So...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m hoping for some playoff hockey. Pens will probably give us a lot of play-oofs instead.

We’ll take it in the end, though. Crosby, time to feast! One point out from sole possession for 10th all time in playoff scoring. Three more to get to 8th. Two more to get to 7th. Six more for 6th. Five more for 5th. We won’t be coming back each year for forever. I hope he keeps moving up quickly while we can!

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I’d love to see him coach the Isles’ roster compared to the stacked Pens’ teams of 2016 and 2017.

Our team has played flat for 2 years. How long will sully get a free pass? I don’t want to sabotage this thread. We agree to disagree.

Go Pens
If he was getting the insane goaltending Trotz has gotten this year? He'd be fine.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I’m hoping for some playoff hockey. Pens will probably give us a lot of play-oofs instead.

We’ll take it in the end, though. Crosby, time to feast! One point out from sole possession for 10th all time in playoff scoring. Three more to get to 8th. Two more to get to 7th. Six more for 6th. Five more for 5th. We won’t be coming back each year for forever. I hope he keeps moving up quickly while we can!

You can take it in your end.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
I have no confidence that the Pens will take the series. The Islanders are younger, faster, and because they are playing with house money -- probably looser. (and from the few games I've watched, they may even be more defensively sound)

That said, Pens in 6.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I suspect this will look a lot like the Pens-Sens series from a couple yrs ago, with the difference being the Isles will try that whole forecheck thing.

Yeah, I can see the Pens (and us, the fans) getting frustrated by being unable to score against a stingy defense.

The series will come down to whether or not our stars can break through and find their offensive touch all at the same time. Particularly line 2.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I have no confidence that the Pens will take the series. The Islanders are younger, faster, and because they are playing with house money -- probably looser. (and from the few games I've watched, they may even be more defensively sound)

That said, Pens in 6.

Younger doesn't always mean composure though (especially in the playoffs). They haven't faced adversity yet but they definitely have a bright future. Pens in 7

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Game 1 lines hoping Dumo plays

McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Blueger- Cullen - Wilson/Johnson (ZAR when healthy)

Dumoulin - Letang
Johnson - Schultz
Petterson - Gudbranson
Maatta

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gotta think if ZAR gets healthy he dresses over Wilson.
Both are the extra PK'er and ZAR's more likely to produce.
I think they've grown to like Bluegs alot in his own zone.
Has combined for a couple shorties too coming down the stretch.
He won't be sitting.

Reactions: Son Goku

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
One thing of note is PIT has really clamped down things more in their own end even with these several blown leads here and there.
That is from when we last played Trotz's Isles.
NYI are the best team in the league on the season with 2.33GAA.
Since the trade deadline PIT is 2.315GAA. Probably one of the tops in the league.
Alot of that has to do with MP-Guds forming a solid shutdown pair.
And it was done with alot of games without the top pair playing. Dumo came back for some time while Tanger bowed back out then Dumo again with Letang getting 2 games in to end it.

ETA: NYI are 2.380GAA in that same time span.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

That said, Pens in 6.

I don't think the Isles are all that fast. They have a few great skaters like Barzal. But they have plenty of plodders too.

For that reason I think it's a good matchup for us. Really speedy teams like Canes/Leafs can almost be tougher for us in some ways since we can't play our preferred style of game against them as easily.

Reactions: Aiastelmon

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
One thing of note is PIT has really clamped down things more in their own end even with these several blown leads here and there.
That is from when we last played Trotz's Isles.
NYI are the best team in the league on the season with 2.33GAA.
Since the trade deadline PIT is 2.315GAA. Probably one of the tops in the league.
Alot of that has to do with MP-Guds forming a solid shutdown pair.
And it was done with alot of games without the top pair playing. Dumo came back for some time while Tanger bowed back out then Dumo again with Letang getting 2 games in to end it.

ETA: NYI are 2.380GAA in that same time span.

Yeah, I have a feeling that, regardless what the teams do in front, this is a series that is going to come down to goaltending.

Both teams are trying to play a team defense game.

It will just be, can Murray use his experience of 44 playoff games to good effect vs the combined 14 games of Lehner/Greiss?

...yes I get that the team that allows less goals and has a stronger goalie wins duh, BUT, you know what I mean. There is gonna be a lot of pressure on NYI to perform.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
TBH it's all gravy from here. We never sorted out any of our issues that we had all year, I expect more of our usual play and unless we get lucky like 2017 it's not going to take us further than Washington. Our top end probably gets us through this series but I wouldn't be surprised if we got mostly outplayed in spite of that.

Reactions: BHD

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I just hate how we’ve played this season. We have too many players that have slumped to not question the coaching.

Huge advantage to Trotz over Sullivan, but from a pure talent perspective, we have the upper hand.

I just don’t see Malkin, Horny and Phil suddenly turning on the switch and start playing well. We’ve been a one-line team for far too long. Plus, Murray and the team can’t seem to close out games which could
easily kill us in the playoffs.

I picked Isles in 7 games. I hope I am wrong.

Pens X picking Pens to lose?

Shocked..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad