McBackup next year

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If we have so many good goalies, why does Babcock keep running Andersen into the ground?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Curtis Mc......GAA. 2.09, Save% .935
Andersen .....GAA 2.79, Save% .919

Gee, maybe McBackup, should be the starting goalie:sarcasm:. Fans always like their prospects. Certainly no guarantee that Sparks could be a satisfactory NHL backup. Admitting until given the chance, we'll never know.

Quite an impressive season (and even last year) by Curtis Mc. Good for him and the Leafs.

A little side note, the Leafs are 12th in GAA, Just maybe the Leafs defence isn't a disastrous as many folks think.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
McBackup is the best back up goalie. Leafs will probably sign him for another 2 years.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Would keep McElhinney around for another season and package the other two. Only time I want an inexperienced backup on the team is a youngster with future as our #1. Neither Sparks or Pickard will ever future starters in this league so its pointless to potentially lose games for nothing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He must have the highest shutouts per game played in the league. 16gp 3 SO. Insane.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Keep him the rest of year obviously but trade him this offseason for anything. Goalies are voodoo and I'd rather take a chance on a young-ish guy rather than a 35 year old.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Keep him the rest of year obviously but trade him this offseason for anything. Goalies are voodoo and I'd rather take a chance on a young-ish guy rather than a 35 year old.

So you wuold rather take a chance on someone completely unproven, just because they are younger, than ride with an older experienced goalie who has proven that he can do the job and do it well? Thank God you're not in the Leafs' management team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If we have so many good goalies, why does Babcock keep running Andersen into the ground?

Just beacause a starter in his prime is getting 60+ starts a season does not mean that they are running him into the ground. Gimme a break. Any starting goalie worth his salt should be able to start 60+ games easy. People really love to baby athletes. I am glad Babcock is not doing that with Andersen.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What will be interesting is if there’s a GM changebwjth the Leafs this offseason.

Ie If Dubas gets the job, perhaps he would be more inclined to go with one of his Marlies guys as the backup.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
So you wuold rather take a chance on someone completely unproven, just because they are younger, than ride with an older experienced goalie who has proven that he can do the job and do it well? Thank God you're not in the Leafs' management team.

Terrible asset management letting one of sparks/pickard go for nothing next year. They got lucky that sparks passed through waivers this year. Won't happen again after his season

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's almost silly debate when you call a goalie a "backup." For those 20 games that he starts he's your goalie. And if you # 1 starter gets hurts, this so called backup is now the # 1 starter. Take a look at the goaltender injuries this season, teams need three NHL calibre goalies in a season. No reason for the Leafs to trade Curtis for a meaningless pick, even if it means that he waived next year (which I can't see happening).

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
You need 6 pro goalies in your system.Looking at the league standings.

Leafs are #6 in the NHL
Marlies #1 in the AHL

I don't think goaltending is our achilles heal.The goalies on both teams are doing a great job.You might get disgruntled if your the 3rd Marlies goalie.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He is a Habs fan who wants the leafs to get worse.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I was on the side of moving him and having Pickard be the back up but I was wrong.

He has been absolutely stellar and is never flustered but the unexpected, coming in mid game or taking a few starts in a row after a few weeks without a game. Good confidence for the young team in front of him.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
ROFL....just no.

Ideally...play the best guy...you do not deal a guy because you have an age fetish.

GAA 2.25 SV% .931 9-4-1

Only morons punish success in pro sports. Our management is not full of morons.

Thank God for that. Took a long time to get out of that moronic pit though.

Reactions: BlueBaron

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
CMac will be back next season no doubt. Kaskisuo likely isn’t more than an AHL goalie imo and one of sparks/pickard will be traded. Likely pickard but both are probably gonna be given a chance

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
McBackup has earned the right to come back next season as this team's backup, if that's what this team wants. The Leafs braintrust seems capable of making those sorts of "favor building" decisions with their veteran players.

He was a waiver wire, and he's been SO MUCH better than anyone in the organization would have ever expected. I know Pickard and Sparks are exciting, but what they aren't, is NHL proven like McBackup - that counts for a whole lot

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, to be fair, it’s not just an age fetish for some. It’s that we’ll need to waive Sparks and/or Pickard in September, and it’s likely at least one gets claimed, if not both.

I’m a McBackup supporter, and he’s stood on his head, and hopefully he’ll be back next year.

But, if he’s the goalie that would get us the biggest return.... you think about it

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I mean, to be fair, it’s not just an age fetish for some. It’s that we’ll need to waive Sparks and/or Pickard in September, and it’s likely at least one gets claimed, if not both.

I’m a McBackup supporter, and he’s stood on his head, and hopefully he’ll be back next year.

But, if he’s the goalie that would get us the biggest return.... you think about it
Odds are we move a goalie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
None of these Goalies will have much value once next season rolls around.

AngryScotsman

Feb 17, 2013
Northern Ontario
What else does McBackup need to do to get more respect around here? He single handedly got us into the playoffs last year and he's got 3 shutouts this season...

He's been the perfect backup. So I don't understand anyone wanting pickard/sparks next season.

Reactions: HockeyMad68

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Just beacause a starter in his prime is getting 60+ starts a season does not mean that they are running him into the ground. Gimme a break. Any starting goalie worth his salt should be able to start 60+ games easy. People really love to baby athletes. I am glad Babcock is not doing that with Andersen.
Vasilevski is already saying he's dealing with fatigue, with less GP & shots faced than Andersen. People really love to whine about other posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad