Maurice Loss Record

When will Maurice break the record for most losses by an NHL coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think it's a legitimate question, who do we replace him with?

It sounds like people are hoping Alain Vigneault gets canned by NYR, but I don't think we can count on that. Who is currently available that would do a better job than Maurice?

Bylsma, Daryl Sutter, Thierren, Tippet, Bob Hartley, Paul MacLean, Ron Wilson have all somewhat recent NHL coaching experience and all have superior career records to Maurice.

Crawford, Lindy Ruff, Jacques Martin, Dave Cameron are currently in assistant roles and have superior records than Maurice.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Isn't Therrien considered a dinosaur as well? He was hated in Montreal similar to Maurice here, wasn't he? I wasn't impressed with Ron Wilson in his tenure in Toronto following Maurice ... he didn't exactly turn things around there in Maurice's wake. I believe Harley is considered fairly old school also and didn't last long in Calgary, who seem to be doing better post-Hartley.

I'm a bit intrigued by Bylsma, but it seems like he didn't do that well in Buffalo. Also seems like he won the cup with Pittsburgh then many years without, then once he's gone Pittsburgh wins back-to-back, so seems like a recipe for another round of "roster is better than the coach" complaints around here. What is peoples' take on him?

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
movieposter.jpg

Maurice had new ideas around the time this movie came out. I hope they fire him before he leads the jets out of the playoffs again this year. Yeah the goalies suck, but cmon..

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Isn't Therrien considered a dinosaur as well? He was hated in Montreal similar to Maurice here, wasn't he? I wasn't impressed with Ron Wilson in his tenure in Toronto following Maurice ... he didn't exactly turn things around there in Maurice's wake. I believe Harley is considered fairly old school also and didn't last long in Calgary, who seem to be doing better post-Hartley.

I'm a bit intrigued by Bylsma, but it seems like he didn't do that well in Buffalo. Also seems like he won the cup with Pittsburgh then many years without, then once he's gone Pittsburgh wins back-to-back, so seems like a recipe for another round of "roster is better than the coach" complaints around here. What is peoples' take on him?

Bylsma might be worse than Maurice. His name should not even be on the list. End of story. Sutter is the only coach here that intrigues me.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I think it's a legitimate question, who do we replace him with?

It sounds like people are hoping Alain Vigneault gets canned by NYR, but I don't think we can count on that. Who is currently available that would do a better job than Maurice?
Ralph in St. James?

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Oh man, I love my Southampton, but please, can Jets borrow Krueger? He is the best coach not in NHL and is in the same tier as Babcock. I think that man could transform Jets to a real contender.

Reactions: Shaibu

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Would it be too risky to try a Finnish coach? I seem to recall some of our board members recommending a specific coach, but I don't recall his name.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Would it be too risky to try a Finnish coach? I seem to recall some of our board members recommending a specific coach, but I don't recall his name.

Everyone does better in their native language, so I think he could have trouble conveying his concepts beyond two of our players.

On the plus side, that's two more than Maurice seems capable of. :laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Paul Maurice is 9 games away from the record for most losses by an NHL coach. When will he break it? The earliest possible date is October 27 when the Jets play the Blue Jackets on the second night of a back-to-back...but that would mean the Jets would have to go 0-9-0 out of the gate - that's about as likely as going 9-0-0 to end the seas OH WAIT! :sarcasm:

When do you think it's going to be?

When people are going for these personal records, it becomes a big distraction to the entire team. So, I'm now pulling for Maurice to set this record at the earliest opportunity. Once he has that in his pocket, he can turn his attention to team wins. :sarcasm:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Oh man, I love my Southampton, but please, can Jets borrow Krueger? He is the best coach not in NHL and is in the same tier as Babcock. I think that man could transform Jets to a real contender.

Krueger is not currently with Southampton as I understand it. He is available at this very moment.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Krueger is not currently with Southampton as I understand it. He is available at this very moment.

Where are you getting that? There have certainly been rumours that new ownership may lead to a parting of ways, but I can find nothing on line even hinting that this has happened.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hopefully it occurs at home.
Instead of tributes a video roast followed by Beck’s I’m a loser baby so why don’t you extend me

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I think at this point, we owe it to Maurice to keep him around long enough to achieve the record, because it's going to be the only real significant thing he accomplishes in his coaching career.

7 more to go. I'm pulling for you, Mo. The whole team is.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I think at this point, we owe it to Maurice to keep him around long enough to achieve the record, because it's going to be the only real significant thing he accomplishes in his coaching career.

7 more to go. I'm pulling for you, Mo. The whole team is.

With a little luck and a real lack of coaching ability which he possesses it is possible for Maurice to fulfill his dream of becoming the losingest coach in NHL history in the month of October!

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Paul Maurice is 9 games away from the record for most losses by an NHL coach. When will he break it? The earliest possible date is October 27 when the Jets play the Blue Jackets on the second night of a back-to-back...but that would mean the Jets would have to go 0-9-0 out of the gate - that's about as likely as going 9-0-0 to end the seas OH WAIT! :sarcasm:

When do you think it's going to be?

Rarely use this term on the boards but 'lmao'. :D

Ny rillataan

Timo Jutila
Jan 7, 2017
Toronto
That was Jukka Jalonen, who is currently the coach of Jokerit. Won't be happening though as it was just announced that he will be returning to coach Finland's national team next season.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Maurice's is not getting this team to play.

I think Darryl Sutter as the head coach here would work and Dale Hawerchuk or Paul Maclean as assistant coach.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The poll disappeared when the boards switched to the new software, so I've re-added it. I don't even quite recall the original choices, but it was something like this. Recent events may have changed some minds :sarcasm: so everyone gets a second chance to guess when Maurice will set the record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad