Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I can't believe fans who laughed at the idea Tavares could go to the Leafs can try to say with a straight face the Coyotees are "Not That Bad", and can afford 15 million per and Matthews desperately wants to go there.
Guys, just be happy if there is a team existing there when Matthews contract is up. That organization is broke, irrelevant and would have been moved years ago if the NHL was like the NFL or NBA.
Pure, laughable fantasy.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
a little misleading

if we go back 13 years, the leafs still have just six top 10 picks but the yotes have 7
not really fair to cut off mueller,turris and boedker to make a point eh?
surely those guys are relevant when talking about building a team..not like im going back 25 years

10 years is usually the norm, but in typical leafs fashion, do your thing.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
One step closer to profitability then. Maybe the owners would like some return on their "investment"?

Bringing in the hometown boy would fire up the local base to goto more games and see one of their own play for the Coyotes. That brings a return on their investment. Having Matthews/Keller/Galchenyuk/OEL/Chychrun/Raanta/ is a six that can provide hope for the team to get to the playoffs and respectability again. Would be a much better investment than signing $11.5M of random players again or leaving that money to sit there.

Coyotes are gonna surprise a lot this upcoming season for those who weren't paying attention to how well they were clicking in the final 25 games of the season. They might not make the playoffs but they'll be close.

Reactions: RemoAZ

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
a little misleading

if we go back 13 years, the leafs still have just six top 10 picks but the yotes have 7
not really fair to cut off mueller,turris and boedker to make a point eh?
surely those guys are relevant when talking about building a team..not like im going back 25 years
that's misleading as well because you omitted the 2 top 10 picks the leafs traded for Kessel. just because a team didn't make the picks, picked a bust, picked a star, etc doesn't change the fact the team earned a top 10 pick for a reason.

both teams earned the right to draft top 10 8 times over 13 years so its kind of tied....LOL

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
It's fine guys.

If Arizona wants to offer sheet Matthews the Leafs will just offer sheet.. let's say Laine. Why not.

Sorry Winnipeg. Wish it didn't have to be this way, you can blame HF for planting the idea across the league to offer sheet everyone.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Bringing in the hometown boy would fire up the local base to goto more games and see one of their own play for the Coyotes. That brings a return on their investment. Having Matthews/Keller/Galchenyuk/OEL/Chychrun/Raanta/ is a six that can provide hope for the team to get to the playoffs and respectability again. Would be a much better investment than signing $11.5M of random players again or leaving that money to sit there.

Coyotes are gonna surprise a lot this upcoming season for those who weren't paying attention to how well they were clicking in the final 25 games of the season. They might not make the playoffs but they'll be close.

Sure, for 10 games or so, then it's right back to packing in 13K with the "all you can eat" ticket package.

Look, I'm trying to insult the loyal fanbase, but let's be realistic, it's been 20+ years and we're still talking about the financial woes of the organization.

Auston Matthews, or Sidney Crosby, or Connor McDavid is going to produce nothing more than a temporary spike in interest. JMO

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
A weak Coyotes team can’t afford a 14M player
I would say that if they intend on trying to actually make something sustainable and long term ... there are 3 players in the NHL that would greatly assist with that...one just signed an 8 year extension last year, 1 is most likely going to be a Penguin for life and the last is Matthews.
i'll never say never and I severely doubt he would sign the offer sheet but I can definitely see the Coyotes extending an large above market value offer sheet to Matthews if he is not extended by July 1 next year because for them his value would definitely extend beyond his contribution on the ice and could make them relevant to a larger audience.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Why would Matthews leave Tavares, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, Andersen for that? He was recruiting Tavares to come here lol keep living in fantasy land.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Sure, for 10 games or so, then it's right back to packing in 13K with the "all you can eat" ticket package.

Look, I'm trying to insult the loyal fanbase, but let's be realistic, it's been 20+ years and we're still talking about the financial woes of the organization.

Auston Matthews, or Sidney Crosby, or Connor McDavid is going to produce nothing more than a temporary spike in interest. JMO

Bad management + bad ownership + bad arena = bad franchise. You know who used to draw less fans than the Coyotes between 2004 and 2007? The Chicago Blackhawks. Not saying the Coyotes can get to their numbers (they literally can't, their new arena will only seat 16,000) but it's really hard to create loyal fans when everything is a disaster.

Any arena in Glendale was going to fail. When they were in the US Airways (now Talking Stick) they regularly averaged around 15,000 in an arena ill suited for the NHL where capacity was only around 16,000. The new arena in Tempe will be better located, near Arizona State, and closer to the population. They hope to have it done for 19-20.

You know what would be great to kick off your new arena? Hmmmmmmm.

(Just to be clear: I think Auston re-signs in Toronto, I just want to see the offer sheet made)

Why would Matthews

The discussion wasn't about what Matthews would do. It was how the Coyotes could afford it. Matthews might want to quit hockey and be a pro wrestler in a year for all I know. Also the recruit stuff is so easy to twist. Maybe he recruited Tavares so when he leaves Toronto he knows they won't hurt as badly as if he left them without Tavares? OoOoOoH. If you can't accept this as silly fun go be serious elsewhere.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
It's fine guys.

If Arizona wants to offer sheet Matthews the Leafs will just offer sheet.. let's say Laine. Why not.

Sorry Winnipeg. Wish it didn't have to be this way, you can blame HF for planting the idea across the league to offer sheet everyone.
I think Finland is going to offer sheet Laine, after all...All players just want to go home.

Reactions: OmniCube

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That's not the popular opinion around here.

Ask anyone, JVR and Bozak together are more valuable than Tavares.
Together they are now paid $12MM. I guess the leafs needed to downgrade to Tavares for Cap reasons:laugh:

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Not a single player in this league is worth 16 million AAV with the current salary cap. 150 million cap? Okay, we'll talk.

I'll take the 4 1st or whatever it is and roll the dice.

There isn't a single player in the entire league I'd give over 12 milli to. None. Anything above 10 but below 11 is okay, but handicapping. Anything above 11 is destructive and pointless.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Bad management + bad ownership + bad arena = bad franchise. You know who used to draw less fans than the Coyotes between 2004 and 2007? The Chicago Blackhawks. Not saying the Coyotes can get to their numbers (they literally can't, their new arena will only seat 16,000) but it's really hard to create loyal fans when everything is a disaster.

Any arena in Glendale was going to fail. When they were in the US Airways (now Talking Stick) they regularly averaged around 15,000 in an arena ill suited for the NHL where capacity was only around 16,000. The new arena in Tempe will be better located, near Arizona State, and closer to the population. They hope to have it done for 19-20.

You know what would be great to kick off your new arena? Hmmmmmmm.

(Just to be clear: I think Auston re-signs in Toronto, I just want to see the offer sheet made)

The discussion wasn't about what Matthews would do. It was how the Coyotes could afford it. Matthews might want to quit hockey and be a pro wrestler in a year for all I know. Also the recruit stuff is so easy to twist. Maybe he recruited Tavares so when he leaves Toronto he knows they won't hurt as badly as if he left them without Tavares? OoOoOoH. If you can't accept this as silly fun go be serious elsewhere.

LOL great response, keep doing you :popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: Price is Wright

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Arizona going to acquire Hossa. This thread can be killed:thumbu:
The people who bring up Arizona's finances are exactly right. They are broke and can't afford a max contract offer. It's a fantasy.
I am tired of them cheating to reach the cap floor.
Why would Matthews even want to go to an organization like that? Tavares would never play for the Leafs if they were run like that. The "Hometown" thing only works if the team is really good.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
People who hate the Leafs like to dream about it but Matthews wouldn't sign an offer sheet with Arizona if they offered him the Max lmao.

Matthews is going to be a Maple Leaf for a very very long time, get used to it. The Leafs aren't f***ing things up with him like NYI did Tavares.

Reactions: Pyrophorus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad