Post-Game Talk: McDavid hated that goal

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Skinner settled down good. Was fighting the pucka bit but making the stops.

Nice time for McD to score a goal.

Hyman with another key game.

Blues weren't really that good in this game. Oilers should have won in regulation I felt. Blues bag a point but look to have lost their playoff possibility. I think we see the Blues dive out now. They need 2 pts basically every night.
There are more than a few Blues players who would look good in Oiler silks.

Reactions: Stoneman89

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Are we ever going to know why the refs just decided that Kane wasn’t bleeding even though there was obviously blood?
I just took a look at the refs official handbook. It goes like this:

1. High sticking infraction. Check if player is bleeding.
2. If bleeding player is from a Sunbelt team, they willl receive a 4 min PP.
3. If bleeding player is from a Canadian team, and the offending team is also a Canadian team, we really don't care, make whatever call you want.
4. If the bleeding player is from a Canadian team, and the offending team is a Sunbelt team, or a random US team, for optics sake we have to give the Cdn team a 2 minute PP. But warn the Cdn team player that if he bleeds again in the future, he will face league discipline. Apologize to the Sunbelt team, and mention it is out of your control, buy you will make it up to them at some point before the nights out.

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
McDAVID EXTENDS MULTI-ASSIST STREAK, SCORES OVERTIME WINNER
Connor McDavid
(1-2—3) extended his multi-assist streak to six games before scoring his 16th career overtime tally to snap a 10-game goalless stretch and help Edmonton (35-20-2, 72 points) move within one point of idle Vegas (33-19-7, 73 points) for second place in the Pacific Division. Zach Hyman (2-0—2) benefited from the McDavid assists by scoring twice in regulation to extend his goal streak to a career-best six games and reach the 40-goal mark for the first time.

* McDavid’s first helper pushed his home point streak to 24 games dating to Nov. 4, the second-longest such run by any player this season behind only Nathan MacKinnon (29 GP; active). McDavid’s streak marks the fourth longest in franchise history behind three stretches by Wayne Gretzky (33 GP in 1985-86, 28 GP in 1979-80 & 25 GP in 1981-82).

* Despite scoring a goal for the first time since Feb. 6, McDavid is likely to finish as the League leader in points for the month of February after collecting 2-25—27 across 12 games - the next-closest players are eight points back.

* McDavid became the first player with at least 25 assists in a calendar month since Mario Lemieux in December 1992 (28 in 12 GP) and the second player in League history to achieve the feat in February after Wayne Gretzky did so in both 1986 (26 in 11 GP) and 1991 (25 in 14 GP).
McDavidAssistStreak_Feb29-28115634.png

sauce: https://media.nhl.com/public/news/17773

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The only guess you could come up with, eh?

Couldn't possibly think of any other reason, hmmm? ;)

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
McDavid is on track to be #1 all time in Oilers GWG by next year. I thought he could do it this year, and there is a small chance he could tie or break the record, but with a down year in scoring goals it's not likely.

Glenn Anderson holds the record at 72.
McDavid now has 67.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Gave him props for tonight. Just doesn't happen a lot. He actually helped in this one and you can say we won because of him
Uhh... Actually it does happen a lot.

Over the past two seasons, Skinner is 56 - 27 - 7, with a .910.

For perspective, this is a goalie in his 2nd full season who was supposed to be the back-up right now.

Since Nov. 11th, Skinner is 26 - 8 - 1 (the "winningest" goalie in the League), with a .914. (His .914 is the 7th best in the League over that time of 29 goalies with 25 or more games.)

Over the past 3.5 months, Skinner has more wins and a better save percentage than Swayman, Shesterkin, Demko, Binnington, Georgiev... and Vasilevsky, who, now that Tampa is coming down to earth, is being exposed as a very average goalie (which he always was, in my opinion).

As I've said a few times before, some of you just have incredibly unrealistic expectations of goalies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So many saying huge game by Skinner?

I’m sorry but he did exactly what he should have done this game. He finished right at the expected goals.

Goaltenders make saves, most make multiple every night, I know that’s foreign for us oiler fans watching Skinner but it’s what goalies do.

That is not setting the bar high saving what you should.
Jesus Christ dude. Skinner could cure cancer and you’d call him out for not doing it fast enough.

He puts up back to back .940+ games and that’s still not enough for you. Give it a rest.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hopefully Buchnevich is sticking around to scout out apartments
I have no idea why STL would entertain moving him. Now if those soft rumblings of Tkachuk wanting out of Ottawa are true, then ya I get trading him in a package for a guy like that.

They have so many more guys they should be looking to move before moving him.

I don't even know if we'd have the pieces to make a deal work. They'd probably have to really like Holloway and Broberg, and even then I doubt that is enough.

Essentially hope to hell you win the opening draw and score is the plan to go with other than that I have no idea how you stop him. Well legally that is

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Skinner went from poo to unreal.
Honestly, the first two goals weren't even that bad. It's just that everybody is so on edge about Skinner (including myself) that every goal is his fault in the heat of the moment. Maybe the Thomas shot could have been stopped but that was a bullet and he had very little chance on the Buchnevich goal, that was piss poor D coverage and the play happened fast.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly, the first two goals weren't even that bad. It's just that everybody is so on edge about Skinner (including myself) that every goal is his fault in the heat of the moment. Maybe the Thomas shot could have been stopped but that was a bullet and he had very little chance on the Buchnevich goal, that was piss poor D coverage and the play happened fast.
That Thomas shot was picked clean like Bouchard does. Those are tough ones to stop for any goalie.

Skinner did his job and then some last night. Made some big saves at crucial points of the game.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad