Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I think people underestimate how strong Arizona's prospect pool is + Keller and OEL. I like how some fans of other team's forget they were in the same position just 2 years ago and now how they are the cream of the crop.......well on paper.

The Coyotes themselves were in the same position 2 years ago... Strome and Marner were drafted the same year. Matthews and Keller were drafted the same year. Kadri and OEL were drafted the same year. Dermott and Merkley. Nylander and Perlini. They haven't done anything in the last few years to show they can actually build a good team. And they certainly don't have the resources to go out and greatly improve it.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
The Coyotes themselves were in the same position 2 years ago... Strome and Marner were drafted the same year. Matthews and Keller were drafted the same year. Kadri and OEL were drafted the same year. Dermott and Merkley. Nylander and Perlini. They haven't done anything in the last few years to show they can actually build a good team. And they certainly don't have the resources to go out and greatly improve it.
A projected franchise first overall vs. a 7th. Merkely could still be as good as Dermott. I will certainly give you Marner over Strome and Nylander over Perlini but OEL is much much better than Kadri. I will also give you the resources part as that’s a slam dunk, but I miss the rest of your point.

The Coyotes were at a point in the playoffs in 2012 that the Leafs haven’t been to since 2002. Leafs have been in the playoffs 3 times since the lockout, Coyotes have too.

Yes the Leafs are positioned much better now after being as bad or worse than the Coyotes for over a decade, but how can we say the Coyotes can’t get there too? Other than Tavares resources didn’t get the Leafs where they are, drafting did. The Coyotes will just have to work harder at it.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
A projected franchise first overall vs. a 7th. Merkely could still be as good as Dermott. I will certainly give you Marner over Strome and Nylander over Perlini but OEL is much much better than Kadri. I will also give you the resources part as that’s a slam dunk, but I miss the rest of your point.

The Coyotes were at a point in the playoffs in 2012 that the Leafs haven’t been to since 2002. Leafs have been in the playoffs 3 times since the lockout, Coyotes have too.

Yes the Leafs are positioned much better now after being as bad or worse than the Coyotes for over a decade, but how can we say the Coyotes can’t get there too? Other than Tavares resources didn’t get the Leafs where they are, drafting did. The Coyotes will just have to work harder at it.

Because the Leafs are actually there vs the Yotes just talking about it. At some point you gotta act instead of just saying it.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Because the Leafs are actually there vs the Yotes just talking about it. At some point you gotta act instead of just saying it.
Playoffs 3 times in 13 seasons with first round losses. There on paper maybe.

If the Coyotes would have won that draft lottery instead of the Leafs this conversation would be very different.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

If the Coyotes would have won that draft lottery instead of the Leafs this conversation would be very different.

lmao...

dead last to 6th best record in the league the past 2 years, you can stick in the past, I'll focus on the present, future. Until the Yotes actually have this kind of turnaround, you can talk all you want, there's a better chance of that franchise being relocated than Matthews going there.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

How many top 10 picks do the Coyotess need? LOL. Are you aware they have the most top 10 picks playing for them. Maybe can they stop making horrible draft choices year after year?

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
dude..its never gonna get close to that. do you think dubas is seriously not already working on a 8 year deal with matthews. I 100% guarantee when the pucks drops Matthews will be a leaf for 9 more years.

if zona wants t make a run at matthews in the summer of 2027, they can go for it.
by that tme the cap should be 100 mil so 20 mil x 7 should get it done

If Leafs sign him, great. Until Matthews has a new contract he doesn't have a new contract.

the comparison of a kid growing up in phoenix watching the yotes vs a kid watching hockey night in canada every week in toronto is pretty weak.

I have never been to zona but i doubt they care about hockey a fraction of what people in TO do

Obviously Matthews cares enough to encourage him to take up hockey in a traditionally non-hockey market.

Leaf fans told everyone this that would listen and the few Coyotees fans on here that and they told us Matthews wasn't worth OEL, which was laughable. Funny how NOW you guys get it. I had this discussion with so many people on here that Matthews could save the franchise and no one agreed.
Matthews wants to win. He can't do that in Arizona. They are a mess. You think Tavares even meets with the Leafs if the Leafs were in the Coyotees situation? This "Hometown" thing only works if your hometown team is also very good, but people on here don't want to address how good Toronto looks. I am sure I will have to hear once again what an amzing future Arizona has that never arrives.

Arizona is in pretty decent shape prospect and young player wise.

How the hell will Arizona afford to pay all of its players if they offersheet Matthews to some ridiculous deal that the Leafs won't match? A small market internal budget team are the last ones who can afford to destroy their depth overpaying for their #1C. With their next four 1st rounders gone, they better be lining up to win a cup right that damn minute, because their pipeline is dried out and they don't have any wiggle room in their cap. If a $15m offersheet causes the Leafs to lose Nylander, what does it cause the Coyotes to lose?

Coyotes are a floor team. They wouldn't lose many other players if anything paying one player 16 million per.

If the Coyotes were to do this they would need use the buzz from getting a hometown player to get fans in the stands and push for the playoffs. If they did that it would more than make up the difference of 16 million

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
But would they? They have Tavares locked up for 7 years so the need for a franchise 1C isn't there anymore.

They'd get, what, 5 first overall draft picks or some such in return. And of course, wouldn't have to pay a 16mil salary.

Not even close. If such an unlikely thing were to occur - any contract offer over $10,148,302 AAV is compensated with the club's next 4 1st round picks.

The team is not awarded the pick that player offersheeted was taken at. So your 2019 1st pick likely lands in the 5-10 range pending lotto results, but I suspect Arizona is going to be a fringe playoff team with their roster as is come 2019-20, making that 2020 1st a 12-16 pick, pending lotto results.

That's also not accounting for the impact Matthews would have on the Coyotes; they could climb the standings in a hurry making those picks 16-23 (assuming a 1st round exit) by the 2020 draft.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
How many top 10 picks do the Coyotess need? LOL. Are you aware they have the most top 10 picks playing for them. Maybe can they stop making horrible draft choices year after year?

Coming from the guy that his team has had 6 top 10 picks in the last ten years as opposed to Arizona who's only picked 4.

Matthews fell into Toronotos lap. There was no scouting needed on taking him. A lotto draw changed the dynamic of that whole franchise. Lets not forget the past 20 years and act like Toronto set the world on fire in regards to their drafting and development.

Also, just for reference, here are the records the past 10 years

Toronto 348-336-102
Arizona 347-337-102

1 single win more than Arizona. Wow, Toronto has been worlds better.

It's all fun and games until the numbers show up.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The poorest team in the NHL is trying to offer sheet the richest team in the NHL?

tumblr_m8ccviMfGx1rcx983o1_500.gif
How would you like to travel?:
upload_2018-7-11_20-40-16.jpeg
or
[URL='https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwixlZLWn5jcAhUr2oMKHXzZBYYQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Flibrary.avsim.net%2Fsearch.php%3FSearchTerm%3Dproject%2Bairbus%2Ba380%26CatID%3Droot%26Sort%3DName%26ScanMode%3D0%26Page%3D19&psig=AOvVaw3JHQhfAlKFpm2w2xZSyVNB&ust=1531439715431467']
[/URL]

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Coming from the guy that his team has had 6 top 10 picks in the last ten years as opposed to Arizona who's only picked 4.

Matthews fell into Toronotos lap. There was no scouting needed on taking him. A lotto draw changed the dynamic of that whole franchise. Lets not forget the past 20 years and act like Toronto set the world on fire in regards to their drafting and development.

Toronto 348-336-102
Arizona 347-337-102

And records of the last 10 years matter how exactly? Is that because you want to avoid the current results?
Leafs are in another universe from Arizona,

Leafs success isn't just luck from Matthews, they have hit on every single top 10 pick. They never made a blunder like picking Strome 3rd overall,

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Why can't I compare; Leafs have been around your whole life, Coyotes have been around Matthews whole life.

If the Leafs were at threat to be relocated but one player could possibly turn the team's fortune around by signing/playing for the Leafs, that might change the mindset of former Leaf fan hockey players.
I'm a huge leaf fan, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk that I'd play for the leafs, especially when the team was floundering in 2008-2012. If I'm trying to win a championship, I'd play elsewhere. Maybe circle back if the timing is right (kinda what Tavares did). If Tavares was a free agent in 2015/2016 (ala Stamkos) when the leafs were in the basement, it's doubtful Tavares would have signed. The reality is that your window to win is very small, the last place you want to be is playing for a last place team year after year, it's no fun. Also you have to think about the players that you get to play with. A lot of these guys know each from playing together or against each other coming up. That also factors into things as well.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

arguably one of the best posts I have ever seen

last 5 years

Zona:
3rd (Strome) Passed on Marner. Looks awful in hinsight
5th (Hayton) I still cant believe they passed on Zadina...time will tell
7th (Keller) this was a great pick in this slot
12th (Perlini) coulda had larkin, who bobby mac had at 12 with perlini at 13
16th (Chychrun) looks good so far
23rd (Joseph) too soon
30th (Merkley) He had a very good year in the AHL, huge considering he dropped off in juniors after being drafted

Leafs
1st (Matthews) obvious
4th (Marner) Have to be relieved zona took strome, because leafs likely would have taken him 4th
8th (Nylander) this was a great pic in this slot
17th (Liljegren) to soon
29th (Sandin) too soon
34th (Dermott) great pick

I actually think zona is gonna be decent this year (85-90pts)
They need to get steady tending, and Raanta can get the job done. need him to stay healthy, and 100% need Strome to step in as a top 6 guy. no more excuses after guys drafted after him like Marner,Provorov,Werenski,Rantanen etc are all impact players already

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'm a huge leaf fan, but it wouldn't be a slam dunk that I'd play for the leafs, especially when the team was floundering in 2008-2012. If I'm trying to win a championship, I'd play elsewhere. Maybe circle back if the timing is right (kinda what Tavares did). If Tavares was a free agent in 2015/2016 (ala Stamkos) when the leafs were in the basement, it's doubtful Tavares would have signed. The reality is that your window to win is very small, the last place you want to be is playing for a last place team year after year, it's no fun. Also you have to think about the players that you get to play with. A lot of these guys know each from playing together or against each other coming up. That also factors into things as well.

if the leafs took a step back at all this year, JT doesnt sign.

One thing i wondered was if they sell off JVR and Bozak for assets at the deadline, dont make the pleks deal...finish with 100pts before losing to boston in 4 or 5....does tavares come? I doubt it

JT has never been on a team with more than 101pts. that was with him on it..now he joins a team that had 105 WITHOUT him. should be fun

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Toronto 348-336-102
Arizona 347-337-102

a little misleading

if we go back 13 years, the leafs still have just six top 10 picks but the yotes have 7
not really fair to cut off mueller,turris and boedker to make a point eh?
surely those guys are relevant when talking about building a team..not like im going back 25 years

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yotes take Marner. Leafs take Strome. How many wins better is marner over strome?
Does JT still sign here with the promise of playing with Hyman and Kapanen/Brown?
my guess is no

Leafs have been very lucky with teams ahead of them taking less good guys (Zona-Strome, NYI-Dal Colle/Van-Virtanen/Car-Fleury)

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
lmao...

dead last to 6th best record in the league the past 2 years, you can stick in the past, I'll focus on the present, future. Until the Yotes actually have this kind of turnaround, you can talk all you want, there's a better chance of that franchise being relocated than Matthews going there.

I think that this is something that should be addressed. If we're discussing the probability of Matthews leaving Toronto for Phoenix, then that model should also take into account that the Coyotes could very plausibly be elsewhere by the time he hits UFA.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Hahahaha. Who would ever want to sign long term with this franchise that is a tire fire. Mathews is not stupid and would never leave a situation like Toronto that has set itself up to be successful for years, let alone the endorsement money and everything else that goes with playing in a hockey mecca. Hahahaha. You guys are funny on here.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If they had the balls, we'd invite them to try. Taking us on is like taking on Disney. Financially we own this league.
and posts like this give leaf fans a bad name...the lack of offer sheets to players has nothing to do with which team is targeted its completely because teams silently and without communication collude to prevent the teams from screwing everything up and cause another lockout due to RFA salaries. I mean its coming anyways but the salary inflation that would occur if offer sheets occurred more often would be insane.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
and posts like this give leaf fans a bad name...the lack of offer sheets to players has nothing to do with which team is targeted its completely because teams silently and without communication collude to prevent the teams from screwing everything up and cause another lockout due to RFA salaries. I mean its coming anyways but the salary inflation that would occur if offer sheets occurred more often would be insane.
And I guess that reputation is started by people who are unable to differentiate between people who cheer for the same hockey team. If you think I care about the significance of what those people think, you'd be mistaken. Regardless, the offer sheet wouldn't be signed anyway. Matthews is a competitor. He loves the fact that Tavares is here. He's not gonna sacrifice this opportunity that Tavares was preaching about to go to a rebuilding team like Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad