Proposal: Matthews Offer Sheet from Arizona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get what you're trying to prove, but you do remember Matthews is actually FROM Arizona, right? :laugh:

Unless he's said otherwise, I'm willing to bet he still loves his home state.
Until the coyotes get their business side taken care of, ie arena resolved with strong ownership behind them, outside of playing at home it doesn’t provide Mathews with the opportunity to win.

Is AZ going to spend to the ceiling any time soon?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
True his home will always be his home, just like Toronto being McDavid's home and in a vacuum where he would've wanted to play.

But Hockey players are loyal, and just like McDavid, Matthews will sign an 8 year extension and all this stupidity will be laid to rest.

Also, have you ever been to Toronto? It's far from a frozen tundra :laugh:

Take it from somebody who's been Whitehorse -- not even close.

I know, I laughed when I read the frozen tundra part lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think anybody is saying he doesn't like home, but his opportunities are greater in Toronto, unless he is the type of athlete that doesn't want all the advantages of being in a super large market where hockey is religion and you are treated like a god.

I for one would like to build a great legacy in a real hockey market, and make tons of money outside of hockey to set my family up for life 10 times over, but I can also see the appeal of not being noticed and going about your business in a place you grew up, and around those closest to you. I say this as both an American and Canadian citizen, with ties to both Arizona and Cali.

As far as Toronto goes, just because you hate it, doesn't mean it's ****, and in fact it's a world class city with everything offered imaginable. Personally I am an outdoors person, so I love the west, but Toronto is an urban cosmopolitain metropolis, and that appeals to TONS of players, especially when you are rich. It literally checks every box as a leader in every industry, and that cannot be denied.....unless you just hate it, which is your opinion.
As I said before look at Steven Stamkos and Drew Doughty re-signing with their respective teams. Hell in Doughty's case he didn't want to become a UFA and meet with other teams. That's why John Tavares signing with the Leafs is a rare thing and why there is no evidence that Auston Matthews wants to play with the Coyotes just because he grew up in Scottsdale.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ultimately most players, want to play in a place where they have a chance to win, have a good relationship with the coach and management, and a belief that the organization is headed in the right direction.

A huge number of players come from Ontario, approx 22% of the league with approx 60 coming from the GTA alone. Toronto had a poor franchise for a long time, poor management, and wasn't a real destination for anyone, no matter where they were born. Having said that, where he already is, should have a by far better season this coming season, and from a winning perspective, be far further in his development. I'd say the odds of a signing an Offer Sheet would be remotely small.

If Arizona, is still in Arizona, and they are a top team when Matthews does his subsequent contract, I could see it being an attractive franchise for him, if Toronto is no longer as competitive, or there is management/coaching issues. But that's some nine seasons from now, and plenty can change in the world, between now and then, so not much of a point in speculating.

teleman

Dec 26, 2006
Since 2006 there have been 8 Offer sheets. 8 in 12 years.
Of those 8 the only one to go through was Dustin Penner(Remember Brian Burke losing his **** and wanting to fight Kevin Lowe?)
While it is a possibility this doesn't seem very likely to happen.
But IF it does happen what are the conditions that make it a probability?
None of us know.

member 157595

If Toronto can win at least one Cup in the next 8 years with Auston Matthews in the fold and he wants to go to Arizona at that time, I'd wish him well. Until then, I'm not particularly concerned. I don't think it's very likely that a team with a highly tenuous financial situation is going to offer the max contract for any one player regardless of where he was born and raised.

Auston Matthews alone doesn't make Arizona into the consistently successful team they need to be in order to stay put. Since I don't see any of this Arizona offer sheet talk coming from actual Coyotes fans, the ones on this board appear to already know this.

member 147413

Why is there a speculation tag title for this thread? It’s woefully misrepresentative of the truth, yet it still remains.

Can I make a “Speculation” thread about Barzal to Vancouver? Mittelstadt to Minnesota? Point to Calgary?

member 157595

Why is there a speculation tag title for this thread? It’s woefully misrepresentative of the truth, yet it still remains.

Can I make a “Speculation” thread about Barzal to Vancouver? Mittelstadt to Minnesota? Point to Calgary?

It sure doesn't seem like enough people on this board are frothing at the mouth at the idea of those franchises losing their respective players...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Since 2006 there have been 8 Offer sheets. 8 in 12 years.
Of those 8 the only one to go through was Dustin Penner(Remember Brian Burke losing his **** and wanting to fight Kevin Lowe?)
While it is a possibility this doesn't seem very likely to happen.
But IF it does happen what are the conditions that make it a probability?
None of us know.
Among those offer sheets two of them were from the Oilers and Kevin Lowe. Remember prior to the Penner offer sheet he also offered one to Tomas Vanek that was signed and matched right away by the Sabres.

member 147413

It sure doesn't seem like enough people on this board are frothing at the mouth at the idea of those franchises losing their respective players...
The Islanders just lost a star and no one is worried Barzal may leave? Buffalo has sucked ass for years and Mittelstadt may “want to win”. Tampa is unlikely able to afford an offer sheet for Point

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
This is what happens when people oversimplify a situation and try to predict future results.

"JT signed in Toronto because it's his home town" is what is being used as the main argument that Matthews will sign in Arizona, but it overlooks all the other reasons JT had to do so. The current team, possible line-mates, and the future of the franchise were all bigger factors in his decision. Dubas didn't even play up the "coming home" in his pitch; it was focused on the current team and plans for the future to maintain a competitive team. JT mentioned that the feelings of excitement of his hometown team came bubbling to the surface during these talks, but the possible success of the franchise were the key in making it happen. This has been mentioned several times in this thread, but people keep coming back to the home town factor while ignoring all the others.

If that little sliver of hope is enough for some of you to cling onto that Matthews will leave Toronto, feel free to take the Lloyd Christmas approach to playing the percentages.

member 157595

The Islanders just lost a star and no one is worried Barzal may leave? Buffalo has sucked ass for years and Mittelstadt may “want to win”. Tampa is unlikely able to afford an offer sheet for Point

You're missing my point. There are many hockey fans that are basically ambivalent about the Islanders, Sabres and Lightning. How many NHL fans in Canada are ambivalent about the Toronto Maple Leafs? Putting forth a controversial idea involving the Leafs is unfortunately guaranteed to elicit a significant reaction in today's social media climate, where the only bad publicity is no publicity.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Everybody should just see how disappointed Matthews looks here having to play with Tavares, because this clearly shows he wants to leave right away and play for the Coyotes. :sarcasm:

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Many Americans think we live in snow forts and eat whale blubber for food, you can't expect them to realize lol
That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. You’d think they would be more informed about the country that borders them. Murica.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
That’s the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. You’d think they would be more informed about the country that borders them. Murica.

LOL well I was being a little dramatic, and sadly I am half American, and see the ignorance all too often.

However, I also meet many lovely people all over, but I have to wonder how many can be so ignorant at times.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Don't you get it HFboards? It's over, you lose.

giphy.gif

your simpsons references have been off the hook

Reactions: X66

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If Zona can do it cap wise I'd love to see them make the offer. Toronto is going to pay top dollar anyways but any talk of Toronto being a rich hickey city and zona not is totally irrelevant, the cap is what matters.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Should be locked. Point 1 hes under contract..point 2 he will be signed way before his elc is over.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
If Zona can do it cap wise I'd love to see them make the offer. Toronto is going to pay top dollar anyways but any talk of Toronto being a rich hickey city and zona not is totally irrelevant, the cap is what matters.
The INTERNAL cap is what matters in this situation, Toronto has none, Arizona does. So when you think of Arizona's cap, think a lot lower then 80+ million.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No. Do you?
Other big market teams are in the same situation. Guaranteed if there was support from Leafs, Bruins, Rangers, Canadians, Blackhawks and Canucks, there would be pressure to move to a soft cap like baseball.

edit:should have included flyers

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Other big market teams are in the same situation. Guaranteed if there was support from Leafs, Bruins, Rangers, Canadians, Blackhawks and Canucks, there would be pressure to move to a soft cap like baseball.

edit:should have included flyers
A new CBA will have to be negotiated in the next few years so it is possible. I just wrote a post about the cap that I guess was a bit confusing to what I meant though I explained later. That poster is either too dumb to continue reading the messages or just wants to mess with me. I guess I am a little miffed at that too.

Reactions: Notsince67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad