Maurice Loss Record

When will Maurice break the record for most losses by an NHL coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Paul Maurice is 9 games away from the record for most losses by an NHL coach. When will he break it? The earliest possible date is October 27 when the Jets play the Blue Jackets on the second night of a back-to-back...but that would mean the Jets would have to go 0-9-0 out of the gate - that's about as likely as going 9-0-0 to end the seas OH WAIT! :sarcasm:

When do you think it's going to be?

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Mental exercise:

How would the results of this poll differ if it was posted after two consecutive wins instead of two consecutive losses?

m.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Which occurs first, Maurice becoming the all-time leader in losses or the Jets first 3 game win streak of the season?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How do you video tribute this? Is this something an away team could commemorate?

Sad horns? The Price is Right version, maybe... :sarcasm:

The Athletic's Dom Luszczyszyn is high on the Jets this year. His season preview is up today. Projected points: 95.

This was a concerning bit:

"As it turns out, special-teams play has been an issue that has plagued Maurice for most of his coaching career, especially post-lockout. It’s one of the few things that the coach has direct influence on, and for his teams to be this consistently poor at them is a telling sign of his ability (aside from the fact that he’s been to the playoffs five times in a 20-year career). The last time he had a collectively above average special teams was nearly two decades ago."

https://theathletic.com/106385/2017/09/21/nhl-season-preview-winnipeg-jets/

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There just isn't any fun for fans of the team on here anymore.

????
You can still talk about our wonderful talent pool. No one objects. Lots will join in.

But the reality of this poll is that, sometime well before Xmas we will have the losingest coach in NHL history. The only possibility of preventing that is firing him before loss #9 - and how likely is that?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, only regulation losses.

Maurice is currently 596-569-99-101 (W-L-T-OTL)

Scottie Bowman is just 4 losses ahead with 573 and Al Arbour currently holds the record with 577.

Hmmmmm ..... Pretty good company! :laugh:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I hope we win tonight so the atmosphere can lighten up a bit.

I had a really long chat with a Leafs friend of mine, he talked about his teams expectations and when the convo moved on to me and the Jets, it became apparent to me how important the first 10-15 ish games are. Reading the forum now only emphasis that and reveals to me this teams fanbase is sitting on a powder keg and a really bad start will likely have people reaching for pitchforks and torches. Again, in my opinion.

From here on out until Oct 4th I'm avoiding pre season games just to keep my mental health up there. Watching our vets skate around careless in the warm up for a season this important is really hard to take. Hopefully they can flip the switch. Otherwise, what the hell was the first 6 years of this all for??

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast

Scottie Bowman is just 4 losses ahead with 573 and Al Arbour currently holds the record with 577.

Except Bowman won 9 Stanley Cup and has over 1400 wins and Arbour won 4 Stanley Cup and has 900 wins.
Remind me how many Stanley Cups did Maurice win?:D

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Wait. Doesn't he technically have 670 losses? Back in the day there was no such thing as separating OTL from regular losses. They all counted as losses. So really, isn't he already ahead of those guys by almost 100? He's not a 500 coach. He's not even close to a fake 500 coach!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
First 2 weeks of November.

#riseuptogether

The record will be his.
What's troubling is the expectation that he will somehow coach beyond his normal winning % and more troubling is the extension granted...
Serious question to all of you.
Will .500 or fake .500 get us post season play ?
I mean I really want Maurice to do well but this is a tall ask.
I'm 80/20 optimistic but only because I believe in the roster.
This team has very good potential in spite of coaching.

Reactions: jetswin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad