McBackup next year

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
For this entire season I have been on the thinking that regardless, Curtis won't be the back up next year despite his contract. But at this point, how do we not bring him back? He has been playing out of his mind, and shows no signs of slowing down. He plays an ugly (very ugly) style, but battles harder than any Leaf's goalie since maybe prime Reimer.

I think you run with him to start the year, if he shows signs up regression you can waive him and we have 3 younger guys waiting to be our #2. But for now, he seems to be well liked, he's performing well and he's earned next year.

What do you think? Curtis, Sparks, Pickard, Kask? Who gets the nod behind Andersen next season?

Reactions: Le Cobra and Jeypic

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
He's shown he is a capable backup. If I'm Babcock, I'm giving him a few extra games next year on top of just back-to-backs as to not run Andersen to the ground.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
One of Pickard/Sparks will get moved. Hopefully the leafs can snag a 4th or something based on their strong play in the NHL

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
He has without a doubt earned that second year, at least to start it. If he falters, send him to the Marlies or let him get claimed and call up sparks.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's earned the right to keep wearing that Maple Leaf and collect his paycheck. I'd expect for Sparks to ask for a trade at this point. We have him under contract and he deserves/wants an NHL opportunity, (or at the very least, NHL money) but we won't be able to give it to him unless McBackup falters. Pickard gets re-signed to a two way deal and Sparks gets traded at the draft or after training camp to a team looking for a young backup. In an ideal world we keep Sparks through next year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It ain't always pretty, but McVezina has been outstanding this season. It's very difficult to find reliable back ups that thrive with sporadic playing time. It would be foolish not to re-sign him.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
For this entire season I have been on the thinking that regardless, Curtis won't be the back up next year despite his contract. But at this point, how do we not bring him back? He has been playing out of his mind, and shows no signs of slowing down. He plays an ugly (very ugly) style, but battles harder than any Leaf's goalie since maybe prime Reimer.

I think you run with him to start the year, if he shows signs up regression you can waive him and we have 3 younger guys waiting to be our #2. But for now, he seems to be well liked, he's performing well and he's earned next year.

What do you think? Curtis, Sparks, Pickard, Kask? Who gets the nod behind Andersen next season?
Ideally:

Pickard/McB - Dealt/Backing up on Marlies. Keep one. Waive/trade the other.
Sparky - Backing up Freddy.
KK - Marlies starter.

Reactions: Marshy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well ya, this season is ideal but I don't see where we can maintain status quo. So changes will be made and to me, this would be the best case scenario.
I guess I'm not following but why can't they maintain the status quo for another year?

Reactions: colchar

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As well as he’s played would rather give one of the Marlies guys a chance.

McBackup has served his role well but imo his play is more the result of the team/system in front of him. He didn’t magically turn into a good goalie syndrome his age.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I would keep McBackup, but at the same time, nothing would entice Pickard or Sparks to come back if that were the case. Sparks probably asks for a trade and Pickard probably just flat out wouldn't sign.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
It's a great position to be in, having a modicum of depth at the pro level in net. But here's where (even as a fanbase) we're going to learn to think differently, and that's maximize assets while we're in a position of strength.

Think of it like a television series that jumps the shark, it stayed on longer than it should have. Same thing here. Best case scenario is some team sees what Lou saw and pays something for Mac, ideally a pick, however late. That's sound asset management. Because Sparks has all but played his way off of and up from the Marlies. Pickard presents another option, and he's provided some decent NHL numbers in limited action. Either way, I think it's prudent to promote Kasimir Kaskisuo to a more prominent role with the Marlies.

Were I the Leafs GM, I'd be looking at "free wallets" like Veini Vehvilainen to supplement movement within the organization.

Ideally, Mac is moved for a pick. Pickard is moved for a pick. Kaskisuo takes over the starter's role with the Marlies outright, and Sparks is brought in as the new backup. Ideally we use those (presumably late) picks to gamble on goalies and supplement our present lack of goaltending prospects.

Andersen looks like he's going to be here a long time. During his reign, we'd move Sparks for assets, replace Sparks with Kaskisuo and repeat the process,and potentially move him while Woll plies his trade with the Marlies until he's ready for the big club.

Also, I can see at least 2 of them not being happy with status quo.

I think that's exactly the case. Again, great position to be in provided we can maximize our assets efficiently.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Yeah I don't understand the issue here?

He's signed for next season so he'll be the backup again next season.

He won't need to clear waivers because he won't be sent down unless he plays horribly which there have been no signs to indicate that being likely at all.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
All 3 require waivers. McB and Pick may clear but I don't think Sparky does.
Also, I can see at least 2 of them not being happy with status quo.
Got it.
I don't think either of those issues will concern the Leafs, certainly not enough to break up a successful tandem.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I think one of Sparks/Pickard gets dealt and McBackup/Andersson stay as starters. He's earned his back-up job and not every goalie can do it as well as he has for us. I prefer a younger choice, but I can certainly see the want to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad