McBackup next year

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
You gamble on youth and potential 10/10.

Sometimes it doesn’t work out but it’s worth the risk
Potential? Is there a soul on here who actually thinks Sparks amounts to anything more than what McBackup is already? So some think Sparks pushes Andy for the starter gig? No. Is Andy aging and likely gone in a couple years? No. What is this potential we speak of all the time with Sparks, again his top end is a younger Mc Backup. Potential is a mirage, there's no where to go but becoming a quality backup, which we already had. So far he's worse than McBackup (who was trending on twitter last night he's been so good), net negative.

I predict McBackup is in the NHL longer than Sparks. Feel free to call me out.

I will say Sparks has looked a bit better of late, which is interesting because he's lost 3 of his last 4 and when he was total garbage we got his record thrown in our faces like that's all that matters.

Youth, okay. Potential, a total non starter.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Sparks outperformed Mcbackup during training camp, I would not be complaining but he didn't.
Dubas said he didnt care about camp performance, Sparks resume in the AHL earned him a shot at the NHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Potential? Is there a soul on here who actually thinks Sparks amounts to anything more than what McBackup is already? So some think Sparks pushes Andy for the starter gig? No. Is Andy aging and likely gone in a couple years? No. What is this potential we speak of all the time with Sparks, again his top end is a younger Mc Backup. Potential is a mirage, there's no where to go but becoming a quality backup, which we already had. So far he's worse than McBackup (who was trending on twitter last night he's been so good), net negative.

I predict McBackup is in the NHL longer than Sparks. Feel free to call me out.

I will say Sparks has looked a bit better of late, which is interesting because he's lost 3 of his last 4 and when he was total garbage we got his record thrown in our faces like that's all that matters.

Youth, okay. Potential, a total non starter.

I think you’re underselling Sparks potential; given his AHL performance it’s not out of the question that he could end up a 1B type.

And let’s not pretend McBackup has a stellar CV: prior to this season he’s 35 and had 32 good games with the Leafs (spread over two seasons) vs multiple seasons of ranging from poor to mediocre.

Reactions: Its not your fault

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think you’re underselling Sparks potential; given his AHL performance it’s not out of the question that he could end up a 1B type.

And let’s not pretend McBackup has a stellar CV: prior to this season he’s 35 and had 32 good games with the Leafs (spread over two seasons) vs multiple seasons of ranging from poor to mediocre.
He has some good work with CBJ.

There is no way I see Sparks as a 1B. The jury is still out if he sticks in the league at all.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
IT IS WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

Why?

The Leafs clearly believed they had an asset in Sparks worth developing, since they've been incubating him since 2011. Why would you throw that away because he had a poor camp?

Philosophically, keeping McBackup because of a better training camp would be like exposing Andreas Johnsson to waivers because you liked Tyler Ennis better.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why?

The Leafs clearly believed they had an asset in Sparks worth developing, since they've been incubating him since 2011. Why would you throw that away because he had a poor camp?

Philosophically, keeping McBackup because of a better training camp would be like exposing Andreas Johnsson to waivers because you liked Tyler Ennis better.
Philosophically you don't invite Mcbackup to camp on the pretense that the best get a job when it was a done deal already.

Reactions: yubbers

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Philosophically you don't invite Mcbackup to camp on the pretense that the best get a job when it was a done deal already.

There was no "invite." McBackup was under contract and therefore property of the Leafs. Subject to their personnel choices.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There was no "invite." McBackup was under contract and therefore property of the Leafs. Subject to their personnel choices.

I would say Dubas can't really assess how good tenders are. I mean, Sparks has always been a scrambly swimmer of a mess.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
then you put him on waivers before you create a controversy. You do not play him.

great

Apr 14, 2018
Sparks is not a very reliable backup, his performance is just not consistent. But with the way this team defends it's hard to say whose fault it is, and it's obvious that Freddy bails them out a lot.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Mrazek is an expensive backup
More of a platoon I think , the odds of Campbell being starter material for a full season are still 50/50 at best given the entirety of his career , not hating just being a realist , I can see both guys being really solid as a platoon and I can equally see both guys diving off a cliff and being sold as parts at the tdl to teams with injured goalie problems .Fingers crossed for the former .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad