Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Winning
Loves his team and teammates
Loves Toronto
Outside of salary he will make prob more than his salary in corporate endorsements
Winning lol
He won’t make more than his salary in endorsements, nice try

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He won’t make more than his salary in endorsements, nice try

I bet he will in Toronto

My Uncle works for a sports agency in Toronto, was actually located in the ACC, dealt with Lawton a lot, and the big names make stupid money in this city.

So I will say yes he will lol

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
13-01-2015-0311_xgaplus.jpg

Yucky Winter in Toronto VS glorious winter in Scottsdale

Its why rich people from all over the continent come here.

VS
Scottsdale-Downtown_on_canal_view_of_sunset.jpg

Reactions: McFlash97

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Neither.

Just logical.

It wouldn't surprise me if, just like Tavares, Matthews wants to someday play for his home team.

If Toronto is a dumpster fire in 9 years then I wouldn't blame him, but if things stay the current course then I see no reason to leave.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Let's get real here guys. In a vacuum if he wasn't drafted where would Matthew's rather play. Toronto or Arizona. He will almost always choose Arizona. His hometown, it's nothing against Toronto, but no one is going to choose the frozen tundra over 30 degree beach weather all year plus it being his hometown, and him being given the keys to the city and also being able to walk down a street without idiots on him 24 7 heckling him. Just sayin....

I dont know these leafs fans are all like Toronto is the sh×××, Vancouver sh××× on Toronto in every way possible as a city.

Last edited:

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Lmaooo why is this still going on... coyotes aka unknown location in 5 years wont get matthews.... move on!!! If u get him thats in 9 years.... u wont have a team then tho lol

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Let's get real here guys. In a vacuum if he wasn't drafted where would Matthew's rather play. Toronto or Arizona. He will almost always choose Arizona. His hometown, it's nothing against Toronto, but no one is going to choose the frozen tundra over 30 degree beach weather all year plus it being his hometown, and him being given the keys to the city and also being able to walk down a street without idiots on him 24 7 heckling him. Just sayin....

Lmao you can litterly say that about every player whos about to gey drafed. They would choose their fav team to play for if had a choice. I bet you if you ask matthews right now he will still choose toronto. Unless he truely doesnt want to win.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

I dont know these leafs fans are all like Toronto is the sh×××, Vancouver sh××× on Toronto in every way possible as a city.
With the exception of John Tavares every other star player from Toronto choose to re-sign with the current team they were on instead of possibly signing with the Leafs. We have the most recent examples with Steven Stamkos and Drew Doughty.

Just because Auston Matthews is a legit #1 centre and star player who happens to be from Arizona, doesn't mean he will one play want to play for the Coyotes.

Last edited:
Reactions: leospaceman3434

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It just doesn't make sense to me.

1 - Toronto has done a very good job of building this team up. It's not like the team is sucking balls and Matthew should want out of there.
2 - Matthews actually has to sign the offer sheet for it to mean anything.
3 - Even if Arizona offers max $$$ Toronto likely gives it to him because it would put them back so much.
4 - If Toronto for some crazy reason doesn't accept where does that leave Arizona? They're without their next 4 1st rounders and they aren't making it into the playoffs any time soon and they've probably annoyed at least a handful of GMs in the league.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Would the Coyotes even have the money to offer him a max or near-max contract? Because that is probably what it would take to pry him from Toronto.

I don’t think Dubas would match Columbus if the offered more than $14 million per season over 7 years, but less then that, Toronto probably matches. The haul in terms of return assets would be enormous, including a likely shot at Hughes next season. What would Arizona be capable of such a contract?

As to whether Matthews would even want to go to the Coyotes even with more money on the table... I am not sure. He certainly must like playing on a Cup contender which looks set to remain that way for years, and I think he likes the other guys in Toronto (Marner, Hyman, Nylander all seem to get along well), and he seemed psyched to get Tavares, but returning home to Arizona probably does have some pull.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It is extremely ridiculous that people on all sides make claims about what motivates a player and what location a player will want to play in, when they have no idea.

Reactions: The3rd

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

I don't think anybody is saying he doesn't like home, but his opportunities are greater in Toronto, unless he is the type of athlete that doesn't want all the advantages of being in a super large market where hockey is religion and you are treated like a god.

I for one would like to build a great legacy in a real hockey market, and make tons of money outside of hockey to set my family up for life 10 times over, but I can also see the appeal of not being noticed and going about your business in a place you grew up, and around those closest to you. I say this as both an American and Canadian citizen, with ties to both Arizona and Cali.

As far as Toronto goes, just because you hate it, doesn't mean it's shit, and in fact it's a world class city with everything offered imaginable. Personally I am an outdoors person, so I love the west, but Toronto is an urban cosmopolitain metropolis, and that appeals to TONS of players, especially when you are rich. It literally checks every box as a leader in every industry, and that cannot be denied.....unless you just hate it, which is your opinion.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Kucherov signed for less than JT91. Yzerman just one uped Toronto again. I still think Matthews gets 10.5-12 million per year at 8 years. There is no way he is making less than Eichel at 10.5. Matthews is a center and they have more than value than a wing. Kucherov at 9.5 and Eichels at 10.5 just gave Matthews the power to stay pay me 10.5 plus a year or I am accepting offer sheets for more.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

True his home will always be his home, just like Toronto being McDavid's home and in a vacuum where he would've wanted to play.

But Hockey players are loyal, and just like McDavid, Matthews will sign an 8 year extension and all this stupidity will be laid to rest.

Also, have you ever been to Toronto? It's far from a frozen tundra :laugh:

Take it from somebody who's been Whitehorse -- not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad