trotz like they seemingly have with Sullivan.

I just don’t want this to become Dan Bylsma 2.0 where many of you give him a free pass for half of a decade because he won cups previously.

This team has been flat for too long.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think people are mistaking "heart" for defense awareness. The Pens defense awareness for over a year has been laughable for whatever reason and to me it's not all on coaching. It's a lot of just the players not being focused. It's not heart, because the team has shown they have a ton of heart. It's just defense awareness all over the ice.

- In transitions, they have even numbers but sit back watching instead of having their head on a swivel and finding the trail guy. Or you will have a guy like Sid/Geno take a half-ass swipe in the neutral zone for a gamble instead of just picking up a guy and playing it safe. Phil/Geno are the absolute worst at this.

- In the d-zone, it's been a lot better when we switched to 3 RH/3 LH, but they'll have an easy out and flub it or try to make a east to west pass instead of just taking the simple easy out. Commitment to blocking shots has finally been a thing. It needs to improve next week.

- In the o-zone, our forwards are late on rotating or all 3 get sucked in too deep (especially on Sid's line). We want our defense activated so people look and say "oh man! bad pinch!" but it's really not a bad pinch. Sully wants the defense activated and if our forwards were half paying attention, they easily could have rotated for support. But they stand and watch hoping the puck comes back to them and then start to backcheck when it's a second too late.

So that's the one facet of the game that has been an issue all year and has not been consistent in the least. That's honestly the one area where I feel separates the Pens from being good but not being a Cup contender. And that passiveness on defense awareness is a glaring issue on special teams. It's a small sense of awareness missing.

See these things are just guys needing to pay more attention and/or getting on their horses.
Thats really where i have no clue what this years PO Pens will turn out to be cuz they have the horses, it's just if they can all hit thier stride or not.

A defense with Dumo-Tang/a good playing Olli/a touch bit better playing Schultz can support alot in the OZ.
A top 9 with L1/L3 currently and if Geno-Phil can contribute without being a total liability on the +/- sheet...
A pp that gets hot.
^Those 3 things come together and they can do some damage and they aren't totally outside of the realm of possibilities.

We'll just have to see what we get...
Hopefully a build/ramping up of things vs the wonkiness that was their season.

Reactions: ColePens

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
I doubt the players would tune out Trotz like they seemingly have with Sullivan.

Seemingly being the operative word here. Remember when the Caps were 2-0 down against Columbus and many people thought Trotz was a joke and his players had tuned him out? I do. I don't understand why we should assume the Pens have tuned out Sully when they have rallied just about every time they have needed a win badly in the second half of the season, beating almost all contenders in the process and improving in all facets of the game. Even in not allowing shorties, the one yesterday was the first one in a while, IIRC. If that's tuning out, I wonder what would have happened if they had listened to Sully, they would have been ahead of Tampa, maybe? ;)

I think people are mistaking "heart" for defense awareness. The Pens defense awareness for over a year has been laughable for whatever reason and to me it's not all on coaching. It's a lot of just the players not being focused. It's not heart, because the team has shown they have a ton of heart.

Exactly. The effort is there, the awareness often isn't. But when their backs are against the wall, the awareness usually returns, this is encouraging.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
They really have like goaltending by committee?

Lehner 25-13-5, .930, 2.13
Greiss 23-14-2, .927. 2.28

Both save %’s and GAA top 5 in the league.

That’s nuts. Who do they even roll with? I guess Lehner, younger and slightly better stats. Those guys get hot, forget it. Hot goalies lead to some issues for the Pens in their L’s down the stretch. That aside, not a super scary team on paper. But scary enough for me - bet it’ll be tougher than the Flyers and their Mickey Mouse goaltending from R1 last year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

That’s nuts. Who do they even roll with? I guess Lehner, younger and slightly better stats. Those guys get hot, forget it. Hot goalies lead to some issues for the Pens in their L’s down the stretch. That aside, not a super scary team on paper. But scary enough for me - bet it’ll be tougher than the Flyers and their Mickey Mouse goaltending from R1 last year.
Luckily Murray is also hot

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Luckily Murray is also hot
Sorta? I knew we’d have this issue with Murray, where people would be so split on him. That’s what happens when you win 2 cups so early in your career but aren’t as seasoned in the trials and tribulations of being the #1 guy in a full regular season.

Not that I don’t trust in/believe in Murray. It’s playoff time.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
McCann and Crosby work so well together. The first line will be impossible to stop for the Isles.

Rust-Malkin-Kessel will be a nice line, like they were against the Blue Jackets in the 2017 Cup run (after which they were inexplicably broken up).

Should be a good series with the Pens getting a stranglehold after games 3 and 4 in Pittsburgh.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
TBH it's all gravy from here. We never sorted out any of our issues that we had all year, I expect more of our usual play and unless we get lucky like 2017 it's not going to take us further than Washington. Our top end probably gets us through this series but I wouldn't be surprised if we got mostly outplayed in spite of that.

What? Picked up two solid depth D-Men (EG, MP), picked up a solid 3C and quality winger who has score, in Bjugstad and McCann, found some talent in WBS (Bleuger). Your point has little merit.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Yea, because last night, a near meaningless game was SO important! You need to take those deep breaths I've suggested.

Reactions: Peat

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sorta? I knew we’d have this issue with Murray, where people would be so split on him. That’s what happens when you win 2 cups so early in your career but aren’t as seasoned in the trials and tribulations of being the #1 guy in a full regular season.

Not that I don’t trust in/believe in Murray. It’s playoff time.
Well he's ahead of both Isles goalies in SV% and GAA since the trade deadline. And he's right on their tails since Dec 15 when he came back from his injury.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Well he's ahead of both Isles goalies in SV% and GAA since the trade deadline. And he's right on their tails since Dec 15 when he came back from his injury.
Season series is split, 2-2. But haven’t played since December. Definitely gonna be a different (and I imagine better) Pens team.

Reactions: Lustaf

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Yea, because last night, a near meaningless game was SO important! You need to take those deep breaths I've suggested.

Near meaningless? A loss in regulation would have had dropped us to a wild card matchup with Washington. Plus we still had a shot at home ice. The fact that a Rangers team with AHL players beat us is far from encouraging heading into the playoffs

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Just keep playing the wrong one. Tandem didnt work for the Blues a few years ago(when Allen and Elliott were 2 of the best). Whoever starts might be looking over his shoulder. Not wanting to give that spot up.

Could see some games where theres bad goaltending. But agree with whoever said it will be like the Sens series.

We are also on the road...cant see the Pens overlooking them. With how they played against the Rangers tho it looked like they wanted the Caps instead.

I would have rather had that too. Round 1 they start off like its the Cup. No way wanting to lose to them Again. And round 2...winner of Isles - Canes would be more nervous. First round They are playing with house money just happy to make it.

Tho we do get some time for Geno to pick up his game before facing the Caps. Ill be happy if Kessel just isn't a liability and scores once in awhile. Mainly not bringing Rust/Malkin down. That duo needs to get going.

And we have been in this situation plenty of times now. They know what to do.

Just went thru a stretch where goals were hard to come by, we'll see if that helped them prepare for this series.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad