McBackup next year

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I think that he's been a great back up. Let's give Pickard another year to stew around in the minors, and we can eventually move on from McBackup after next year. Or Pickard takes the back up position at some point during the year.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's probably a reasonably close competition, but the backup job is still likely McElhinney's to lose. Pickard would also have to be re-signed ( I know he's just an RFA).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well ya, this season is ideal but I don't see where we can maintain status quo. So changes will be made and to me, this would be the best case scenario.
Only problem is that Sparks in my opinion is not an NHL goalie. Difficulty tracking pucks and poor save selection and average feet see him gone.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
If everything remains the same they could lose two goalies to waivers next season. They should probably sell high on McElhinney, bring up their favourite out of Sparks and Pickard and hope someone more appealing will be hitting the wire than the other goalie and they can slide him to the Marlies for further seasoning.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ideally:

Pickard/McB - Dealt/Backing up on Marlies. Keep one. Waive/trade the other.
Sparky - Backing up Freddy.
KK - Marlies starter.
ROFL....just no.

Ideally...play the best guy...you do not deal a guy because you have an age fetish.

GAA 2.25 SV% .931 9-4-1

Only morons punish success in pro sports. Our management is not full of morons.

Reactions: Eb

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
ROFL....just no.

Ideally...play the best guy...you do not deal a guy because you have an age fetish.

GAA 2.25 SV% .931 9-4-1

Only morons punish success in pro sports. Our management is not full of morons.

Though, hardly uncommon in terms of asset management for teams to favour younger guys.

Imo, McBackup benefits from the team and system in front of him so much that while he’s played well, could likely be replaced without much disruption.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Though, hardly uncommon in terms of asset management for teams to favour younger guys.

Imo, McBackup benefits from the team and system in front of him so much that while he’s played well, could likely be replaced without much disruption.
How does the system make him one of the best statistical back ups in the league?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
How does the system make him one of the best statistical back ups in the league?

Limiting scoring chances against, he’s really not tested all that much - a few games are the exception to this though.

He’s been a mediocre player his entire career, why should we think he’s suddenly become the best backup? He’s fit well into the system the Leafs have but he’s replaceable.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Because McElhinney is 34 and will be 35 before the start of next season.

Both Sparks and Pickard will need to clear waivers to be sent down next year. We can’t keep all 4 of them, the only 2 that are 100% safe are the 2 that make the NHL roster.
As good as McElhinney has been this season we have to look at what’s best for the future of the team and losing 2 young goalies with decent potential to keep a 35 year old career backup is poor asset management.

Reactions: Menzinger

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
In the end we can’t keep all 4 goalies we have right now.
Anderson is obviously safe but after that you have to decide which of the 3 you think had the best long term potential.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Limiting scoring chances against, he’s really not tested all that much - a few games are the exception to this though.

He’s been a mediocre player his entire career, why should we think he’s suddenly become the best backup? He’s fit well into the system the Leafs have but he’s replaceable.
The truth is probably in the middle, late bloomers happen, see Tim Thomas

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He could just as easily completely bomb next season. We should not be married to this guy. If he sucks next season for whatever reason, he is hitting the waiver wire. I hope he continues to do well for us and if not, easily replaceable.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't understand the logic how McBackup has benefitted from the Leafs system. Gee, most hockey fans wouldn't think the Leafs have a defensive system that would benefit any goalie.
McBackup seems like the only answer to Leafs goaltending next year. There is no proof that Pickard and Sparks are NHL better.
My opinion the Leafs keep McBackup and Sparks (who still has to go through waivers). Who knows, does Holl forego college and plays with the Marlies next year

Reactions: Warden of the North

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't think you can pencil him in as a .931 guy because he hasn't been that, nor does he look like he could carry the load if Freddie went down with a significant injury. At 35 he doesn't have another gear. I suspect he will Duke it out with Sparks in training camp and the loser probably gets traded. Sparks is still being punished for 17 games in 15-16 when the club was in a free-fall on the way to drafting #1. but he has proven all that he can in the AHL and may yet evolve into an NHL starter. He has a much greater future value, and dealing McElh would be selling high. However the only reason to consider a change for CM is if Sparks can show he is ready. It seems really unlikely they want to shove Sparks down in the AHL for another year, but really why not if CM has a big training camp? If the McElhinney of a .924 and .931% shows up in camp, why wouldn't you send Sparks back down even if you still like him? I doubt there is any way they keep both Sparks and Pickard in the AHL next year though, but they may wait until they know if Sparks makes the big club.

Its a nice problem to have.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think if we were choosing in a vacuum the Leafs would keep McBackup next year and risk waiving/trading the other 2. However looking beyond just next year I think the Leafs would like to have 1 of Sparks/Pickard as a backup beyond next year. McBackup will tail off at some point and even if he keeps it up for another year he's gone after that. For that reason I think they'll try to trade McBackup while his value is at its highest, keep Sparks and Pickard, battle for the backup role and hope the other gets through waivers somehow at the beginning of next year like Pickard managed to do this year. If you keep McBackup and waive the other 2(which you have to do unless you roll 3 goalies which you won't) if you lose both then suddenly in a years time you're down all 3 goalies and are looking for a stable backup again.

Yeah the backup goalie role isn't that tough to fill that you'd weigh the positions long term stability too much but given how great the AHL tandem has been I think they'd trust them enough that they'd be willing to risk the McBackup results(which might not even repeat itself) to keep the position filled beyond next year.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know that McElhinney has a contract through next season, however his play this season has proved he deserves to keep his job as the back up to Andersen.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His play this past season would suggest otherwise though.

He should be st this point an average NHL backup
Sorry I Just do not see him as a NHL goalie. We have a very good team he is playing behind and likely the best D in the league.

Hope he proves me wrong as we need goaltending depth.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Sorry I Just do not see him as a NHL goalie. We have a very good team he is playing behind and likely the best D in the league.

Hope he proves me wrong as we need goaltending depth.

The Leafs are not Nashville. We're not even close. McB has done far better than some of our previous starters. Age really isn't an issue for a goalie unless they have a lingering injury. McElhinney (sp?) doesn't have that. To top it all off, he's put up impressive numbers, despite a lack of playing time. Historically, it always took Reimer two to three starts to get good, McBackupJesus has pulled it off in one game, coming in cold off the bench. He has far exceeded what he's being paid for.

Until a prospect can challenge him, you keep him. Players that get handouts due to their age are players that never tap their potential. Let's not resurrect the Muskoka 5 entitlement on this team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The Leafs are not Nashville. We're not even close. McB has done far better than some of our previous starters. Age really isn't an issue for a goalie unless they have a lingering injury. McElhinney (sp?) doesn't have that. To top it all off, he's put up impressive numbers, despite a lack of playing time. Historically, it always took Reimer two to three starts to get good, McBackupJesus has pulled it off in one game, coming in cold off the bench. He has far exceeded what he's being paid for.

Until a prospect can challenge him, you keep him. Players that get handouts due to their age are players that never tap their potential. Let's not resurrect the Muskoka 5 entitlement on this team.
Lol read the post I was replying to before posting is a minimum expectation. I was talking about the Marles and Sparks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad