Maurice Loss Record

When will Maurice break the record for most losses by an NHL coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
The record will be his.
What's troubling is the expectation that he will somehow coach beyond his normal winning % and more troubling is the extension granted...
Serious question to all of you.
Will .500 or fake .500 get us post season play ?
I mean I really want Maurice to do well but this is a tall ask.
I'm 80/20 optimistic but only because I believe in the roster.
This team has very good potential in spite of coaching.

This is the really scary thing. What if the team wins despite his coaching? Will management recognize that he has no system and the players are just doing what they want? If they do fire him, will the experience of winning without a real coach lead some players to believe they don't need a coach? How hard will the new guy have to fight to get control of the room?

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
This is the really scary thing. What if the team wins despite his coaching? Will management recognize that he has no system and the players are just doing what they want? If they do fire him, will the experience of winning without a real coach lead some players to believe they don't need a coach? How hard will the new guy have to fight to get control of the room?
They'll have to win despite the coaching IMO.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How would we know that the team is winning "despite the coaching"? Because some fans don't like his line combinations? If fans don't like (or understand) his system? Did the mediocre Carolina teams that went to the Finals and the Third Round win "despite" having Maurice behind the bench?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm going to be open minded about Maurice. If indeed this team has been in tank-mode, I don't think we should decapitate the coach for it.

Tabula rasa, show us what you can do. No excuses.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I don't know if "tank" is the correct phrase. I'm definitely not saying that he went all out to lose. It's just that some of the decisions that were made were kind of obviously stupid (except if the idea was to draft well).

Like if this was boxing, and you want your guy to go down, you don't tell him "go out and lose". That would be detrimental to the culture of your team. You just break his legs and tell him to fight his heart out.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How would we know that the team is winning "despite the coaching"? Because some fans don't like his line combinations? If fans don't like (or understand) his system? Did the mediocre Carolina teams that went to the Finals and the Third Round win "despite" having Maurice behind the bench?

It seems that around here, Maurice is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't and the players get a free pass. If the team struggles, it's because Maurice is a bad coach. If the team does well, the team is "winning despite the coaching". There's no way Maurice can win.

Personally, I think he's a decent to good coach who has, as you say, done well with some pretty mediocre Carolina teams, coached a terribad Toronto team, and a Jets team with league-bottom goaltending. I'm keeping an open mind to see how he does this season with a strong roster of skaters, and a goalie tandem that looks like it will be a significant improvement over what the Jets have had to this point of Maurice's tenure.

As I side note, I wonder who will become the scapegoat if Maurice is fired at some point, but things don't change?

Again, I personally think the Jets will have a good season. I liked what Maurice did with the team his first two years and if does that again, with this roster which is an improvement over those seasons, we're in for a fun run. Hopefully things will lighten up around here a bit as a result. It's a pretty oppressive atmosphere currently.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
As I side note, I wonder who will become the scapegoat if Maurice is fired at some point, but things don't change

The obvious answer is... oh, wait... here they come now. :D

1297473298650_ORIGINAL.jpg

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
It seems that around here, Maurice is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't and the players get a free pass. If the team struggles, it's because Maurice is a bad coach. If the team does well, the team is "winning despite the coaching". There's no way Maurice can win.

Personally, I think he's a decent to good coach who has, as you say, done well with some pretty mediocre Carolina teams, coached a terribad Toronto team, and a Jets team with league-bottom goaltending. I'm keeping an open mind to see how he does this season with a strong roster of skaters, and a goalie tandem that looks like it will be a significant improvement over what the Jets have had to this point of Maurice's tenure.

As I side note, I wonder who will become the scapegoat if Maurice is fired at some point, but things don't change?

Again, I personally think the Jets will have a good season. I liked what Maurice did with the team his first two years and if does that again, with this roster which is an improvement over those seasons, we're in for a fun run. Hopefully things will lighten up around here a bit as a result. It's a pretty oppressive atmosphere currently.
If they struggle out of the gate this is all on coaching. Maurice, Huddy and goalie coach can't avoid blame forever....if this hugely talented team underachieves it will be because of poor line usage, and refusal to deal with the penalty issues of Buff, Perrault, etc. I have watched too many PoMo coached games to believe he won't overplay Hendricks, Lowry, Tanev etc....when Petan, Dano, and even Copp could bring a more contemporary NHL game.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
If they struggle out of the gate this is all on coaching. Maurice, Huddy and goalie coach can't avoid blame forever....if this hugely talented team underachieves it will be because of poor line usage, and refusal to deal with the penalty issues of Buff, Perrault, etc. I have watched too many PoMo coached games to believe he won't overplay Hendricks, Lowry, Tanev etc....when Petan, Dano, and even Copp could bring a more contemporary NHL game.
Spot on.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
So, what kind of cake will be at the party that celebrates him moving into first place for the most losses ever recorded by a coach? I mean, when second place all-time losing and third place all time losing both have multiple Stanley Cups, maybe there's something wrong.

Reactions: Board Bard

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
So, what kind of cake will be at the party that celebrates him moving into first place for the most losses ever recorded by a coach? I mean, when second place all-time losing and third place all time losing both have multiple Stanley Cups, maybe there's something wrong.
Any old cake will be fine, just have to make sure to drop it on the floor before presentation.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think the length of Maurice's extension will influence the time at which he is fired. a 1 - year extension probably only buys him until early to mid-November if the team is under .500. However, I think a 2 -year extension or longer probably buys him until near the end or the actual end of the season. Obviously, other variables have to be taken into account (ie. open player revolt, a team well under .500 say 5 or more games below) but if the team is flirting around the .500 mark for the majority of the season he will stick for the duration or near duration of 17-18.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

I got your cake. This is as big a flop to cake as Mo is to coaching.

hilarious-pinterest-fails-21.jpg

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Maurice is one of the few coaches in this league who has the tools to ice three scoring lines with two proven, high quality veterans on each line, and then have a fourth line that has consistently proven itself to be a very effective checking line with very limited offense.

Instead, he is adamant on using two scoring lines and then misusing the rest of the forwards in the roster. In today's NHL, you will not get by if you show that level of incompetence.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
"Don't worry guys, this team was sucking on purpose."

Yeah, about that...

On the other hand, it wasn't like this game was a complete tire fire (just a partial one). Leafs just played excellent PK and our D was a sieve. On average the Jets have at least two goals after the first.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think it's a legitimate question, who do we replace him with?

It sounds like people are hoping Alain Vigneault gets canned by NYR, but I don't think we can count on that. Who is currently available that would do a better job than Maurice?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think it's a legitimate question, who do we replace him with?

It sounds like people are hoping Alain Vigneault gets canned by NYR, but I don't think we can count on that. Who is currently available that would do a better job than Maurice?

I think a more legitimate question is who in the Jets organization is capable of hiring a good coach able to maximize the players? It isn't Chevy. He'll just hire another dinosaur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad