Post-Game Talk: Matthews makes history and Leafs send Dubas one step closer to the golf course

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Thought it was a pretty pretty good game.

Pens came out hard, they played a very good first. Leafs withstood and I felt took over the game for the most part. Nice pass from Sid to setup the tying goal, opportunistic.

Both goalies made some excellent saves. Thought the Leafs were a bit unlucky to have only scored two in regulation... maybe the Pens were as well.

Didn't really dislike anyone's game. Rielly has to be better come playoff time, but was fine.

Matthews is a beaut! Thought all the big boys played well. Tavares is done being a major impact player, he will have to find his spots. Having seen it in two games now I do believe Marner with him is the right move. McMann is a player. His ability to seemingly glide around the ice at pace is a difference maker.

Not that I agree with it, but I feel Timmy is replacing Benoit when he is healthy :-(

This was a bit of an unexpected win for me, just with the Pens being desperate and the Leafs more or less settled in. Kudos to the group for making the game matter to them.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Leafs are good. Sammy is great. Matthews is unstoppable.

1712635666956.png

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Sullivan and Keefe go to the same coaching school? Starts Lars Eller over Crosby in ot. That's galaxy braining for the ages lol.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They played a pretty good game, I thought the Pens were slightly better.
Would have preferred they held the 2-1 lead, tying goal was a little weak.

Reactions: horner and Petrus

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Bitterness only degrades life. How does it benefit? It only shows a person has emotional immaturity and the inability to reason.

Bitterness breeds rivalries. Rivalries build the game of hockey. It is part of the history of the sport. You are over analyzing this. I do not care an iota about Dubas- in fact good luck to him except against us.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Why do they never do our GM up top? Dubas is gone, let it go.
It’s crazy what a polarizing figure he is. How often do they actually ever show Tre? When Dubas was the gm here it was always multiple times a game.

That being said him stalking out of the building was fantastic lol
I'd say about half the league is currently coasting for the sake of just getting to the end of the regular season. The season is too long and there are too many garbage games. The only benefit is that I expect the Leafs will win all, or close to all, of their remaining games because in garbage time talent usually prevails. It will get them home ice, but I can't decide if that is a good thing or not.
i don’t think home ice matters at all. Starting on the road would probably help.

Reactions: CuuuJooo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Tying goal was d-zone coverage and puck ownership.

It isn't a team strength.
Looked like the Puck went through the goalie from my seat.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
We've all done things we regret after a night of drinking at a Trans bar.
One night in Bangkok...oops :eek3::oops:;)

I love how all the talk about matthews needing marner has gone away. Always a dumb argument. Marner right now looks a little lost if anything.

I do think they will have to put them back because nylander needs helpand i think tavares works better as the 3rd liner with grinders.

Bertuzzi Matthews Marner
Knies Domi Nylander
McMann Tavares Jarnkrok
In the D zone, Domi and Nylander would scare the crap out of me.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Bitterness only degrades life. How does it benefit? It only shows a person has emotional immaturity and the inability to reason.
There’s a big difference between walking around all day every day obsessing over somebody and having a fan reaction to your sports team either online or with buddies. That’s part of what makes sports fun.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'd love to get Edmundson and Lily back.
I would try Willy with Mitch on line 2, dropping Tavares back to 3C.
I'd go Woll next game (he'll stop the first shot, won't he?) followed by Jones.
Hot Take #1
Bobby McMann is going to surprise some people come the playoffs. His game keeps getting better.
Hot Take #2
A Tale of 2 Seasons: The Ilya Samsonov Story, or “What happened last time? Nine goals? f*** that shit.” Whatever changed, I see a guy who no longer defeats himself, but channels his emotions towards proving others wrong. He may not be the best goalie on the ice, but I think he'll be a goalie the team can count on to give the best he has to give, and if the numbers continue to trend as they have during the last 22 games, goaltending won't be our biggest concern.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
On other days I would agree with you, but tonight, Dubas came to town. He is a part of the conversation.
Just like we do when every other team and GM come to town.

No, this is nothing more than a bizarre, unhealthy obsession.

Like who cares....he's gone, he sucks. Move on with your life, you'll feel better.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Just like we do when every other team and GM come to town.

No, this is nothing more than a bizarre, unhealthy obsession.

Like who cares....he's gone, he sucks. Move on with your life, you'll feel better.
Former GM, coach and players- yes exactly like that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Would have liked to have played better, but got the win, and Matthews got 65. Nice to see Sammy still holding strong too. Seems to be on a roll heading to the playoffs, with home ice still technically achievable. Wish there was a little more maturity in the fanbase though. Dubas must be worth a fortune with all this free rental space in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad