Mcdavids or Crosby, first 3 seasons

Who’s first 3 seasons we’re more impressive

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Crosby 2005-2008: 294 points - 3rd in points during this time span, 14% behind #1 (Thornton), 8.5% ahead of #10
McDavid 2015-2018: 251 points - 3rd in points during this time span, 7% behind #1 (Kane), 14% ahead of #10

Given that McDavid played a few games less, looks like advantage McDavid

Crosby 2005-2008: 1.38 ppg - 1st in ppg, 0.7% ahead of #2 (Thornton), 16.8% ahead of #10
McDavid 2015-2018: 1.22 ppg - 1st in ppg, 5.2% ahead of #2 (Malkin), 16.4% ahead of #10

Looks like slight edge McDavid

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Don’t know how you came to that conclusion...

Comparison to the field, larger lead over the next-best guy and the typical star (#10):
Crosby 2005-2008: 1.38 ppg - 1st in ppg, 0.7% ahead of #2 (Thornton), 16.8% ahead of #10
McDavid 2015-2018: 1.22 ppg - 1st in ppg, 5.2% ahead of #2 (Malkin), 16.4% ahead of #10

Now do playoff numbers too

Useless, small sample for both, especially McDavid.

Reactions: Future GOAT

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
Because 09 has been getting brought up.....

But he wasn’t was he? So in the end that point is dead and buried. Does it matter? He plays with a generational talent and one of the best playoff performers in the game today. It’s silly to try to suggest or dance around that, in the end, Malkin was just as impactful as Crosby his first 3 seasons, but Crosby doesn’t have any playoff success without him. Talk to me when McDavid gets that kind of support.

Sykora and Whitney were past their primes, but still decent. They weren’t wet behind the years when it came to the playoffs, my point was that they were still in many better than most of the Oilers team, and that says something.

Hossa was 2nd in points and first in goals in the 08 post season, and yes Letang didn’t started gaining ground as a player until later, but he was still a good defenseman in 09.

I think your over exaggerating the amount of people that really thought they would win. Because a lot of people were calling for a stanley cup right away with Crosby? I remember 07, they most definitely weren’t supposed to simply be bounced in the 1st round. In the end the Oilers over achieved and fell back to earth, the difference is that McDavid remained consistent, while the rest of the team didn’t.

Of course it’s a debate. The only reason why it wouldn’t be is due to better playoff success, which is directly due to him having a better supporting cast. Player to player, it’s close....and Crosby definitely doesn’t just walk away ahead. You can’t compare their playoff success to the individuals.

drai was a top scorer last year,and he is paid like one so he does have that support

vegas had the oilers as a favorite, and vegas is not biased like a lot of fans around here that had them winning it, and there were a lot of them

reading the history forum they talk like the senators back then were a powerhouse, so maybe the pens were supposed to lose to them

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Threatened Crosby fans will grasp onto that straw as long as they can even though it's a very small sample size. It's all they have since McDavid has been better than Crosby in the last 2 consecutive regular seasons a massive sample size and even though Crosby has had similar performances like that multiple times in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Threatened Crosby fans will grasp onto that straw as long as they can even though it's a very small sample size. It's all they have since McDavid has been better than Crosby in the last 2 consecutive regular seasons and even though Crosby has had similar performances like that multiple times in the playoffs.

Crosby > McDavid in 2017.

Reactions: Turin and TMLeafs17

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Comparison to the field, larger lead over the next-best guy and the typical star (#10):

Given that Crosby has more games as a less productive rookie vs. McDavid having more games as a more productive 3 year player, this not should go to Crosby.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

I can their raw playoff numbers in first three seasons be samples? Do understand the concept of what a sample is. It's pretty black and white who has the better playoff resume. It's a joke that this is even contemplated being overlooked. What the hell do you play the games for if it's not win championships.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I guess we should also overlook McDavid's regular season #'s too because, you know, it's just a sample....

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
How am I discrediting McDavid? Sorry if pointing out he was 3rd on team in playoff scoring is a trigger for you but it's not discrediting.

People are tired to have the same “best player in the world”...

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Basically it works out like this, McDavid better than Crosby over a massive sample size, and Crosby better than McDavid over a very small sample size.

It is what it is, spin it however you need to, to bring McDavid down to your favorite players level so you can sleep at night.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Basically it works out like this, McDavid better than Crosby over a massive sample size, and Crosby better than McDavid over a very small sample size.

It is what it is, spin it however you need to to bring McDavid down to your favorite players level so you can sleep at night.

Wrong, McDavid was not better in the regular season either.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You know that Crosby actually didn't do that in his first three seasons right? But that's a hell of point you have made there.
Crosby has finished behind his teammates before though, so what’s your point? Or does Crosby carrry his team every post season, and guys like Malkin(who you claim is on a Draisaitl level :laugh:) is just another good player lucky to be graced with Crosby’s talent?

Crosby doesn’t make the finals any year without Malkin....who does McDavid have that can match that? No one. So McDavid finished 3rd on his team in scoring his ONLY year.....is that really your only evidence to Crosby being greater?

Keep ignoring the talent surrounding Crosby, totally doesn’t make you look bias as usual,
How are Connor’s regular seasons better? Crosby outpaced McDavid in his third year but only played 53 games, it’s not fair, he didn’t play the games. Right?
is our pacing the same as finishing the season at the top? Last time I checked that’s not the case.

McDavid is already making his legacy with back to back scoring titles and possibly back to back Harts.....something Crosby has never done. He will already have Crosby’s scoring titles matched by his 3rd year. Injuries aside, part of the game is playing and being valuable to your team.
drai was a top scorer last year,and he is paid like one so he does have that support

vegas had the oilers as a favorite, and vegas is not biased like a lot of fans around here that had them winning it, and there were a lot of them

reading the history forum they talk like the senators back then were a powerhouse, so maybe the pens were supposed to lose to them
He’s still no Evgeni Malkin.

And again, it all blew up in their faces. The oilers made bad moves, their defense is not strong, their scoring depth is relatively weak, while their goaltending is shaky. The fact that McDavid is carrying this team and they are still not winning shows the every weakness the oilers have.
32 points in 25 games for a 19-20 year old in the playoffs is extremely impressive
Why is it McDavids fault that the oilers haven’t made it far in the playoffs and are out of the playoff picture? This puzzles me. All while your giving praise to Crosby for his teams playoff success in his early years.

Reactions: Future GOAT

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
The guy who won the Art Ross and Hart wasn’t better? Interesting......

Crosby also missed 7 games last season and was on pace for 97... pretty close.

And then put up 27 points in 24 playoff games to win the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. No big deal.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
is our pacing the same as finishing the season at the top? Last time I checked that’s not the case.

McDavid is already making his legacy with back to back scoring titles and possibly back to back Harts.....something Crosby has never done. He will already have Crosby’s scoring titles matched by his 3rd year. Injuries aside, part of the game is playing and being valuable to your team.

Ok, and you know that the only reason Crosby didn’t do that multiple times is injury. Is it Crosby’s fault Brooks Orpik destroyed his face? It is the same logic you are using. How are you not seeing this? You cannot in one sentence say that playoff games don’t count for McDavid because he didn’t make it so it’s not fair, and then say Crosby’s pace is meaningless because he didn’t play the games. It’s not McDavid’s fault he only has 13 playoff games and it’s not Crosby’s fault he only had __ regular season games. Or it is. Pick one.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby also missed 7 games last season and was on pace for 97... pretty close.

And then put up 27 points in 24 playoff games to win the Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. No big deal.

Also won the Rocket, which a lot of people cared about when comparing Sid to OV.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The guy who won the Art Ross and Hart wasn’t better? Interesting......

I thought we were comparing 3 years, not this year. I guess McDavid’s rookie season is better than Crosby’s even though the raw total standard is being used to say McDavid was better in his third. Classic. So I ask again, was it the nutpunch or glovewhack that made you dishonest?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I thought we were comparing 3 years, not this year. I guess McDavid’s rookie season is better than Crosby’s even though the raw total standard is being used to say McDavid was better in his third. Classic. So I ask again, was it the nutpunch or glovewhack that made you dishonest?
Isn't this year part of McDavid's first 3?........ That you daver? seems you're circular arguing yourself dizzy again, forgot which account you were on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad