McBackup next year

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Vasilevski is already saying he's dealing with fatigue, with less GP & shots faced than Andersen. People really love to whine about other posters.

In fairness though, Andersen has more seasons indicative of a starter's workload (GP) under his belt compared to Vasilevskiy, so Andersen may be better adjusted to that at this point.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Vasilevski is already saying he's dealing with fatigue, with less GP & shots faced than Andersen. People really love to whine about other posters.

It says more about Vasi's conditioning level than anything else. You want to be a starter in this league? Prepare yourself to start at least 60 games.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I agree.

And if McBackup would bring back the best asset(s), than we shouldn’t not do it
I think that is a bit too simple. If we move McBackup we are downgrading. We should be fielding the best team possible so to downgrade in one area we should be improving in another. We are talking about a bunch of guys worth 3rd and 4rth round picks so if we are downgrading to go from say a 4rth to a 3rd I say keep the better player and take the fourth.

Without knowing what offers we'll get, if any, it is difficult to make a clear policy. Sparks as the homegrown boy with the super season rises above Packard in the pecking order IMO but not above McBackup.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
ROFL....just no.

Ideally...play the best guy...you do not deal a guy because you have an age fetish.

GAA 2.25 SV% .931 9-4-1

Only morons punish success in pro sports. Our management is not full of morons.

:(

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What do you think? Curtis, Sparks, Pickard, Kask? Who gets the nod behind Andersen next season?

As soon as you say Pickard, you kinda lose all credibility. What is this fascination with a guy who was a 26 year old back up with the Marlies last year? Since you built up McBackup as a star, don't you think he signs a better contract that the Leaf can afford?
To answer your question Sparks. Marlies, Scott and Leafs are hoping to sign Woll, but he just might stay in college and then become a college UFA a year later. A Hutchinson type guy is would be get a veteran guy for the Marlies and maybe the Leafs third goalie.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Remember McElhinney's 2nd game in 2017-18 vs the Kings?

Gave up 5 goals on 28 shots and the majority of this fanbase was done with him.

Backup goalies are largely the same in terms of variance.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
surprised that with the obvious ageism that went on with this decision, people aren't talking about the mistake of hiring such a young GM whose own youthful prejudice may have significantly cost the team a critical future win or wins down the road.
As for goalies...
Goaltenders mostly immune to youth movement in NHL
Imagine where the leafs could be without a stupid millennial GM who cost us a backup goalie

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Imagine where the leafs could be without a stupid millennial GM who cost us a backup goalie
You are right. Backup goalies are beneath the position of a GM. A GM should focus on stupid platitudes and the important job of overpaying his players because in his millennial wisdom, he can and he will.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You are right. Backup goalies are beneath the position of a GM. A GM should focus on stupid platitudes and the important job of overpaying his players because in his millennial wisdom, he can and he will.
He added a 1c and top pairing defenseman without giving up a roster player, and you're worried about the backup goalie. Dont you think that's a bit silly?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He added a 1c and top pairing defenseman without giving up a roster player, and you're worried about the backup goalie. Dont you think that's a bit silly?
I think it's silly that you feel he is above criticism for something that was clearly a mistake.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think it's silly that you feel he is above criticism for something that was clearly a mistake.
It wasn’t clearly a mistake nor do I feel it was a mistake whatsoever. Better cool it on the hyperbole.
Sparks has been a decent backup this season. I honestly don’t understand these rampant Sparks debasers; how can you so willingly set yourself up to look bad?
Sparks will continue in this league as a capable backup at a great cap hit.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
You aren't criticizing his decision, you're attacking him over his age
I am pointing out that experience matters. Maybe you think that is unfair but less unfair than a player losing his job due to age when he has played better. Experience will tell you that a backup goalie is a replacement level player. Any considerations more than 2 years ahead for a replacement level player is an academic exercise and is a major mistake. It also serves to undermine the "play if you perform" mindset of the team. Why didn't Mcbackup get put on waivers before training camp? Why the dog and pony show? It seems to me, Dubas was half committed to a "play if you perform" strategy, but quickly lost his resolve when the outcome didn't meet his expectations. Process was sacrificed to an ad-hoc decision that was necessitated by no outside event other than the results did not match the hypothesis. That is undisciplined and I actually give him some credit by blaming it on his age. It means it is possible that he is able to learn from it. Unfortunately, learning events have costs.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
As soon as you say Pickard, you kinda lose all credibility. What is this fascination with a guy who was a 26 year old back up with the Marlies last year? Since you built up McBackup as a star, don't you think he signs a better contract that the Leaf can afford?
To answer your question Sparks. Marlies, Scott and Leafs are hoping to sign Woll, but he just might stay in college and then become a college UFA a year later. A Hutchinson type guy is would be get a veteran guy for the Marlies and maybe the Leafs third goalie.
Just want to make sure you realize this post was from last season.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
It wasn’t clearly a mistake nor do I feel it was a mistake whatsoever. Better cool it on the hyperbole.
Sparks has been a decent backup this season. I honestly don’t understand these rampant Sparks debasers; how can you so willingly set yourself up to look bad?
I'm not the one looking bad. The backup position was better served last year and that is a fact.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I'm not the one looking bad. The backup position was better served last year and that is a fact.
I wouldn’t argue against that. I feel though that in the long run it will work best for team to have kept Sparks like they did. It was almost obvious that McBackup would be better than Sparks this year but that’s the short term view and management is looking long term. Many people are in a rush to make ultimate judgement on this situation but it won’t be clear any time soon. The people that stand looking idiotic are the ones who rushed to condemn Sparks as utter garbage and pretend they themselves are goalie coaches. This mob mentality to try and be first in line serving up the hot takes is difficult to endure.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
People wanted to keep a goalie turning 36 in a few months and lose BOTH of our two promising young goalies (Sparks, Pickard) that have the potential to actually be something? How is this an argument? Sure you always want an experienced backup, but both have showed good numbers (won a Calder cup aswell), so its only the smart thing to keep atleast one of them.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People wanted to keep a goalie turning 36 in a few months and lose BOTH of our two promising young goalies (Sparks, Pickard) that have the potential to actually be something? How is this an argument? Sure you always want an experienced backup, but both have showed good numbers (won a Calder cup aswell), so its only the smart thing to keep atleast one of them.

You gamble on youth and potential 10/10.

Sometimes it doesn’t work out but it’s worth the risk

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I wouldn’t argue against that. I feel though that in the long run it will work best for team to have kept Sparks like they did. It was almost obvious that McBackup would be better than Sparks this year but that’s the short term view and management is looking long term. Many people are in a rush to make ultimate judgement on this situation but it won’t be clear any time soon. The people that stand looking idiotic are the ones who rushed to condemn Sparks as utter garbage and pretend they themselves are goalie coaches. This mob mentality to try and be first in line serving up the hot takes is difficult to endure.
Sparks has 1 RFA year (arbitration eligible) after this afterwhich he is a UFA. There is no long term asset under control. On a team that needs to manage replacement level players year by year, and looking to compete for the cup, I see little if any upside in keeping Sparks over Mcbackup unless they were hoping on replacing Andersen over time, and Sparks was a real long shot at being able to do that. If Sparks outperformed Mcbackup during training camp, I would not be complaining but he didn't. The issue I have is one of principal. In retrospect, the decision was wrong but the greater problem is that the process cannot be fixed because it was circumvented based on a gut feeling.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I am pointing out that experience matters. Maybe you think that is unfair but less unfair than a player losing his job due to age when he has played better. Experience will tell you that a backup goalie is a replacement level player. Any considerations more than 2 years ahead for a replacement level player is an academic exercise and is a major mistake. It also serves to undermine the "play if you perform" mindset of the team. Why didn't Mcbackup get put on waivers before training camp? Why the dog and pony show? It seems to me, Dubas was half committed to a "play if you perform" strategy, but quickly lost his resolve when the outcome didn't meet his expectations. Process was sacrificed to an ad-hoc decision that was necessitated by no outside event other than the results did not match the hypothesis. That is undisciplined and I actually give him some credit by blaming it on his age. It means it is possible that he is able to learn from it. Unfortunately, learning events have costs.
. Do you think there was a better choice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad