Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If I'm Auston Matthew, no chance I sign with Arizona, it's a nice story, but they're at the bottom of the league, and might not have a team there in the future.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
If I'm Auston Matthew, no chance I sign with Arizona, it's a nice story, but they're at the bottom of the league, and might not have a team there in the future.
I think you somewhat contradict yourself in your own statement;

I take it you're a Leafs' fan?

Say you're a superstar playing on an up and coming team in LA. You're from Toronto who was your favorite team growing up and you have an opportunity to play for the Leafs. Meanwhile, the Leafs are in jeopardy of leaving Toronto forever due to lack of success. If you are able to play for the Leafs you will give them a legitimate chance to stay in Toronto.

You would not be tempted to go play for your hometown?

Last edited:

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Say you're a superstar playing on an up and coming team in LA. You're from Toronto who was your favorite team growing up and you have an opportunity to play for the Leafs. Meanwhile, the Leafs are in jeopardy of leaving Toronto forever due to lack of success. If you are able to play for the Leafs you will give them a legitimate chance to stay in Toronto.

You make a good point.

But if the team relocates to Quebec or wherever, will you want to be locked into a contract, if your presence doesn't help.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Offersheet madness because one gm who's a child said if I'm lou I'd offer sheet a leafs player. Again 1st right now only one is Nylander..it would be happened, and hasnt. Also the player has to sign it. Stupidity..dont people listen to what Dubas said..we can and will sign all 3. He promised JT the core staying together for his full 7yrs..so enough with dumb comments already..its media causing a ruckus.

Same as we cant afford 4 players but Tampa can afford kuch hedman Stamkos jt Miller mcdonagh and so on and so forth. Dangle had a funny tweet

“The Leafs can’t keep everyone.”
*Tampa re-signs Stamkos*
“It can’t be done.”
*Tampa extends Hedman*
“So just get ready for that.”
*Tampa adds McDonagh, Miller*
“Who will they add on defence?”
*Tampa is in on Karlsson*
“Answer that. You can’t!”
*Tampa extends Kucherov*

This is the joke of the NHL fan base that are super salty the leafs will ice an awesome team..especially on offense

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

You can't compare a team that has been around for 15 years, to a team that's been around for 100.

I personally would not play for a team, if they had the potentialy to be relocated, I could end up playing somewhere I don't want to be. I'd rather control my own destiny, and pick a city/hockey market that has some stability.
Also most hockey players that grew up leafs fans don't sign with Toronto.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Bobby ORR quote

Bs about not being happy and captaincy is so wrong..Matthew's is thrilled and cares about winning.

So there. Listen to Bobby Orr and listen well.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

I sure as hell wouldn't if I was leaving a contender for a bottom feeder

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
You can't compare a team that has been around for 15 years, to a team that's been around for 100.

I personally would not play for a team, if they had the potentialy to be relocated, I could end up playing somewhere I don't want to be. I'd rather control my own destiny, and pick a city/hockey market that has some stability.
Also most hockey players that grew up leafs fans don't sign with Toronto.
Why can't I compare; Leafs have been around your whole life, Coyotes have been around Matthews whole life.

If the Leafs were at threat to be relocated but one player could possibly turn the team's fortune around by signing/playing for the Leafs, that might change the mindset of former Leaf fan hockey players.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

dude..its never gonna get close to that. do you think dubas is seriously not already working on a 8 year deal with matthews. I 100% guarantee when the pucks drops Matthews will be a leaf for 9 more years.

if zona wants t make a run at matthews in the summer of 2027, they can go for it.
by that tme the cap should be 100 mil so 20 mil x 7 should get it done

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why can't I compare; Leafs have been around your whole life, Coyotes have been around Matthews whole life.

If the Leafs were at threat to be relocated but one player could possibly turn the team's fortune around by signing/playing for the Leafs, that might change the mindset of former Leaf fan hockey players.

the comparison of a kid growing up in phoenix watching the yotes vs a kid watching hockey night in canada every week in toronto is pretty weak.

I have never been to zona but i doubt they care about hockey a fraction of what people in TO do

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018

People here have gotten some petty since the leafs signed Tavares. Can’t wait until he is signed and this is put to bed.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Leaf fans told everyone this that would listen and the few Coyotees fans on here that and they told us Matthews wasn't worth OEL, which was laughable. Funny how NOW you guys get it. I had this discussion with so many people on here that Matthews could save the franchise and no one agreed.
Matthews wants to win. He can't do that in Arizona. They are a mess. You think Tavares even meets with the Leafs if the Leafs were in the Coyotees situation? This "Hometown" thing only works if your hometown team is also very good, but people on here don't want to address how good Toronto looks. I am sure I will have to hear once again what an amzing future Arizona has that never arrives.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
How the hell will Arizona afford to pay all of its players if they offersheet Matthews to some ridiculous deal that the Leafs won't match? A small market internal budget team are the last ones who can afford to destroy their depth overpaying for their #1C. With their next four 1st rounders gone, they better be lining up to win a cup right that damn minute, because their pipeline is dried out and they don't have any wiggle room in their cap. If a $15m offersheet causes the Leafs to lose Nylander, what does it cause the Coyotes to lose?

Yet another thread full of wishful thinking and absolutely zero critical thinking.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
How the hell will Arizona afford to pay all of its players if they offersheet Matthews to some ridiculous deal that the Leafs won't match? A small market internal budget team are the last ones who can afford to destroy their depth overpaying for their #1C. With their next four 1st rounders gone, they better be lining up to win a cup right that damn minute, because their pipeline is dried out and they don't have any wiggle room in their cap. If a $15m offersheet causes the Leafs to lose Nylander, what does it cause the Coyotes to lose?

Yet another thread full of wishful thinking and absolutely zero critical thinking.
Yep. We were told for years that no Toronto born superstars would ever sign here. That was true for MANY players until Tavares did, because his team sucked and we were contenders. Other fans that don't like us are latching on to this offer sheet thing out of pure desperation. They refuse to consider that the situations are entirely different and no team is going to sign Matthews to an offersheet that the Leafs won't match. The conpensation is too big and they'd f*** their cap structure while pissing off most of the league.

Jan 21, 2018
The poorest team in the NHL is trying to offer sheet the richest team in the NHL?

tumblr_m8ccviMfGx1rcx983o1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad