Which pair?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So you had Barzal having this kind of rookie year? Same with Josh Bailey? William Karlsson over there on the Knights...the fact is scoring is up this year compared to previous years. No guarantee that continues or doesn't regress. look how many guys are close to or over PPG this year compared to last.
I wouldn't be surprised if next season Josh Bailey turns into what David Clarkson did. Remember he had the career year prior to becoming a UFA and look what happened to him after he signed that horrible contract in Toronto, so was it a shock to anyone Bailey did the same thing prior to almost becoming a UFA?

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So you had Barzal having this kind of rookie year? Same with Josh Bailey? William Karlsson over there on the Knights...the fact is scoring is up this year compared to previous years. No guarantee that continues or doesn't regress. look how many guys are close to or over PPG this year compared to last.

No guarantees Barzal doesn't take a step fwd next year either. Most would think a year of NHL experience for a first year 20 year old Center would be advantageous. BTW Barzal was leading the Isles in scoring to some guy named Tavares. Same system, same results. The notion that Barzal has peaked as a rookie as the one you are playing up here hoping he flops next year is ridiculous. He's a great player that passes both the eye test and stats test.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Individual stats aren't a great argument in this case. Barzal's team is in a less than ideal spot right now. I'll take Leaf team success with their sophomores who aren't as great as Barzal.

Switch Andersen for Halak and I think the gap in team success wouldn't be very large.
Anyway, this whole "took his team to the playoffs" thing is over blown. Are Geaudreau and McDavid bad players now? It takes more than a couple of good players to make a team.

Reactions: Fluke Schenn

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

You aren’t even replying to my posts. 1 Barzal is a rookie so there’s no body of work to compare like karlsson and bailey. 2 no I didn’t say it’s guaranteed to continue. I said you’re opinion of he WILL (as an absolute) regress is stupid

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How would this question pertain to who is the better coupling? I already explained my choice. Accept it or move on.
So if the Leafs had drafted Barzal instead of Marner which you said they should have done and let's say Barzal was having the same season in Toronto we are seeing now, you wouldn't be trying to put him down like you do all Maple Leafs players because of your bias hate towards them. So when you say the Leafs should have selected Barzal it's easy to say after the fact when that never happened.

member 262271

Switch Andersen for Halak and I think the gap in team success wouldn't be very large.
Anyway, this whole "took his team to the playoffs" thing is over blown. Are Geaudreau and McDavid bad players now? It takes more than a couple of good players to make a team.
I disagree with the Halak/Andersen swap bit, the Islanders are either incapable of playing defensively sound hockey or are just straight up playing pond hockey. I've seen it enough times to know it, if the Isles play a tighter defensive system it's quite possible their player's point totals go down. I'll be really interested to see them next year.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You aren’t even replying to my posts. 1 Barzal is a rookie so there’s no body of work to compare like karlsson and bailey. 2 no I didn’t say it’s guaranteed to continue. I said you’re opinion of he WILL (as an absolute) regress is stupid

The kid is near PPG as a rookie.....8 guys were PPG last season, it's a pretty clear bet he'll regress.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So if the Leafs had drafted Barzal instead of Marner which you said they should have done and let's say Barzal was having the same season in Toronto we are seeing now, you wouldn't be trying to put him down like you do all Maple Leafs players because of your bias hate towards them. So when you say the Leafs should have selected Barzal it's easy to say after the fact when that never happened.
This bias hate card you continually play here with posters is really getting tiresome. If you cannot accept posters opinions here on the Main board, this may not be the place for you to post. I gave you my reasons why I think Barzal and Laine will be a better duo. Based on voters, they agree overwhelmingly with me. Time for you to accept others opinions on an Opinion board or move on.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This bias hate card you continually play here with posters is really getting tiresome. If you cannot accept posters opinions here on the Main board, this may not be the place for you to post. I gave you my reasons why I think Barzal and Laine will be a better duo. Based on voters, they agree overwhelmingly with me. Time for you to accept others opinions on an Opinion board or move on.
The more you keep dancing around the question without answering it is proof enough about what you really think.

Also as others said since Barzal and Laine play on different teams they can never be a duo, considering that Matthews and Marner play on the same team. Based on that fact alone Matthews and Marner should have won this poll in a landslide.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I disagree with the Halak/Andersen swap bit, the Islanders are either incapable of playing defensively sound hockey or are just straight up playing pond hockey. I've seen it enough times to know it, if the Isles play a tighter defensive system it's quite possible their player's point totals go down. I'll be really interested to see them next year.

Yeah, I definitely don't think the goalie swap would make them even, just closer. You're right, the Isles team defensive play is atrocious. I don't think its all personnel (although their blue line is suspect), but probably mostly coaching.

member 262271

The more you keep dancing around the question without answering it is proof enough about what you really think.

Also as others said since Barzal and Laine play on different teams they can never be a duo, considering that Matthews and Marner play on the same team. Based on that fact alone Matthews and Marner should have won this poll in a landslide.
I don't know if he thinks he's being subtle or what? We all have biases but it's damned smug when you pretend you don't have one.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You think he's peaked as a 20 year old rookie?
Do you also think Marner has peaked?

Hard to tell, I need a bigger sample size, Marner struggled early this year but now is looking like he'll top even last year's great season, if Barzal does the same next year he'll have proved me wrong if he becomes a 40-50 point player well then that's what most expected out of him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

You can't even get that right. Matthews and Marner don't even play on the same line and they are on the same team. Now coach Babcock who you said is a very smart coach has decided this. So your point is not a good one. It doesn't take much imagination on how Laine and Barzal would benefit each other. Best shooter and goal scorer in this thread playing with the best playmaker and chance generating Center on this thread. 1+1 = Barzal and Laine. Easy decision. As 71% to 29% would indicate.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

Huh?
So Kadri - Marleau is also a better duo than McDavid - Kucherov because they play on the same team?
I don't understand the logic.

There are often polls made on this very board with combinations of players from different teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You can't even get that right. Matthews and Marner don't even play on the same line and they are on the same team. Now coach Babcock who you said is a very smart coach has decided this. So your point is not a good one. It doesn't take much imagination on how Laine and Barzal would benefit each other. Best shooter and goal scorer in this thread playing with the best playmaker and chance generating Center on this thread. 1+1 = Barzal and Laine. Easy decision.
Do you not realize that anytime he wants Mike Babcock can put Matthews and Marner on the same line together. So I'm still correct about what I previously said since they play on the same NHL team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Huh?
So Kadri - Marleau is also a better duo than McDavid - Kucherov because they play on the same team?
I don't understand the logic.

There are often polls made on this very board with combinations of players from different teams.
What I'm saying is it's stupid to not select Matthews or Marner because they play on the same team and could possibly play together on the same line. With Barzal and Laine or McDavid and Kucherov that's all fan fiction since they play on different teams and can not be a duo.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
What I'm saying is it's stupid to not select Matthews or Marner because they play on the same team and could possibly play together on the same line. With Barzal and Laine or McDavid and Kucherov that's all fan fiction since they play on different teams and can not be a duo.

Look around the polls forum. There are often polls made up of "Team A vs Team B" on which none of the players are from the same teams. It's obviously all hypothetical and asking for an opinion based on the relative skill level of the players involved.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Do you not realize that anytime he wants Mike Babcock can put Matthews and Marner on the same line together. So I'm still correct about what I previously said since they play on the same NHL team.

Huh? Back to random posting again? It's an irrelevant point in this discussion of which duo would be better. If you want to debate why the best goal scorer in Laine and the best playmaker in this thread would not be a better match. Then let's hear your reasons why not?

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I hope Laine and Barzal playing on this magical team together have a really defensively responsible Left Winger.

Based on my viewings, Laine is prone to the odd brain fart and bad giveaway, but is often the first man back, and is more than fine defensively.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I hope Laine and Barzal playing on this magical team together have a really defensively responsible Left Winger.

Why they are both defensively responsible players.

Based on my viewings, Laine is prone to the odd brain fart and bad giveaway, but is often the first man back, and is more than fine defensively.

Yes he is. And so does Barzal who is already the Isles best 2 way center.

Last edited:

member 262271

Yeah tbh I didn't give Laine enough credit his defensive game has really improved this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad