Matthews + Marner vs Barzal + Laine

Which pair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

member 262271

Oh dear lord. AKA another undervalue/trash the Leafs' talent thread. YAAAAAWN.

Reactions: Kelly

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Barzal still has time to take his team into the playoffs. Even if he doesn’t, at least make a go of it until game 82. I don’t want to see him simply put up points. I want to see him help his team win games to jolt them up in the standings.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
It's either that, or you're making a comparison that is awfully lopsided because, again. Laine is not an Islander, and Barzal is not a jet.

I didn't make any comparison, I didn't make the thread.
The assumption that this poll was created to crap on Leafs players is quite frankly sad and delusional. I don't really see the point, but there are a ton of threads in the polls section that combine players from multiple teams. To me, this is a pretty close and interesting comparison regardless of team affiliation.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Real fans don't change team allegiances but I do see you jump on the bandwagon on whatever's hot...this year it was Barzal, next year it will be the next hot shot rookie.
Real fans don't keep posting on a team's board when they are no longer fans of that team. As I said, I am a fan of players. I like Barzal, Laine and if you think I am not being biased have posted commentary comments on JVR. My posting habits reflect a NHL point of view rather than focused on a singular team.

This poll and choice easily favour Laine and Barzal. I am not sure what you are objecting here? Laine is the best goal scorer of the 4 players and Barzal the best playmaker. Seems like the correct choice based on results of the poll. This one is one HF boards got right.

Reactions: IPS

member 262271

I didn't make any comparison, I didn't make the thread.
The assumption that this poll was created to crap on Leafs players is quite frankly sad and delusional. I don't really see the point, but there are a ton of threads in the polls section that combine players from multiple teams. To me, this is a pretty close and interesting comparison regardless of team affiliation.
My bad, when I was saying "you're" I mean the OP. I've seen enough on these boards to know that it isn't a delusion that the Leafs get shit on just to cause a reaction. (Hey, it works, right!?) This thread to me fits neatly in the ongoing narrative that Laine is better than Matthews and Barzal is better than Marner. I could of course be wrong, but I think it stinks.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Real fans don't keep posting on a team's board when they are no longer fans of that team. As I said, I am a fan of players. I like Barzal, Laine and if you think I am not being biased have posted commentary comments on JVR. My posting habits reflect a NHL point of view rather than focused on a singular team.

This poll and choice easily favour Laine and Barzal. I am not sure what you are objecting here? Laine is the best goal scorer of the 4 players and Barzal the best playmaker. Seems like the correct choice based on results of the poll. This one is one HF boards got right.

Not sure how you can make that judgement....Matthews beat Laine in goals handily last year, had 28 in 53 before getting injured, Laine at the same time had 24

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I'll look for you next year when the stats are down and want to hear all the excuses. My bet " Well Tavares left so now team's are keying in on him more" but he doesn't play with Tavares right.

Great reply dude... A+. So the stats don’t add up. I’m waiting for you to tell me who’s stats don’t add up. I even said it’s possible his production goes down :laugh:. Your opinion is total bullshit, and that’s become more than clear, but there’s a chance it ends up right. Congrats I guess

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

Out of all the young talent on the leafs Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Dermott, Kaps.....etc. You pick JVR? A guy who more then likely won't be a leaf next year.:laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure how you can make that judgement....Matthews beat Laine in goals handily last year, had 28 in 53 before getting injured, Laine at the same time had 24
If it isn't visually convincing to you who has the better shot. Then look at the actual stats, Laine the more goals in less games. 43 in 72. With 10 more games to go. Laine has proven to be the better goal scorer at 19. Injuries only count in what if arguments. Barzal also has the most assists of any of the 4 players mentioned in also 72 games with 10 more to go. It's an accurate judgment based on facts, not projection or what ifs.
Out of all the young talent on the leafs Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Dermott, Kaps.....etc. You pick JVR? A guy who more then likely won't be a leaf next year.:laugh:
Thread is on Laine/Barzal/Marner/Mathews. Not on my choices.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Buddy I have posted before that what Laine is doing right now is a hot streak. His shooting percentage is absurdly high since February 23rd. He's not generating enough shots on his own to score this many goals long term.
I think he proved already that he is the real deal. He's no mere "hot streak" one-hit wonder.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'm gonna laugh next season when Barzal comes back down to earth and people look very foolish.
Well, he set the bar very high, so it's possible.
However, I wonder when those highly touted sophomores of yours will even get there (= to Barzal's performance) in the first place.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Didn't you like Matthews prior to the 2016 draft lottery and changed your opinion about him the moment the Leafs won the 1st overall pick to select him.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
My bad, when I was saying "you're" I mean the OP. I've seen enough on these boards to know that it isn't a delusion that the Leafs get **** on just to cause a reaction. (Hey, it works, right!?) This thread to me fits neatly in the ongoing narrative that Laine is better than Matthews and Barzal is better than Marner. I could of course be wrong, but I think it stinks.

Laine has certainly taken some steps lately to show that he may have more game. Unfortunately, Matthews has been injured or he may be right there, who knows. At this point, I think its nuts to say one is clearly better than the other. If Laine can continue his upward trajectory... Holy crap.

Anyway, my point is that it doesn't do much good to just chalk it up to Leaf hate. I enjoy debating with some of the great Leafs fans on here who know their stuff (yes @zeke included). Fans with differing opinions who can express them in logical and mature posts are fun to debate with. Just ignore the noise from both sides.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Didn't you like Matthews prior to the 2016 draft lottery and changed your opinion about him the moment the Leafs won the 1st overall pick to select him.
How would this question pertain to who is the better coupling? I already explained my choice. Accept it or move on.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Great reply dude... A+. So the stats don’t add up. I’m waiting for you to tell me who’s stats don’t add up. I even said it’s possible his production goes down :laugh:. Your opinion is total bull****, and that’s become more than clear, but there’s a chance it ends up right. Congrats I guess

So you had Barzal having this kind of rookie year? Same with Josh Bailey? William Karlsson over there on the Knights...the fact is scoring is up this year compared to previous years. No guarantee that continues or doesn't regress, look how many guys are close to or over PPG this year compared to last.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsNation75

member 262271

Well, he set the bar very high, so it's possible.
However, I wonder when those highly touted sophomores of yours will even get there (= to Barzal's performance) in the first place.
Individual stats aren't a great argument in this case. Barzal's team is in a less than ideal spot right now. I'll take Leaf team success with their sophomores who aren't as great as Barzal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad