Prospect Info: McCarron Thread Part III - A true scotsman never bust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
He's a bloody Irishman..take it from a fellow McC.

Tuned in to TSN1200's pregame show yesterday when they interviewed Oshawa's head coach and asked him who has been his best player. He talked about a couple of players, including MDC, but concluded with McCarron, and heaped hefty praise..essentially saying he can score, fight, skate, win faceoffs, be a physical force...basically can do everything required to help his club win hockey games.

Does he have any flaw? I mean, it looks like he can do everything and in all situation they put him he's doing great.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

PricePkPatch*

I just wanted to make a joke with the "a true scotsman..." Expression..

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
We'll see if he can deal with ALL situations once he plays to the right of DD. :naughty:

-221776_ORIGINAL.jpg

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Tuned in to TSN1200's pregame show yesterday when they interviewed Oshawa's head coach and asked him who has been his best player. He talked about a couple of players, including MDC, but concluded with McCarron, and heaped hefty praise..essentially saying he can score, fight, skate, win faceoffs, be a physical force...basically can do everything required to help his club win hockey games.
DJ Smith has been very vocal on numerous occasions about how much he likes his game since he got there. You can see he has a different approach that the Hunters have in that regard. They're definitely the more old school, gruff, understated type.

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
I heard one of Big Mac's ancestors, Paul McCarron, helped St. Patrick rid Ireland of snakes. Unbustable. :sarcasm:

your thinking of Paul McCrannon

Paul McCarron was the one who accidentally brought the snakes to Ireland... coincidentally they were concealed in a case of girly sweet rye..

Ever since then irishmen are only allowed to drink Jaimie and tullmordoo (who the can heck can remember how to spell it?) and such

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
your thinking of Paul McCrannon

Paul McCarron was the one who accidentally brought the snakes to Ireland... coincidentally they were concealed in a case of girly sweet rye..

Ever since then irishmen are only allowed to drink Jaimie and tullmordoo (who the can heck can remember how to spell it?) and such

Crap. We're in trouble...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

That's what I have been hoping to hear ever since I saw him play in his first exhibition game last year. I already saw a guy who looked like he could be a complete player and not just a big zhlob.

Big Mac's appearance in this year's exhibition game was actually very impressive for me. He was keeping up with NHL-like speed, hitting guys but still knowing where to go on the ice.

I've said it before, but I think this guy might become really good.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
That's what I have been hoping to hear ever since I saw him play in his first exhibition game last year. I already saw a guy who looked like he could be a complete player and not just a big zhlob.

Big Mac's appearance in this year's exhibition game was actually very impressive for me. He was keeping up with NHL-like speed, hitting guys but still knowing where to go on the ice.

I've said it before, but I think this guy might become really good.

Agreed, something that has been clarified this year both in camp and in the CHL is that he's not just a ham. He's got skills, he understands the game, and he's got the drive to improve. Also, big guys like him tend to develop a bit slower.

We might be in for a surprise. We just gotta give him time.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
McCarron was playing nearly 25 minutes in London - now playing in the 15-17 range in Oshawa. Different team composition - more balanced.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
McCarron was playing nearly 25 minutes in London - now playing in the 15-17 range in Oshawa. Different team composition - more balanced.

Personally, I think that both McCarron and Scherbak will benefit from being traded.

They're experiencing the need to develop chemistry with new players, to play different roles, to adapt to a different organizational philosophy...

Seems to me it's a benefit more than an obstacle. I think there's a reasonable chance one of them will make the team out of camp.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Personally, I think that both McCarron and Scherbak will benefit from being traded.

They're experiencing the need to develop chemistry with new players, to play different roles, to adapt to a different organizational philosophy...

Seems to me it's a benefit more than an obstacle. I think there's a reasonable chance one of them will make the team out of camp.

McC could play 3-4, tomorrow IMO.
Sherbie is still a year out i would think.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
McC could play 3-4, tomorrow IMO.
Sherbie is still a year out i would think.

Depends on Scherbak's off season. My best hope is that he comes into camp bigger, stronger, faster...

Then follows Gallagher's example of being promoted after a half season in the AHL.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Depends on Scherbak's off season. My best hope is that he comes into camp bigger, stronger, faster...

Then follows Gallagher's example of being promoted after a half season in the AHL.

True,
Sherbie is more likely to grow than Mac....:laugh:

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
Generals' McCarron living up to first round status in second OHL season

mike_mccarron_oshawa_generals.jpg
Photo: Oshawa Generals forward and Montreal Canadiens prospect Michael McCarron has nearly doubled his 2013-14 point total while having played 20 less games to this point of the 2014-15 season (courtesy of Aaron Bell/OHL Images)

The new 2014-15 OHL campaign brought about a dramatic change in Montreal Canadiens’ prospect Michael McCarron’s game. The start of 2015 brought a new opportunity to play a key role in the Oshawa Generals’ Memorial Cup aspirations, and he’s hoping to lead the way by taking a year’s worth of lessons and applying them to this season’s success.

“I’ve been there and I know what it takes to win,†McCarron said, before pausing and laughing.… read more

The post Generals’ McCarron living up to first round status in second OHL season appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
He said the right things last spring about having to improve, and he has improved dramatically. He's saying the right things again now, about what he needs to work on to be a successful pro, I'm confident he'll achieve his fitness goals and compete for a roster spot next training camp.

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
He said the right things last spring about having to improve, and he has improved dramatically. He's saying the right things again now, about what he needs to work on to be a successful pro, I'm confident he'll achieve his fitness goals and compete for a roster spot next training camp.

The coupling of his improving performance + his interview talks is what's winning me over with that guy.
He knows it's very important not to talk if you're not going to back it up.

“He’s been great for us. He’s a big guy down the middle, finishes hits, plays hard, and wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s a guy who certainly has made us a lot bigger and a lot better,†Smith said. “I think [McCarron’s Memorial Cup experience] is big, but I think the biggest thing he brings is just the way he carries himself. You can see that he wants to play in the NHL and he wants to be the best player on the ice. That pushes other players.

“The most important thing is that he’s not going to accept being average. He wants to be the best he possibly can and that pushes our other players to compete with him.â€

the bolded parts are a good thing to hear from his coach.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the article. I like this guy. He's got a nasty streak like Tinordi.

Beaulieu is tough, Tinordi, Pateryn, DSP, McCarron. Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad