Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PernellsWhiteAmi

Long Live Chappelle
Oct 24, 2009
Vermont/Montreal
Wow, weird to think all the fans were turning on him after a disappointing season last year. He seems Nick Bjugstad-esque and I can see McCarron falling into the same mold as Bjug.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
He's like a Lucic, but with hands and without the derp.

Can we keep him? :laugh:

It took him a bit of time to adjust to his new team, and now he's back to almost PPG with them despite a slower start. Guy can adjust and learn quickly, I find it impressive. He also strikes me as intelligent and driven. He's SO much more than the usual MOARBIG player. But he's also veryvery MOARBIG.

I was very meh at the selection at the draft, but now I really gotta say I should let good 'ol Timmins do his thing!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Hard not to get excited about his potential.

His size alone would be great in the lineup, add the potential and it is nice to see. I am remaining cautious but I really hope he becomes a key player for the Habs within the next couple of seasons.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Wow, weird to think all the fans were turning on him after a disappointing season last year. He seems Nick Bjugstad-esque and I can see McCarron falling into the same mold as Bjug.

Nah, not all of the fans. The usual suspects over here for sure, but experienced posters have learned to be patient with prospects. McCarron was a project from the start so it's great to read such report. He'll be needed going forward.

Oct 22, 2012
He said the right things last spring about having to improve, and he has improved dramatically. He's saying the right things again now, about what he needs to work on to be a successful pro, I'm confident he'll achieve his fitness goals and compete for a roster spot next training camp.

That's another thing I noticed about him that isn't talked about. For a young guy he has a pretty level head. When he sucked, he said he sucked. He didn't feel bad for himself or expect pity. Instead he worked his ass off to cut some weight and condition himself for a longer season. That's what I like seeing in prospects, not falling to adversity, but learning from it and using it to make yourself better.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
His size alone would be great in the lineup, add the potential and it is nice to see. I am remaining cautious but I really hope he becomes a key player for the Habs within the next couple of seasons.
Cautious about what? I'm sure you're not gonna fall into full out depression if he only ends up being a 3rd liner. It's ok to think of McCaron as a top 6, he's got size, skill and the demeanour to become one, I'm thinking you will be pleasantly surprised when you see how this guy will or could dominate at the next level

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So what they're saying is this 19 years old is NOT a bust??? I don't get it. So many posters here said he was after his first year. So hard to know who to believe.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Habs still need to be patient with a player his size, it will take tim for him to get used to the AHL and the NHL game but he's looking very solid.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
HabsWorld.net ‏@habsworld_net 9m9 minutes ago
Oshawa's coach on #Habs McCarron: "He’s about as close to a can’t-miss NHL player that I’ve seen when it comes to size, strength, & ability"

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

all the fans?

No, some of us have common sense and patience

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
all the fans?

No, some of us have common sense and patience

The fans that shat on this guy last year are the same ones that sell low and buy high, I'm just glad they're not in charge of the red nuke lauch buttom

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
So happy he's figured it out this season.

This team is going to be a serious contender very, very soon. (we already are IMO, but not yet in the category of CHI/LA)

Up front:
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk
Scherbak-McCarron

Not to mention Gallagher.

On defence:
Beaulieu-Subban

and of course in net...

Great great great time to be a Habs fan

eastcoast72

Sep 19, 2011
Oshawa's coach on #Habs McCarron: "He’s about as close to a can’t-miss NHL player that I’ve seen when it comes to size, strength, & ability"

That's what the Gen's coaches and NHL scouts also said about Tyler Biggs, another big man first rounder.They hype their size and strength but then refer to their speed and hands "as something they need to work on". If you can't skate and lack hands, why waste a 1st round pick ?

You can't teach "good hands" and a player's speed can only increase marginally at best between 18 and 23....especially the big bodies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

Booyah!.gif

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
That's what the Gen's coaches and NHL scouts also said about Tyler Biggs, another big man first rounder.They hype their size and strength but then refer to their speed and hands "as something they need to work on". If you can't skate and lack hands, why waste a 1st round pick ?

You can't teach "good hands" and a player's speed can only increase marginally at best between 18 and 23....especially the big bodies.

If memory serves, Biggs' problems were foot speed and hockey IQ. I don't think McCarron is lacking in either department. He's no speedster, but scout after after scout has remarked on how well he skates for a man his size.
There are no guarantees that Mike will excel at the pro level, but I'd say his work ethic, mobility and smarts give him the edge over guys like Biggs.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Oshawa Generals coach said "ONCE HE REFINES HIS SKILLS, he'll be a prototypical PF" and "he just has to have a little more scoring touch around the net and he'll start to score, I THINK...."
I think that's a far cry from a carbon copy of what he said about McCarron

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
really liked his pre-season game against the bRuins
too bad he tried to kill the goal post
;)

he's gonna be a huge part of our future

I truly, deeply HATE the fact while watching these clips I was singing Mylie Cyrus' "wrecking ball." Day now ruined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The first clip is orgasmic as a Montreal fan.

What's better than bowling for bruins!?

Can't wait for him to inject himself into our line up. Add DSP, Tinordi, Pateryn, Emelin etc and we have a much much more physical team with a lot more skills up front (Galchenyuk, Scherbak, Hudon etc).

It's going to be a VERY fun next 5 years as a Habs fan.

Cheers to great management! :handclap::yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad