Post-Game Talk: McDavid hated that goal

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Maybe.
Nurse is his own worst enemy at times. Ceci sure didnt force him to skate with a Vegas forward all the way from the net front to outside the blueline in last years playoffs.
That kind of decision making isnt an isolated incident either. He just doesnt read situations very well at times.
Nurse wanders and he does that of his own accord.
Its really telling when a $9.25M dman needs an upgrade to make him better...instead of him making his D partner better but the reality is that Nurse needs an Ekholm type player to make him a better player. For any team thats a problem but for a contending team with cap issues its an even bigger problem.

I'm with you on those faults, the scrambling is a problem for sure in the macro picture.

However, over the last 2-3 weeks I'm often seeing the scramble kicked off by Ceci either pinching like an idiot, having zero idea where to be defending around the net, botching a simple breakout pass, or all of the above. When this happens it's always Nurse trying to bust his ass to cover off whichever f*** up just occurred and sometimes it isn't pretty to the eye even if he's not really doing anything wrong.

Nurse having a D partner that simply knows when to pinch and where to be when the puck is behind the net would probably cut out his need to scramble by 50% at least compared to now.

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
That Thomas shot was picked clean like Bouchard does. Those are tough ones to stop for any goalie.

Skinner did his job and then some last night. Made some big saves at crucial points of the game.

If it's a bar-down type of goal I'm typically more inclined to give player credit for picking a great spot. That was a laser beam of a shot.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Kane is just invisible again. Guy doesn't score for a month, then he gets a hat trick, and then he's back to doing nothing again. Blues were picking pucks from him all night. Kane was like a cooler on that line. Hopefully he's saving it for playoffs as this is not a good performance. He's just there.
Disagree. Kane worked hard tonight. That line Kane Rnh Janmark may be a keeper. Maybe switch Janmark with Foegele or Holloway for a whole game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Disagree. Kane worked hard tonight. That line Kane Rnh Janmark may be a keeper. Maybe switch Janmark with Foegele or Holloway for a whole game.
I thought Nuge was great in the game and that Janmark has been strong lately. Kane has not been and was fumbling pucks all over and making misplays. The plays tended to end with Kane.

Kane is an example on this club of a player that is inconsistent and brings his peak play when the mood moves him. He's immensely talented and can dominate games, or disappear.

To wit in 25GP this year Kane has scored a goal in only 4 of them. Oddly when Kane does get untracked he often scores multiple goals. This year he's had a hatrick, a 2 goal game, could single goal games and 21 where he hasn't been on the scoreboard. For a guy that is an elite level allstar player.

Worse, no one line or center have been able to breath life into Kane. He's been with McD, with, Drai, with both, with Nuge etc. At this same time the player with a heart, Hyman is flying having the greatest success of his career playing with the same players.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I thought Nuge was great in the game and that Janmark has been strong lately. Kane has not been and was fumbling pucks all over and making misplays. The plays tended to end with Kane.

Kane is an example on this club of a player that is inconsistent and brings his peak play when the mood moves him. He's immensely talented and can dominate games, or disappear.

To wit in 25GP this year Kane has scored a goal in only 4 of them. Oddly when Kane does get untracked he often scores multiple goals. This year he's had a hatrick, a 2 goal game, could single goal games and 21 where he hasn't been on the scoreboard. For a guy that is an elite level allstar player.

Worse, no one line or center have been able to breath life into Kane. He's been with McD, with, Drai, with both, with Nuge etc. At this same time the player with a heart, Hyman is flying having the greatest success of his career playing with the same players.
I don’t know I thought Nuge was putting passes in his feet all night. Nuge was playing well away from the puck but I thought he struggled moving the puck all night. He did pick up a point on the pp I think but I didn’t think he was feeling it with the puck on his stick at all.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Notice both D (especially Bouchard) didn't even try to catch up and nuge blew past both to make the highlight reel backcheck. Not that they could have caught but at least show effort.

Reactions: Biltmore and TB12

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Holloway looked great on the 2nd line in his limited minutes there.

Skinner looks like he’s rebounding back into Streak Skinner.

The hot chicken wings at Rogers were a huge disappointment. “Rogers” style hot sauce isn’t very good. Need to bring my own Franks Red Hot next time. Or get @Bobieque to make me a batch and sneak them in next game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Zach Hyman is an absolute beauty. Such a classy guy. By the time he is done he will be one of my favorite all-time Oilers. Hopefully there is a place for him in the organization after he is done.
Its quite possible he's the most saint like player ever in the history of this org. I'm not religious, just spiritual and Zach is an example to us all. he gets my entire respect as player and person.

Like I said a couple days ago I will never forget this player.

He'd also get lots of diving penalties if he played for us.

Hes a clown, keep him away
Which one? Bush or Sundwich;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There are more than a few Blues players who would look good in Oiler silks.
Blues are a pretty decent team. They were playing 2nd game in 2 nights, and I know that's been used as an excuse around this parts when it happens to our team. Not sure if they'll make the playoffs, as they are in tough against a surging Calgary squad (they need to move more players, lol), a tough Nashville unit, a very good Minny team, and an LA team that's built up a lead on everyone.
Not sure how someone can crap on the Blues a whole lot when they clobbered us one game and took us to OT at home in their 2nd of back to backs.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Jesus Christ dude. Skinner could cure cancer and you’d call him out for not doing it fast enough.

He puts up back to back .940+ games and that’s still not enough for you. Give it a rest.
He'd whine and complain if he wasn't hung with a new rope.

Thomas also had all day to walk in and pick his spot. The defenders should have challenged him.
Nurse tried. By turning to the side and holding his stick lamely out, hoping the puck might hit it.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Nurse was moving towards Ceci a lot to unnecessarily cover for or help him. Was quite noticeable all game. Second goal for example.

The worry is taking Nurse off his game.
That second goal was ceci moving towards nurse, not the other way

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agree with you. I thought Kane was fine. That whole line was pretty good as well. No scoring, but there wasn't a lot of that from anyone other than McDavid and Hyman.

Reactions: RegDunlop

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm with you on those faults, the scrambling is a problem for sure in the macro picture.

However, over the last 2-3 weeks I'm often seeing the scramble kicked off by Ceci either pinching like an idiot, having zero idea where to be defending around the net, botching a simple breakout pass, or all of the above. When this happens it's always Nurse trying to bust his ass to cover off whichever f*** up just occurred and sometimes it isn't pretty to the eye even if he's not really doing anything wrong.

Nurse having a D partner that simply knows when to pinch and where to be when the puck is behind the net would probably cut out his need to scramble by 50% at least compared to now.
I think that some of Nurses faults/mistakes have been atributed to Ceci. There have been so many times this season where Nurse has made a bad decision I stopped posting about it.
Too much work.
Its very difficult to play with a dman that wanders. Especially for a player that is being paid like a 4/5 dman who is expected to be a 2/3 dman. Now I am not saying that Ceci is without faults...he most definitly makes bad reads. The thing is that Nurse is being paid to be a #1 dman. With that comes a requirement to be a player that can be relied upon. A player that can help compensate for a lesser player (Ceci).
Nurse doesnt do that.
Just consider how Ekholm was not only able to compensate for Bouchard defensive deficiencies but he actully made Bouchard a better player. His impact has been so impressive that the Bouchbard/Ekholm pairing now eats up a substantial amount of tough minutes.
Nurse for me is what he is and he will never out perfrom his contract. I am not advocating for trading Nurse but his albatross contract absolutely negatively affects this team.
I think trading Ceci is inevitable and I also think that unless Holland replaces him with a legit 2/3 dman then the Nurse/? pairing will be no better than it is now and thats on Nurse IMO.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think that some of Nurses faults/mistakes have been atributed to Ceci. There have been so many times this season where Nurse has made a bad decision I stopped posting about it.
Too much work.
Its very difficult to play with a dman that wanders. Especially for a player that is being paid like a 4/5 dman who is expected to be a 2/3 dman. Now I am not saying that Ceci is without faults...he most definitly makes bad reads. The thing is that Nurse is being paid to be a #1 dman. With that comes a requirement to be a player that can be relied upon. A player that can help compensate for a lesser player (Ceci).
Nurse doesnt do that.
Just consider how Ekholm was not only able to compensate for Bouchard defensive deficiencies but he actully made Bouchard a better player. His impact has been so impressive that the Bouchbard/Ekholm pairing now eats up a substantial amount of tough minutes.
Nurse for me is what he is and he will never out perfrom his contract. I am not advocating for trading Nurse but his albatross contract absolutely negatively affects this team.
I think trading Ceci is inevitable and I also think that unless Holland replaces him with a legit 2/3 dman then the Nurse/? pairing will be no better than it is now and thats on Nurse IMO.

I don't disagree in theory, I just think that in this case Ceci is playing so poorly and is creating so many problems that its at the point where expecting Nurse to cover all that off is unreasonable.

During the streak that pair was more than fine and Nurse was considered to be playing great hockey. I don't perceive much of a change in Nurse's game compared to then, but with Ceci he's currently playing at about a 1GA/game average that are 100% his fault.

Reactions: PULSATING

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3